Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Duplicitous - Component Ready

Designed for the The 2017 9-card Nanogame PnP Design Contest!.

Duplicitous (adj.)
The state of being deceitful; speaking or acting in two different ways.
Age 8+
2 Players
Game time: 5 mins

Description:
Duplicitous is a light, fun and rather silly, 2-player game of truth and deception that plays in 5 minutes and uses just 9-cards. The winner is the player with the most cards in front of them at the end of the round, and since the game only takes a few mins, you'll want to play multiple rounds.

Components:
9 x cards (numbered 1, 2, 3 and coloured red, blue and green) - colour-blind friendly.

Contest Categories:
Best Overall Game
Best 2-player Game
Best Written Rules
Best Card only game "no components"

Download links:
Rules v1.3 - 1 page single sided pdf A4
Cards v1.0 - 1 page single sided pdf A4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea came to me yesterday morning, while I was thinking about the types of games that could possibly work purely within the constraints of the contest.

It kinda went from ideas phase through to component's being produced in the space of a few hours. Rules took a few hours (although still tweaking). Artwork and stuff being improved incrementally.

I've been trying to work out a deduction game,but with so few components, too much or too little information is available, and ways to track or hide it have proven elusive.

Then I thought about a bluffing game where some information is know, but not all of it - just enough to make logical guesses, bordering on deductions.

Choosing numbers would work, but 9 is awkward, so ideally, the numbers need to be a multiple of 3 - 1,2,3. But that's not quite enough, what if I also used colours, red, green, blue or similar and created a cross section of colours and numbers - 1, 2, 3 in red, same in blue and green.

I then thought abut the deductive element - knowing all the cards means someone can deduce a given value, but taking a single card out, adds a small element of the unknown.

So on a turn, one player draws a card and looks at it - they then put the card on the table and state either the number or colour. They could tell the truth or they could lie about the card.

Duplicity was the first name, but it is already in the BGG database, so it became Duplicitous and since that is about lying - what better symbol than "liar, liar, pants of fire".

The opponent must determine if the player is truthful or lying. They announce their choice and the card is flipped. If they are right, they win the card - if they are wrong, the start player wins.

Add, rinse repeat. I whipped-up some cards and put them in sleeves and tried it with 2 work colleagues - they loved it as a light, silly opener.

Initially one player draws all cards - but later I decided to swap drawing based on the winner of the previous round - either way it doesn't seem to matter too much. It still works the same.

But I wanted a little more, so I thought about choosing a card sight-unseen - there should be an incentive or risk for doing so. An extra card won or lost and from there came a double-bluff where the opponent looks at the card... Still working on that.

Does the double-bluff incentivise the action enough?
Does it make it too appealing?
Is there a way to both encourage and stop to happening all the time?
Is it good or a bad feature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took the game along to my local gaming group and played a few games - they thought it was fun, but one of the players suggested I drop the Double-Bluff option because there just wasn't any real benefit.

We discussed the one player taking drawing the whole round versus turns swapping based on the winning player - the latter was decided to be a better option.

They also suggested that instead of discarding just one card at the start of the round, that one card should be dealt face-down to each player. This gives each player their own secret information about the distribution of colours and numbers, allowing them to better deduce the lie. And with just 7 cards now in a round, there can't be a tied score.

Changes all updated into version 1.2 of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Craig,

Just had a read of the rules and it all makes sense to me except the bit under "winning" that says to set one card aside after shuffling. Could that be a hangover from a previous version?

I love the logo! It reminds me of an unfortunate period in my country's agricultural history: see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_trousers

Will try this one out with my kids and report back soon.

Cheers, JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi JK,

Yes, that paragraph was a remnant from the previous rules. Fixed now and updated for version 1.3.

Yes, "liar, liar, pants on fire" was an instant thought for a bluffing game.

Thanks for the hilarious story about the flamin' farmers, and thanks too for trying the game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been throwing around a few more ideas to enhance game play and scoring. While the game works, there really isn't a lot to it.

