Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine player game. I'm a Liberal. I was Hitler in the immediately previous game, so we had me as the first President. I select the player to my right as Chancellor. Voted in, not unanimously, but by enough of a margin that some Fascists had to have voted yes.

My draw is FLL. I pass a choice. And...the player on my right enacts Fascist and claims I gave him FF! Well, that's one Fascist found.

Since it's a nine player game, I get to investigate. I pick John, two downstream of me, since the Presidency is coming to him soon. He's...a Fascist! I'm a super Fascist finder: two on the very first turn.

So now the woman to my left is President. I vote her up, since I have no reason to suspect her. Another Fascist policy. She investigates me. And she proclaims me to be Fascist.

So now I know three of four Fascists, and it's only turn 2! Just one problem: from the point of view of all the other Liberals, it seems more likely that I'm one Fascist throwing shade on three Liberals than that I'm Liberal and have managed to out three Fascists in two turns. When the Presidency gets to John (the one I investigated), of course he enacts a Liberal policy, further confusing the issue.

Things go downhill from there: an FFF draw triggers the special election, and the Liberal President chooses the guy to my right. He gets in and...surprise surprise! another Fascist policy enacted, and a Liberal killed. The next person in line chooses John as his Chancellor, and despite all the yelling I can do he's voted in...and is Hitler.

Icing on the cake: the loyalty cards were done wrong. Instead of five Liberals, three Fascists, and Hitler, there were six Liberals and two regular Fascists. So the Liberals had a supermajority, and we knew all three Fascists from almost the start, and we still couldn't win. All I could do was scream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the harder I try and make my case when liberal the worse I do.

The fascists did a fantastic job of keeping you under the proverbial bus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Kosecki
Poland
Elbląg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
Icing on the cake: the loyalty cards were done wrong. Instead of five Liberals, three Fascists, and Hitler, there were six Liberals and two regular Fascists. So the Liberals had a supermajority, and we knew all three Fascists from almost the start, and we still couldn't win. All I could do was scream.
I'm wondering if that "supermajority" wasn't in favor of fascists in this case. Liberals didn't know there are 6 of them, so out of 6 players, you would always suspect at least one of them to be bad, which is wrong. Knowing the distribution of the roles and policies is the only "fact" liberals have to base their opinions on. Why didn't fascists stop the game when noticing the distribution is incorrect? Or maybe they weren't aware of what should be the correct numbers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
This points to a core issue of playing well as the innocents (Liberals, Loyal Servants, etc) team. It's one thing knowing who's who yourself; but the important thing, is team coherence - not just you being in the know, but the majority of the innocents team being in the know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dannte wrote:
Why didn't fascists stop the game when noticing the distribution is incorrect? Or maybe they weren't aware of what should be the correct numbers?

I had a 9 player game recently where one non-Hitler Fascist thought he was Hitler and so both Hitlers raised their thumbs in the hidden information phase. Despite this obvious error and me saying that the non-Hitler Fascists should see two other people looking at them, no-one said a thing when I asked if there were any problems in that phase and we began the game with 'two' Hitlers. It all ended in inevitable chaos when the non-Hitler Hitler was elected as Chancellor after the third Fascist policy and claimed the win: we called it with the extra information. At least it everyone saw the funny side

Unfortunately, it does prove that however clear you make the instructions, people can still get it very, very wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a game which included "gamers" and "non-gamers". After explaining how "lying is encouraged and necessary," one of the non-gamers mistook "lying" for "cheating."

Its ironic to call "cheating" an "honest mistake," but it was.

So, this person was a liberal, but opened her eyes during the fascist parts. She thought she was "lying" by pretending to be fascist.

Chaos ensued because we kept thinking we'd won, but she'd fail to do the fascist game winning moves.

We ended up winning anyway. She was embarrassed when it all got sorted out. Like I said, "honest" cheating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.