Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew mccollin
United Kingdom
sheffield
south yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

I have been a member of BGG for some time now but never really used it until about 5/6 months ago. Even now I'm not sure I am using this site to its full potential. Nevertheless I do enjoy my browsing through while at work trying to keep myself amused doing a job I really can't stand doing anymore.

I was recently gifted 35GG by a user to buy myself an avatar and I have acquired another 3.something from somewhere else (not really sure where or why) but I have 8+GG spare with no apparent use for and would very much like to 'spread the wealth' with all of you lovely lot.

Now here is the selfish part, I want stuff to read that will make me smile/laugh/recoil in horror etc. I have read various threads about bad/funny experiences at game stores or while gaming in general and I just want more! I am hooked on tales of the kind. Please regail me with your stories and help a fellow geek get through the working day.

For each story posted on here I will tip some GG until I run out and If people keep posting good stories after I have run out I will get more from an auction (I believe that is a thing) and continue tipping.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

Have 30 bag more to carry on the tipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
United Kingdom
sheffield
south yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

Have 30 bag more to carry on the tipping.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!

This thread is indebted to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Every master was once a beginner
badge
Every master was once a beginner
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a story from my last game night.

My group was playing Dead Last. For those who may not be familiar with this game, everyone is assigned a color and then everyone chooses a color that they want to eliminate by placing a card face down. The color with the most votes is eliminated. There are other parts of the game but that is the nuts and bolts of it. Anyway, my friend brought his girlfriend over for the first time and she was a bit nervous being the new person. We began choosing who to eliminate when my friend received call and decided he had to answer it. The rest of us quickly worked together and decided to vote for him while he was distracted. We even got his girlfriend in on the trick. When he got off the phone we all revealed our cards and it was unanimously his color. He was completely blindsided, even more so because his girlfriend was in on it. We all had a good laugh about it and she warmed up to us quickly after that. My friend did apologize for being on the phone and it actually was an important call. It ended up being a very good night for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My story isn't funny. You can find it on the last page. Read the whole thing, though. It won't get much better.
One of the greatest geeklists ever

For your convenience I'll include some stuff I keep coming back to. BGG has a lot of great writers:

Soren learns a game
Chris loses a game
David goes to hell
Jason improves games
Londoners make fun of games

Edit: funny typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I attended a "meet-up" eurogaming group at a local coffee cafe' and on the meet-up page the host said she was sick and could not attend. I had heard the group was very friendly and welcoming to all new attendees. Well, that's most likely true when the host is present because I was encountered 12 stoic individuals who pretty much made me feel invisible. When a new game was started after a while (I was sitting at the next table watching the previous game) I was not asked to play and I didn't think it was my place to assert myself because I am new, oh, they saw me, anyone would've seen I was obviously interested in gaming (my bag of games were next to me).

After about 2 hours of sitting there and drinking coffee I left. To be fair, I was new and didn't know anyone, the host was not there and I looked about 20 years older than the oldest person there. In my review I said I think I needed to give the group another chance and will attend when I know the host will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Last night I attended a "meet-up" eurogaming group at a local coffee cafe' and on the meet-up page the host said she was sick and could not attend. I had heard the group was very friendly and welcoming to all new attendees. Well, that's most likely true when the host is present because I was encountered 12 stoic individuals who pretty much made me feel invisible. When a new game was started after a while (I was sitting at the next table watching the previous game) I was not asked to play and I didn't think it was my place to assert myself because I am new, oh, they saw me, anyone would've seen I was obviously interested in gaming (my bag of games were next to me).

After about 2 hours of sitting there and drinking coffee I left. To be fair, I was new and didn't know anyone, the host was not there and I looked about 20 years older than the oldest person there. In my review I said I think I needed to give the group another chance and will attend when I know the host will be there.

I felt the same going to a group for the first time. Luckily for me the host was there and friendly, but the other folks sure made me feel uncomfortable. I don't understand how you can be part of a social hobby, and be so frigid at the same time.

I didn't give them a second chance though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There once was a little sausage called Baldric, he lived happily ever after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a university English professor and a published writer. She has published 8 books and countless critical papers analyzing many things literary. She has won awards for her books, papers, and presentations. She is known internationally in her circles and has been invited to present all over the US, and also in England, Italy, Thailand, and Taiwan. She has held every office, including president, of the international organization that represents her specialty. She just finished her term as head of her department. She uses words for a living and she's quite good at it, and well respected for it.

I am a Computer Science and Engineering professor. I teach. I'm quite good at what I do, but I do not do research and I have published only one scientific paper, back in 1999. I have never been good at writing.

This background is important because my wife's favorite game is Scrabble. If you don't already pity me, go back and re-read the first paragraph. Me competing against her in Scrabble is like her competing against me in program writing.

For years we played Scrabble. Night after night. Game after game. Always I lost. There were many games where she even doubled my score.

One rainy summer night 5 or 6 years ago we sat down to play Scrabble. I drew my initial hand of tiles. After a bit of fiddling around I discovered, to my great surprise and glee, that I could use all my tiles on the opening word! This gave me a huge bonus right from the start. My wife, always one to enjoy a literary challenge, spent the rest of that game closing that gap as best she could. We ended the game with me still ahead of her, but just by a couple points. One more turn and she would have had me for sure.

