Subject: Microbadge Design Award: Round 17 (January 2017) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
mb is given out for excellence in microbadge design, so here is your chance to acknowledge some of the quality designers out there. This is arguably the most prestigious microbadge design award, and the current way of giving it out only comes round every 6 months, and only up to 3 designers will get it each time, so if you're interested in participating, don't hold back!

You can more or less see the award as a lifetime achievement award, even though any designer (new or old, with many or few sales or badges) can have it awarded to them, as long as they fulfill the following criteria:

Successfully and appealingly representing five difficult images and/or complex ideas in the restrictive 16x16 pixel format.

mb How this works, in a nutshell mb
mb Any mb owner can nominate two different designers, including themselves. In order to do that, simply send me a geekmail stating the usernames of the designers you wish to nominate. There's no need to provide any information on the designer or why you are nominating them, but it is very helpful if you include 4-5 of their designs that you think are particularly good.
mb A nomination list will be compiled from the received nominations, and voting volunteers will receive a multi-option poll via geekmail to choose who is worthy of the award this time round. Any mb owner can volunteer to vote simply by geekmailing me and stating just that.
mb The poll described above will determine who, from 0 to 3 designers, will receive the award.

mb Time constraints mb
mb You have about 1 week from this post to make your nominations and/or volunteer to be a voter (until February 1st, 2017).
mb The poll will be sent out to all voters within a day or two after the nomination/voting volunteering is over, and any nomination/voting conflicts have been dealt with.
mb Up to a week will be given for volunteers to vote. If there are no ties, the final results should be known about a week after nominations close.

mb What do you have to do, and how can you participate? mb
mb You want to nominate someone and are a mb owner? Simply geekmail me your nomination list, which may include up to two designers and which may include yourself, preferably with a list of 5 of their best microbadges.
mb You want to vote on who receives the award and are a mb owner? Simply geekmail me stating that you volunteer to vote! (If you are not a mb owner, you still may be able to vote, as up to two guest judges are allowed)

mb Complete award rules mb

General approach:
mb A new thread to be created here in the guild, asking for nominations and for voting volunteers (voters). Nominations and voting volunteering performed by sending a geekmail to the moderator (in this case, me). The moderator is not necessarily a voter or makes any nominations.
mb Nominators, who must be mb owners, may nominate up to two different microbadge designers (with no limitations, including themselves). Although not mandatory, every nomination may be accompanied with a list of 5 of the designer's exceptional badges (badges that are more complex than a wooden cube).
mb Voters, who must be mb owners, except for up to two guest voters, may not be on the nomination poll (i.e., if you want to be in the running, don't volunteer to be a voter). If someone volunteers to be a voter and is nominated by someone else, that user will be given the choice of which role he or she wants to have.
mb A committee of at least 6 members is setup. The committee will usually be composed of up to twelve voters (with a maximum of two guests), if there are more volunteers than that, some further adjustments might be made.
mb All received nominated designers are put into a multi-voting poll and geekmailed to the committee's members.
mb The nomination lists and polls' results are kept private and only accessible to the committee. The only publicly available information is the committee's composition and the final awarded designer list, if any.

Periodicity and poll:
mb A new committee to be formed every 6 months. No restrictions on each new committee exist (i.e., somebody can participate in all of them, just one, whatever).
mb Each committee, so every 6 months, may award up to 3 designers with mb (0 to 3 awards). In the case that more than 3 designers would be awarded at the end of the poll, a simpler tie-breaker poll will be used to check who is to receive the award.
mb In order for a designer to receive the award, he or she must have at least all but one votes (or all but two, in case of over 10 voters) in the multi-voting.

Limitations:
mb Nominators must be mb owners.
mb All voters must be mb owners, except for up to two guest voters.
mb Prior or current microbadge admins are exempt from the previous two restrictions.
mb Voters may not be on the nomination poll (i.e., if you want to be in the running, don't volunteer to be a voter).

