Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, I just received my copy today, and there's only one reason for this post... and that is to remark how beautiful this game is! The wooden components are top shelf! The perfect finish, the smooth contours, and the heft of the wooden terrain pieces and tokens is superb!

And there's actual hardware used for the control panels! I was blown away. We're not talking about plastic pieces for fastening the dials to the cardboard panels... we're talking about real metal hardware... nuts, bolts, and springs! And the dial pointers are hard plastic, as compared to cardboard which is typically used for such purposes.

And then the Control Panels come with wooden stands, which again are finished very nicely! The only thing that sort of detracts from the overall finish of the game is the stickers. But quite frankly, that's really nitpicking as I'm hard-pressed to think of an alternative solution that could've been employed instead. I would suggest though, that after applying the stickers to the tanks and shells, to spray them with a clear coat, to both protect the sticker and the tank's finish.

Anyway, I'd rank the quality of components for this game in the top five of all the 200+ games that I own. Superb job.

When I have a chance, I'll post some pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's staggering, isn't it?

I would have figured the price needed to be at least 60% higher for components like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to agree. The game is just fun to look at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Young
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well described Mr. Miller! Store owners prominently displaying this game can expect to attract customers and see the game fly of the shelf.

Mounting the stickers straight was tedious but not difficult, and thankfully only needed to be done once. The inclusion of a spare set of stickers was a nice touch to minimize the stress of screwing up. I’m satisfied with my placement, though a few in the earlier attempts are not as straight as I would have liked. Having this information painted on during manufacture instead would be ideal, but for what that would likely cost I think most players would prefer the savings of doing it themselves.

Control panel operation greatly exceeded my expectations! I feared it would be the weak link in the whole system but it may be its strongest, so the creators attention to detail on this is evident.

All remaining components feel quite durable, though it is probably advisable to handle full cotton bags gently to minimize opportunity to break the gun off of a turret. I put the cardboard pieces in a separate zip-lock plastic bag to avoid friction wear with the wood pieces. Such attention to long-term care is unnecessary for games that we stop playing before they wear significantly, but this is one that will be played for many years.

The control panels are not tall enough to serve as a view barrier during setup, but it will be easy enough to use another piece of cardboard. I also plan to explore the various setup options that I’ve posted here for variety. Elementos and wooden blocks from the game Jenga fit nicely on the board to explore additional imaginative scenarios, such as using Jenga blocks to create an urban combat scenario.

The shells are perfect; they really look and feel like something that could explode! I nearly flinched on dropping one while applying stickers. They look particularly menacing with the red stickers on black, for those that bought the extra sticker set.

The fire markers look realistic also, though on scoring a hit I find myself wishing that they were just a little thicker to fill the slot on the tank more completely.

The 10+ suggested age for the game is very conservative as my 8-year old grandson readily comprehends the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of those games that's needs to be set up in your FLGS.
People walking into the store would be leaving with a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.