Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Help with Lieutenant pack choices. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Beck
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Hello there. I was debating on which Lieutenant pack to choose. I don't know how good any of the plot decks are. But I did make up my mind that I want to get one that I can use him/her model in my collection without using the plot deck. What will be the best choice?

I have the base game, the chains that rusts, and the conversion kit, (Only base 1st edition though.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Avatar
What plot deck to buy really depends on your play style as Overlord. Baron Zachareth's deck is excellent if you like to meddle and interfere with how the heroes play. Ardus Ix'Erebus's plot deck turns your armies into a more effective fighting force.

My understanding, given the nine lieutenants you are able to use:

Baron Zachareth: Incredibly strong plot deck. Only use this if you are sure you want the hero players to hate you.

Belthir: Good interaction with the Basic overlord deck.

Lady Eliza Farrow: I haven't seen this deck's strengths yet, but she features pretty heavily in Heirs of Blood.

Lord Merick Farrow: Has good potential, and Merick appears in several campaigns, including the App's freebie Kindred Fire.

Sir Alric Farrow: Generally not as strong as other plot decks, but nothing jumped out at me as "this cannot work"

Splig: Splig appears in many campaigns and several Rumors. He's a designers' darling. I can't really tell you much about his plot deck.

---------------

Ardus Ix'Erebus: As plot decks go, his can be used with good effect in every campaign, and your 1st Edition 1-space monsters will all benefit from it.

Kyndrithul: I am told this is on par with Baron Zachareth's deck in terms of how much the heroes will hate you. It operates on locking down their skills.

Zarihell: Of the three from Chains that Rust I have the most experience with this deck. Half the cards seem worthless while several are severly ramped up in power by comparison.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
foxreinard wrote:
[..]
My understanding, given the nine lieutenants you are able to use[..]


You aren't tied to the expansion you own to choose lieutenant packs. In fact, you can't summon the lieutenant the scenario they are featured in.

Regarding to OP, You may find this geeklist helpful.
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/205588/guide-descent-2ed-...

If you are planning to pick up one only, go with Baron Zachareth.

Also personal preference here, I would encourage you to purchase Belthir and use his plot deck. He feels like the "good rival" trope to show up randomly and challenge the heros
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Avatar
Altasia wrote:
You aren't tied to the expansion you own to choose lieutenant packs. In fact, you can't summon the lieutenant the scenario they are featured in.


True. However, I was making that statement based on this:

Ryan Beck wrote:
But I did make up my mind that I want to get one that I can use him/her model in my collection without using the plot deck.


I'm already quite aware and familiar with the rules sheet concerning Lieutenant Packs, but thank you for the vigilance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
xsilver7 wrote:
Hello there. I was debating on which Lieutenant pack to choose.

I'd actually suggest not getting one. It looks like you're just getting started in 2ed, the lieutenant packs are price-wise the least bang for your buck. They're more for people who buy everything. You may just want to use proxy mini's and save your money for box sets that have campaigns you can play.


xsilver7 wrote:

I don't know how good any of the plot decks are. But I did make up my mind that I want to get one that I can use him/her model in my collection without using the plot deck. What will be the best choice?

I found the geeklist Allan posted to be solid gold for making plot deck choices. Definitely read that to learn about plot decks.

xsilver7 wrote:

I have the base game, the chains that rusts, and the conversion kit, (Only base 1st edition though.)

If you have a lieutenant pack that's not in the campaign you are playing you can swap it in for an open group as an "agent". So even though it looks like you can only play chains that rust as 2ed you could get any of the packs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.