Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I've been fooling around with the Firefight Generator a little bit in the last week or so.

I've been trying to use it in a somewhat different fashion than what the rules are proposing. Rather than setting up the scenario and then rolling dice at the end to choose which side I will play, I thought it might be fun to choose my own side right at the beginning and then roll for AI choices randomly - I'm doing even/odd to choose which of the 2 cards are used and then even/odd to choose between top/bottom of AIs card.

This would hopefully let me link together a few battles in a sort of solo campaign. I'm not trying to carry my units forward or anything. I would just like to play German attacks until I lose and then I'll play a German defense until I win again.

I've also been trying to see if I could get battles for just general categories of games such as German attack, Russian attack or meeting engagement. I'm not doing anything too fancy here - if it's a German attack, it just means that the Russian AI can't choose more cards for troops than the German player and vice versa.

My first experiments with Guideline 1 were fairly promising and then I moved onto Guideline 2 to get a slightly bigger battle.

I've generated about 4-5 firefights in a row which really haven't been very satisfying at all. It's not that they have been unbalanced or anything - they just haven't been that interesting. There has been very little "Germans attacking Russian positions" which is what I was really hoping for. Most units for both sides have been entering from offboard. Most objective hexes have ended up being unoccupied at the start leading to more of a "meeting engagement" feel where we both rush in from offboard to grab the objective before the first round ends.

There's a bizarre little "Recover" action that has had my Germans popping in from offboard to grab a victory objective 4 hexes in and moving it back offboard for 5 VP. Usually the Russians are entering from the other side of the map and can do little to stop me. Not sure what this is supposed to really represent - a cache of weapons, wounded comrades?

Any tips on generating firefights where the general situation (Germans must capture town held by Russians) is known in advance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a match of Germans must capture town held by Russians,

I'd place all the Russians on the map first around the objective, and then place the Germans just within range of fighting, preferably behind some trees to get them moving towards the objective.

Having the units on map and close to battle from the beginning seems to work better for the solo deck. Or making the AI Group-Move to get them attacking sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly use the Firefight Generator just to get balanced sides, then I setup those units and objectives how I'd like the battle to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
I received my copy of the FFG a couple days ago and I'm still trying to understand how it works. I don't have the rules in front of me but I seem to remember that they encourage the player to be creative.

One of the ways to make things more volatile and therefore interesting is to use Mission Track tiles. Is anyone out there just adding a couple extra Mission Track tiles even if the generation process doesn't call for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.