Other stuff:
mb Any unforeseen situations will be dealt with common sense. Unforeseen settings that can't be dealt with common sense in an obvious manner shall be discussed and decided upon here.
mb Everything related to the award will be announced here. The final result of this whole thing will also be announced in the main microbadge thread.

mb Award history mb
You can find out more about the award at
Microbadge Design award (quality award),
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 01,
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 02 (round 6),
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 03 (round 7),
Microbadge Design Award: Season 02, Episode 04 (round 8),
Microbadge Design Award: Round 9,
Microbadge Design Award: Round 10 (March 2013),
Microbadge Design Award: Round 11 (September 2013),
Microbadge Design Award: Round 12 (March 2014),
Microbadge Design Award: Round 13 (September 2014),
Microbadge Design Award - Round 14 [March 2015],
Microbadge Design Award - Round 15 (September 2015),
Microbadge Design Award: Round 16 (April 2016).

28 designers have been awarded mb in the past, which are: Munin, simonh, TabbySunLion, Debate, jgrundy, mrbeankc, garion, rmidjord, kevintlee, Lajos, spearjr, indigopotter, wildthayne,
drewdane, Bail Organa, zorro_jv, anomander64, schwartzkopf, crazylegs, Delinear, Kattvippa, Kaffedrake, entwife, Thorin2001, cinderbike, Dunyc, edbolme, and nunovix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I am listed twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
Words empty as the wind are best left unsaid – Homer
badge
Spinning out of control!
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:

Twice as good as the rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Candiani
Italy
Brescia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:

Probably, for the same reason I am not listed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyc wrote:
edbolme wrote:

Probably, for the same reason I am not listed!

Because you're my body double?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
I volunteer to vote. In fact, I did last month without realizing I was supposed to officially volunteer.

Strangely, this was my New Year's resolution - to participate in recognizing microbadge creators by voting every month in 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryuu wrote:
I volunteer to vote. In fact, I did last month without realizing I was supposed to officially volunteer.

Strangely, this was my New Year's resolution - to participate in recognizing microbadge creators by voting every month in 2017.

The monthly badge votes are different than this. This is for the mb design award, that happens every 6 months-ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
indigopotter wrote:
Ryuu wrote:

The monthly badge votes are different than this. This is for the mb design award, that happens every 6 months-ish.

Oh! Whoops! Please disregard my post!
Thank you for clarifying.
blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are people who already have the reward excluded? Or is 3x the limit? If so, how do you know? (I have 0 bw)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand your question, yes, it is a one-time award. Ed was listed twice because I don't know how to type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinderbike wrote:
If I understand your question, yes, it is a one-time award. Ed was listed twice because I don't know how to type.

Ah cool, thanks. Well, 3 people, except everyone who's already got one, can be nominated. I'd love to nominate some people. I'll pm you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have twelve people for voting so we are good on that front (you can still volunteer as a backup). Thanks everyone who volunteered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cinderbike wrote:
I have twelve people for voting so we are good on that front (you can still volunteer as a backup). Thanks everyone who volunteered.

Oh allright then Well, that means I can be a nominee then yay!
Oh wait a sec, no, I meant I'd love to nominate people, which I did by pming you I Nominated two people as stated. I wasn't volunteering for the voting committe. (If I understood all those rules correctly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can nominate others AND vote. You just can't be a nominee and vote yourself (for obvious reasons).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two days left to send me your nomination(s)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last call for nominations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for spearheading this, cinder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. I'm writing up the list right now - if you volunteered to vote, keep an eye on your PMs (and if anyone needs to withdraw now would be the time to let me know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kobell
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

The results for Round 17 of the prestigious Microbadge Design Award are in! Thank you to the voting committee and to everyone who submitted nominations. For this round we have 2 very deserving recipients!

And the awards go to...

Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

and

Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

mb mb mb mb mb mb

mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

Congratulations Billy and Kenneth!

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo-hoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to the winners! And thanks cinder for running it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Billy and Kenneth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Congrats to the winners! And thanks cinder for running it.

+1 (or +2, in this case...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert VG
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to both of you, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
A big congrats to both of you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.