14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Scanning linen cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game with very nice cards that have a linen finish. A few of the cards are rather NSFW and I want to get scan them in (1200 ppi), touch them up in Photoshop and get my new versions printed out. The problem is, when I scanned them in, the linen finish causes a pattern. Does anyone know how I can remove this pattern or if it will cause issues when I try to print out the card? It seems to me that it will since the areas where I alter the card won't have the pattern.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried scanning at a lower ppi? 1200 is overkill I think. I always mess up dpi and ppi all all that stuff but whether I'm thinking of the right one or not a lower scan might work. The typical suggestion is to have a resolution of about 350 dpi when printing cards for pnps, thats what I'm kinda basing this off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Descreen settings of scanner and scanning under some degree (15-45°).

Also then use some Photoshop filters. Result:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know about descreening. I see it now in the settings. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try at lower resolutions, but it didn't fix the pattern problem. Thanks anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When we scanned older comics for a licensed comic book game, the dots in the printing would be obvious, and I used to clean them up with a very small Gaussian blur. It would create a continuous color fill instead of individual dots. You have to use a small blur or otherwise it will just come out, well, blurry.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth doing a test print as well. A few times I've been worried about the same thing but the final print looked ok anyway.

(also, descreen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That pattern is not from the linen finish. It's an artifact of the traditional printing process and appears on smooth cards, too. Descreen is the correct tool, as others have noted.

If you do not enlarge your images much, I would be surprised if you notice a big difference, as printers have much less effective resolution than their 1200dpi (or whatever) specs might lead one to believe.

I could go on if you like, but yeah, try the descreen. Try some smoothing. Try adding your changes. And then try printing to see how they come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the most effective way of getting rid of the visible printing pattern is just to scan at a ridiculously high resolution (e.g. the 1200dpi you already mention) and then bicubic resample the image down to a more sensible resolution (e.g. 300dpi).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do the same ^^

It works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried descreening versus scanning in at 1200 then downsizing to 300 using bicubic resampling in photoshop. Descreening resulted in a much better image. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pard wrote:
Use Descreen settings of scanner and scanning under some degree (15-45°).
[...]

Does that mean putting the card not flat but an angle of (15-45°)?

If yes, I'd be careful about that: One dimension will get blurred! (e.g. at 45° by around 30% (more exactly: 1-[(2^(1/2))/2)])
(It's of course less of an issue at 15° (around 3.4% blurr) (1-cos(15°))

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, just had to do the maths.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
irrational idesign
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I wondered what that meant. I just scanned the cards flat on the scanner bed and it worked great with descreening turned on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Welcome to the wonderful world of halftone screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.