Dragon Dice» Forums » General

Subject: How many kickers to buy first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all, am thinking of trying this game out (hope to play at gencon 2017) and was thinking of buying a starter and some kickers for each of the two races. Would buying 5 for each race be sufficient in order to build armies and have enough flexibility to change it up or would I need more?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi jimithy!

I'm not certain what will be sold at Gencon, though I believe you can get a deal on packs as part of a buy in for a sealed tournament while you're there.

A starter set is effectively two kickers each for two different races, currently treefolk and firewalkers by default.

I think a total of 5 kickers each gives you some flexibility for creating different armies. A case of 12 kickers is custard enough for almost any army of that race you want to make (with obvious limitations on rare monsters), so 5 kickers should certainly give you guys variety.

And getting good variety for the second race definitely helps when you play with a friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
thanks travis! is there a source available that details the levels of rarity of monsters within each race (I understand they vary from 'rare' to 'ultra rare' or something like that)? Would be nice to know what to look out for, as is one of the most fun parts about opening packs in collectable games

Are kickers/singles normally sold at Gencon or would I have to sign up for competitive events? Not sure would be ready for an event like that aside from a noob teaching session.

edit: found rarities on the website here http://www.sfr-inc.com/aides_swag.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this is hard to link to because he uses frames and the website is old, but
http://www.chuckpint.com/frame.html
There's a dragon dice section, which has an FAQ, one of the questions is on rarities. For 6-sided dice, it's a flat rarity except for Scalder and Frostwing. Monsters vary by race.

Also on his site are point values that are relative value for each die which helps assist in trading.

And yes, they'll have individual packs for sale. But if they're holding a novice tournament with starter packs, I highly recommend it as those are geared towards new players. Definitely avoid any constructed tournaments until you're comfortable with the game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.