Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been reading the forums about this card for a bit this evening. It seems that everyone is in agreement that the only limit is how much you can pay. But does this mean that I can stack the effect?

I was on my first play through of the first scenario and

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I got to the fight with the Ghoul Priest. I had hyper-awareness on the table and needed to evade. I had 5 resources, so I pumped all 5 of them into hyper-awareness to boost my agility to 7 pretty much ensuring I would succeed barring a tentacle pull from the chaos bag.

This kinda felt like cheating, so I came here to see what others thought. It would seem the consensus is that this is ok. Am I reading that correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Berg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
slydog75 wrote:
This kinda felt like cheating, so I came here to see what others thought. It would seem the consensus is that this is ok. Am I reading that correctly?

Why do you feel it's cheating? I'm generally curious. Does it feel too overpowered?

Since resources is a limited supply and getting more wastes valuable time, I feel it's pretty balanced; after all, all you did was succeed on one single check. A check you probably could've done with a bit of luck without the resources too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not cheating and is not supposed to feel like it. This game borrows from Android Netrunner, so players of that will probably be familiar and comfortable as it is the same mechanic found on icebreaker programs where you pump the strength with resources.

So pump away and learn just how valuable those resources are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
If you would have drawn the tentacles, then it definitely would not have felt like cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
This game borrows from Android Netrunner, so players of that will probably be familiar and comfortable as it is the same mechanic found on icebreaker programs where you pump the strength with resources.

I'm pretty sure the game mechanic of spending resources to buff an ability predates Netrunner - let's not get too silly now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's completely legal. Also it's what makes those cards worth playing considering their setup cost.

This game is about resource management. You make skill checks constantly. You need to decide how much you pay to pass each check hoping you don't overextend yourself and leave your self open to disaster. This is where the real games lies underneath all the trappings.

Yes you can pay to completely make it all come down to the tentacle token. You can't do that all the time and even if you do that tentacle token still exists and can completely wipe out that investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidRock wrote:

Why do you feel it's cheating? I'm generally curious. Does it feel too overpowered?

Since resources is a limited supply and getting more wastes valuable time, I feel it's pretty balanced; after all, all you did was succeed on one single check. A check you probably could've done with a bit of luck without the resources too.

Yes, it felt over-powered. However, upon reflection I think I forgot to pay for asset cards a few times which would have left me with more resources than I should have had. Thanks for clearing this up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.