Hide
12 Posts

Fabled Fruit» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Richest" - "poorest"?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Linn
msg tools
I have one problem when interpreting #10 and #15.

We are two players and we both have two cards in our hands.
I maintain that we are both "the richest" and "the poorest".
I am Swedish and my wife American so she argues that the "-est" means that there has to be one more person to COMPARE with.
So if we both have two cards nobody is "the richest" or "the poorest".

It says on the card "one of the poorest" and I say that I AM one of the poorest but she says there has to be one more person, with more cards, for anyone of us to be "the poorest".

If we skip the mathematical definition (I have been a math PH.D-student...long ago...), what does the creator of the game say?
If everybody has the same number of cards is there no richest or poorest then?! In my world there is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The glossary clarifies both of these. You just need to be one of the poorest/richest to qualify:

#10: ... If at least one other player has the most fruits like you, too, he must give you 2 fruits.

#15: If you are one of the players with the fewest fruits in their hands, draw 3 fruits from the stack.

Re: #15, if you describe someone as being "one of the people in the room with blue eyes", and they are the only person in the room with blue eyes, they still count as having blue eyes even though there aren't technically "people" with blue eyes in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
The glossary clarifies both of these. You just need to be one of the poorest/richest to qualify:

#10: ... If at least one other player has the most fruits like you, too, he must give you 2 fruits.

#15: If you are one of the players with the fewest fruits in their hands, draw 3 fruits from the stack.

Re: #15, if you describe someone as being "one of the people in the room with blue eyes", and they are the only person in the room with blue eyes, they still count as having blue eyes even though there aren't technically "people" with blue eyes in the room.
The problem is that those clarifications don't actually address the (I believe mistaken) impression under which Chris's wife finds herself: that if everyone is equal, that means that nobody has "the most fruits" or "the fewest fruits" because there is no basis for comparison.

(Side note to Chris: I am American and I do not agree with your wife, so her position is not based on her country of origin as you implied in your original post.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:

The problem is that those clarifications don't actually address the (I believe mistaken) impression under which Chris's wife finds herself: that if everyone is equal, that means that nobody has "the most fruits" or "the fewest fruits" because there is no basis for comparison.

(Side note to Chris: I am American and I do not agree with your wife, so her position is not based on her country of origin as you implied in your original post.)

Ahh, so this becomes more of an English debate, then. I don't think there's any definition of "most" and "fewest" that requires having anything else to compare to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linn
msg tools
Thank you guys for the feedback! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linn
msg tools
As expected my wife says you guys "don't know what you are talking about" and maintains her interpretation is correct. blush

I guess I have to wait for Friese or someone from Stronghold Games to state once and for all how to "interpret" the rules.
(I put quotation marks there because to me the answer is obvious and there isn't really anything to interpret...)

So I will let Fabled Fruit rest for a while and play more Mystic Vale in the meantime.
THAT is a fantastic game that I enjoy a LOT and really recommend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrislinn wrote:
I have one problem when interpreting #10 and #15.

We are two players and we both have two cards in our hands.
I maintain that we are both "the richest" and "the poorest".

At least for Fabled Fruit, this assumption is correct.

Best regards,

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
chrislinn wrote:
As expected my wife says you guys "don't know what you are talking about" and maintains her interpretation is correct. blush

Maybe explain it like this:

If you are "richest", then it means that no one is richer than you are.

If you are "poorest", then it means that no one is poorer than you are.

And thus if everyone has equal wealth, then they are all simultaneously richest and poorest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linn
msg tools
Thanks again everybody!
It can't get any better.
Good idea Russ and thx Henning for your "final words".
My wife just have to stop arguing now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrislinn wrote:
My wife just have to stop arguing now
Yuh-huh. Good luck with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically- (or grammatically-) speaking, the use of Richest and Poorest could be considered incorrect in a 2P game.

Comparatives are to be used for two, and superlatives reserved for when there are three or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
Technically- (or grammatically-) speaking, the use of Richest and Poorest could be considered incorrect in a 2P game.

Comparatives are to be used for two, and superlatives reserved for when there are three or more.

Superlatives are used for describing the member of a group who most meets the given property ("richest") or whatever. The size of the group is irrelevant.

If I ask you "Who is the richest person standing in that room?" and it turns out that Donald Trump is the only person in the room, it's perfectly correct to answer "Donald Trump", rather than "I cannot answer, because there are fewer than 3 people in the room".

E.g.
The superlative is used for comparing one person or thing with every other member of their group:

He was the tallest boy in the class.

This puzzle is the easiest in the whole book.

It’s the most interesting book I’ve ever read.

Those examples are perfectly valid even if the class has only 1 or 2 boys, and even if the book has only 1 or 2 puzzles, and even if I've read only 1 or 2 books.

Some sources more carelessly/sloppily say that the superlative is for 3 or more; I think that this is only because they are thinking of the "typical" situation with many people/objects in a group, not because they really think it's somehow incorrect to say "He was the tallest boy in the class" when the class has only 2 boys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.