Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Dark Mark variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, my girlfriend and I playtested a variant and it came out absolutely to the wire - I was one card away from killing Voldemort, before he killed us. I couldn't have asked for a more successful playtest, so I'm sharing here and hoping we can get some more tweaks and suggestions.

I've done the full write-up on my blog here: http://www.octopustactics.com/harry-potter-hogwarts-battle-t...

There's a lot of changes working together here. The core idea is that it should be pretty darn hard to remove Villain Control tokens ("Dark Marks"). Also that there should be fewer easy villains to reduce the runtime and prevent you stopping on them for a break; but the hardest villains should not be in the initial draw.

I hope you can give it a try and see if it scratches your itch or if you've got any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree the game tends towards brutal losses or easy wins, it strikes me that removing the bulk of location removal seriously nerfs Harry Potter's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's absolutely true. I've proposed the possible remedy of replacing Harry's main power with a second Proficiency power - but this isn't playtested. I'd say the sacrifice of Harry's power is worth it for the tighter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
The variant is certainly interesting.

It's too bad that playtesting did not bring out the issues with the runaway win/loss as a little more development could have turned this game into one of the all-time greats.

I don't know that my family will try this, given the many changes required and the fact that we always play with 4. But perhaps they will be willing to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Austin
msg tools
ccmonter wrote:
It's too bad that playtesting did not bring out the issues with the runaway win/loss as a little more development could have turned this game into one of the all-time greats.

I agree. This game certainly does have to potential to be one of the all-time greats. There are certainly some hitches but the fundamentals are so strong. Given this, I believe that the issues mentioned could still be fixed with a well designed expansion. Not just more cards, more playable characters, more villains...etc. While I think those are important (as many have stated, making a 6 player expansion with Luna and Ginny- playable Game 5/6/7- make great sense to round out the DA), what will really elevate the game is a new function of some kind. I don't know what or how, but I do know that the game hasn't yet lost its viability to be a truly remarkable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of an expansion that rounds out the experience for non-campaign play! But it was pricey enough getting it to the UK as-is, and I can imagine it's hard to design an expansion that suits everyone, since some people will want to replay the campaign while others would rather have one solid repeatable experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Monterroso
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
If you are not having fun, then you are missing the point.
mbmbmbmbmb
TsionBenJudah1 wrote:
I don't know what or how, but I do know that the game hasn't yet lost its viability to be a truly remarkable game.

Unfortunately, in these days and times, a game really needs to make its splash upon initial release. Soon, a shiny new game will come along to take the focus and attention.

If a game hasn't made its mark a few months after release, it likely never will.

HPHB has made its mark. And it's that of a very good game with a fantastic theme that wasn't quite completely developed, leaving the experience just short of fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Austin
msg tools
ccmonter wrote:
HPHB has made its mark. And it's that of a very good game with a fantastic theme that wasn't quite completely developed, leaving the experience just short of fantastic.

Perhaps but a wisely built expansion could still fix the issues and make it a fantastic game regardless of the general impression people have of it. I don't care if it's renowned as one of the all time greats; I just care if it plays like it. I think it can, and if it does get fixed it may make a comeback. In the meantime I think it's still a really fun game and am going to play a round with my wife just as soon as we finish the episode of Sherlock we're on :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sanchez
United States
Pontiac
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Game disrupting cats, resting for the next game night.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the idea and write up. We were running into the same issues as everyone else - some really great games, but quite a few clunkers based on luck of the draw.

We gave this a couple tests last night with 3 and got beat pretty handily. Not having the weak villains and a more predictable/progressive draw does make for a better flow.

In both we were in the game for a while and it was moving well, but had bad luck getting any control removal cards so it was just a matter of time.

The second game we allowed villain defeat benefits. Next time we may go with game 5 locations and see what that does, but if we had a few removal cards earlier I think we would have been closer.

We will try it again, certainly goes a long way to balancing this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving it a shot!

After a couple of trials with 4, I've come to the conclusion that for a good 'normal difficulty' balance, 3 players would need to be using the locations from Game 5 and 4 players would need to try Game 6. It's just so likely that the heroes will all get stunned once in the first few rounds, that we need to account for the extra Dark Marks being laid down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Have you made any more changes to this interesting variant of yours ? I am excited to know what they are if you have done so !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runner_boy_4ever wrote:
Have you made any more changes to this interesting variant of yours ? I am excited to know what they are if you have done so !

Only a tweak - that 4 player games should use the Game 6 location deck or it gets really really hard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.