United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! Not sure how many are following us (difficult to tell these days), but the game is now finished and in the hands of the publisher. I'd like to post more, but I'm waiting for some official announcements.

I'm really happy with what we have. For all the games we've made, this is one that I just enjoy the play mechanic a lot. It still surprises me - there's quite a bit of subtle smart moves in this one. And for a co-op, it is really key for players to talk among themselves - a bit like a partner card game where you bid to signal what cards you have. There isn't any 'bidding' language here, but it has a similar feel somehow. You'll see (hopefully) when you give it a go! I think because of this, it's a very good co-op game. There should be moments of cheering when you get that perfect play - like in classic card games where your partner leads the absolute right card for you to take the trick. I really love those moments.

Another thing I wrote up today was a summary of how we got to this version of the game. I was stunned to learn we initially thought of this game in 2007! Even before we published Galactic Emperor. And right from the start, we knew we (1) wanted a mystery game with a story, not just deductive clues or puzzles and (2) we wanted it in 1930's New York City with a film noir feel. But wow - it took us 10 years (!) to finish that initial thought. It wasn't every day for 10 years - we did a few other games during that time and it didn't get the name Deadline until July 2013 - but still, a very long time in development. Along the way we set aside a few good version too - all to find this final version.

The card version that we now have didn't come easily. It was very hard fought. I always knew a simple game - an elegant game - was the very hardest to design. This game is our most elegant to date - very short rules set. Highly polished. I don't think that translates to everyone loving it at all (in fact I'm sure a few folks will not like this game - it is brutal at times) - but I am happy with how we trimmed everything down and polished the best that we could - better than we ever have. Good play is strongly rewarded. Figuring out good play is challenging.

The mysteries came through a very long process as well. I have listened to I don't know how many hours of old time radio shows - Mystery in the Air, Boston Blackie, Pat Novak for Hire, and many more. I personally own all of the Nero Wolfe books for example (have read those several times). If you know those sources, it'll give you a good idea of where we are and how we feel. We're a big fan of 'fair play' mysteries - so all of our mysteries *have* the solution in them - no cheats, no impossible leaps, no time-travel or identical twins (forbidden in fair play!). We've very carefully studied the sources, the language, the concepts - and yes, several of the tricks! Oh, those fun twists and turns! Many old radio shows would pause for a commercial before giving you the solution - and that's kinda how we work too. I'm hoping even if you gather up all the available clues, you'll be stumped on some of the cases - especially some of our hard cases which have several characters and misdirection (not everyone tells the truth!). But I really hope everyone after hearing the solution will say, "We should have known that!" That's the feeling we're chasing anyhow. I think it's very unique in this. I realize there's a few 'real' mystery games already (I've played I think all of them?), but I hope you'll see Deadline is quite different in play and feel. And the mysteries are quite different too - unlike anything I've seen in games so far - or really anywhere since the days of hard-boiled mystery theater.

Ok. Enough for now. I'm exhausted on this one - it has a ton of text! And we've reviewed countless times - hoping all is perfect! Very excited to get it into gamer's hands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good to hear that Deadline is nearing publication. ICv2 has "announced" that it will be published by WizKids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Adam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely still following this. Congratulations and I look forward to the game's release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Pivarcsi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I usually do not buy games that are not replayable, but I'll make an exception for this one. I'm crossing my fingers for a possible randomized deductive expansion in the future though. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the support! I'm quite excited (anxious really) about seeing this one in stores. Hopefully it'll be out by Origins - I think that's the plan now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Yup - still following it. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is... will it be at IndyCon? Congrats Adam! Looking forward to seeing the finished version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cribbs
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
You hooked me when you said you had read all the Nero Wolfe novels several times! I own them all and I, too, have read them each several times. They are, by far, my favorite series of books!

If your game, in any way, evokes the feel of playing out a Nero Wolfe novel, it will be one fantastic game!

Looking forward to it!

Jamey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Rex Stout! The newer novels by Robert Goldsborough - well, just haven't managed to capture the same feeling for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news about a preorder date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I don't have any news on that yet. It will be up to WizKids on how/when that happens.

If I hear, I'll certainly let folks know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:
Hmm. I don't have any news on that yet. It will be up to WizKids on how/when that happens.

If I hear, I'll certainly let folks know!

Awesome, thank you. I hope online purchase will be possible or that the game will be available in Canada in some ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Birdwise
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more news on Preorder or availability dates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is scheduled to be available at Origins - June 14 thru 18. I expect WizKids to make some type of pre-release announcement before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niek NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
adamw wrote:
I realize there's a few 'real' mystery games already (I've played I think all of them?), but I hope you'll see Deadline is quite different in play and feel.

Very interesting game, wishing you all the best of luck in the release of this game Adam!

Regarding the quotation above: which are the main 'real' mystery games you played? I'm very curious about this, and this genre in general. And which are your favourites? After your own game of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases (back in the 80's) and I believe most all of the expansions that were available at that time. I've played Gumshoe, Orient Express (several versions), 221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game (and some expansions). I guess after that it depends on definitions. I've played several 'deduction' games along the lines of Clue of course and a few hidden movement games - Letters from Whitechapel being the best of this genre to me, but I generally do not enjoy them. I've researched exhaustively many other puzzle/mystery games - including Watson & Holmes, the 'Exit' and 'Unlock' games, and Witness. I've played the main mission in T.I.M.E Stories.

As for favorites, I enjoy them for different reasons. Consulting Detective is the 'granddaddy' and I have fond memories. Gumshoe was very evocative and had some nifty extras like finger prints. But I think I enjoyed Orient Express the most. It had a roll-and-move simplicity, but I liked the deduction flavor better than standard Clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niek NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
adamw wrote:

As for favorites, I enjoy them for different reasons. Consulting Detective is the 'granddaddy' and I have fond memories. Gumshoe was very evocative and had some nifty extras like finger prints. But I think I enjoyed Orient Express the most. It had a roll-and-move simplicity, but I liked the deduction flavor better than standard Clue.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences and opinion, and giving an overview of the games. It is really appreciated.

Do you know about DEADCERT: London? Did you try this game? I just received it (I bought it used), I can't wait to try it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I hadn't heard of that! But it looks quite interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.