These ideas are for a possible variant? The cards would all stay the same and I could use the backs of the cards as an aide memoir for scoring?

What if we went back to discarding one card face-down and each player was dealt a hand of 4 cards each.

Start player may declare one OR MORE cards, but the value they declare must always be the same, i.e. these 2 cards are all blue or all 3's.

The scoring could also be enhanced a bit - at the end of the round, players total their cards based on the colours in front of them.

- Each single colour counts for its face value.

- Each matching coloured pair adds together.

- Each triple of the same colour is worth zero.

This is potentially a way to add greater interest into the decisions - by allowing a player to play multiple cards - the risks are higher. But if one player wins the majority of hands - the negative scoring for triples can pull their score back down.

Again, the scoring would work across multiple rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig,

just read through the rules, because you happened to be no. 9 on my "interest list". The game looks like a fun game that takes 'nano' very literally (which is not a bad thing in my opinion).

- the rules layout is clear
- the rules are understandable in the first read
- the mechanic is simple

this seems engaging if you are looking for a mini-filler game. The only downside is that this could be played with cards from a standard poker deck and thus be looked down upon, because the PNP doesn't add much apart from the cool looking trousers.
However, this is pure personal taste and has nothing to do with the game or presentation you created.

Could become one of my go-to card games if somebody asked for something quick to play in a pub. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martjin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the game and provide such great feedback - I really appreciate it.

The game doesn't work quite as well with a standard poker deck, because you kinda need the double triangle of 3 colours and 3 numbers that provides just enough knowledge to make the bluff work.

Yes, the game is very, very simple - that was the intent. Few rules, small, silly, light, quick and a few laughs from the bluffing mechanism.

I have a copy on my desk and my work colleagues and I will often play 2-3 quick games during our morning coffee break - the real fun is trying to read your opponent.

Yes, it is definitely something you could easily whip out at the pub - it is just as much fun watching other people play. And since each game takes 2-3 mins, you can quickly swap around and nobody needs to be left out for long.

I've been meaning to update the rules with several variants, but work has been quite busy lately.

My favourite variant is where each player is dealt a card, face-down before the cards are placed in a shared draw pile.

Players secretly view the card, giving them more info about the distribution, which adds a little more tension into the bluffing, because you just don't know what card your opponent has. And with only 7 hands each, there's no chance of a tied game.

I'll try to get a revised set of rules posted this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Hi Martjin,
The game doesn't work quite as well with a standard poker deck, because you kinda need the double triangle of 3 colours and 3 numbers that provides just enough knowledge to make the bluff work.

I meant like three suits (hearts, diamonds, spades) and three numbers (ace, 2, 3) ... it's the same principle, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah - that works!

Too fixed in my thinking. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is super elegant, and easy to teach. I played it with my wife (It's her favorite of the contest games) and one of my students, and they both thoroughly enjoyed it. (As a sidenote, Both make a big deal about knowing all my tells, so it was interesting how evenly matched I was while playing this.)

It feels right at home between Cockroach Poker and Single Card Game as a very rules-light bluffing game. It's a little bit thinkier than either of those, which is nice.

I feel like it could expand to 16 or 25 cards post-contest, and keep the same feel with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robin,

Thanks so much for playing the game and providing such positive feedback. I am delighted your wife and students enjoyed it.

Yes, it probably would work with more cards and players. That is something I will definitely explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21188/liar.
Even same deck (3 colors * 3 shapes = 9 cards)
Also bluffing.
But different rules.
Two bluffing games in one deck.
I prefer the deck to liar!, because there are no digits, I do not like unnecessary digits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BogusKoszalka wrote:

I prefer the deck to liar!, because there are no digits, I do not like unnecessary digits.

Going to disagree here. You can parse a number significantly faster than pips.

I mean, I guess the answer is "both".

It would be neat to do a contest just for games made with this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogumił Koszałka
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starflier wrote:
It would be neat to do a contest just for games made with this deck.

ok
Lets' do it next.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28691194

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.