That was the only time I beat her at Scrabble.

My poor showing at virtually every game of Scrabble I played against her was my motivation for researching other games. In the summer of 2012 I thought back to a time we played Catan with friends of ours and I wondered if it might be a good game to try next. But I discovered that it's not a game made for 2 players. I continued researching and discovered that, oh my goodness, there were SO MANY GAMES! I quickly settled on Agricola and placed my order. I couldn't wait for it to arrive.

It arrived one afternoon almost two weeks later. I unboxed it and punched out all the components. My wife and I planned on having happy hour and then dinner, then later that evening sitting down with a few more drinks and learning the game. How hard could it be to learn, after all? It's just a game. I never had trouble learning Monopoly, Risk, Careers, and the countless other games I played with my brother when I was a kid. Surely we'd be growing crops in no time!

Boy, was I wrong. After about an hour of struggling through the long and dense rule book with the game spread out in front of us, we gave up in disgust.

The following day, choosing to be undaunted, I went back to the game and tried learning it by myself. Things made sense this time. It looked like it could be a really interesting game.

That afternoon my wife and I sat down and played our first game of Agricola. We were both astonished at its depth and intricacy. We both loved it. This was my first high from my first hit.

After the game we understood our mistake from the previous day and subsequently established:

House Rule Number 1: No Learning a New Game If Drinks Have Been Poured.

But I just had to try some of the other games that I saw while I was doing research! I ordered Stone Age and Dominion. After playing those I wanted even more. I located a FLGS (we were summering in mid-Maine, so an hour away was sufficiently local) and after browsing their well-stocked shelves I brought home Arkham Horror and Pandemic. And after even more research I felt that Mage Knight would absolutely need to be the next game.

We were both completely taken by this new hobby. Every evening my wife still wants to play a game, and our collection has since grown significantly. In December of 2016 I bought my 140th game, Heroes of Normandie.

_________

This story is gratis. I do not want a tip. I wouldn't mind a thumb, though. And I look forward to reading all the other stories here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like deck-builders, and my wife and I are also huge fans of Firefly. So last summer I of course waited in line at GenCon to buy a copy of Legendary Encounters: Firefly. Days passed, and I was eventually able to get a couple friends over to play. My wife made lasagna, we enjoyed the game, and ultimately lost (what fun is a co-op game that you win the first time, anyway??).

Well, that night, I got sick. Really sick. Was up most of the night vomiting until there was nothing left. I'm sure we've all experienced that at least once in our lives, if not more. Once when I was younger, it happened to me after my mother cooked my favorite meal, and I haven't been able to eat that meal since then. So I was expecting to be at least a bit put off by the leftover lasagna (I was the only one sick, so not food poisoning) once I was feeling better. Nope! No problem. Phew.

Fast forward to another game get-together, and we decide to break out Legendary Firefly again. We start talking about playing it. I start to get queasy. We open the box and I smell its unique combination of thin Upper Deck cardboard and neoprene. I get more nauseated. Thankfully, I was able to keep it to queasy and nauseated, and not actually lose it, and we made it through the game.

Since then, every time I think about that game, I get queasy. It's lessened over time and more plays, but even as I write this, my stomach is a touch unhappy with me. I think I'll eventually completely get over it, but maybe not. In the meantime, I may be the only person who's taken being sick of a game quite so literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
I really like deck-builders, and my wife and I are also huge fans of Firefly. So last summer I of course waited in line at GenCon to buy a copy of Legendary Encounters: Firefly. Days passed, and I was eventually able to get a couple friends over to play. My wife made lasagna, we enjoyed the game, and ultimately lost (what fun is a co-op game that you win the first time, anyway??).

Well, that night, I got sick. Really sick. Was up most of the night vomiting until there was nothing left. I'm sure we've all experienced that at least once in our lives, if not more. Once when I was younger, it happened to me after my mother cooked my favorite meal, and I haven't been able to eat that meal since then. So I was expecting to be at least a bit put off by the leftover lasagna (I was the only one sick, so not food poisoning) once I was feeling better. Nope! No problem. Phew.

Fast forward to another game get-together, and we decide to break out Legendary Firefly again. We start talking about playing it. I start to get queasy. We open the box and I smell its unique combination of thin Upper Deck cardboard and neoprene. I get more nauseated. Thankfully, I was able to keep it to queasy and nauseated, and not actually lose it, and we made it through the game.

Since then, every time I think about that game, I get queasy. It's lessened over time and more plays, but even as I write this, my stomach is a touch unhappy with me. I think I'll eventually completely get over it, but maybe not. In the meantime, I may be the only person who's taken being sick of a game quite so literally.

For some reason my Nations: The Dice Game smelled awful and I didn't know what it was so I sprayed the inside of the box lid with cologne (Curve for Men) and the smell went away but now I think of the game when I put that cologne on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not write this but, if you have not read this in BGG, you should read it. If you are not familiar with Lost Cities, you should check it out.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/287808
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Real story (RSP worthy so hidden to protect the innocent).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We were playing a WW1 air combat miniatures game (not WOW) and a female member of the group was told she could move 6 inches. She then asked "what is 6 inches", Someone said "about average" and the rest is best left to your imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:

I felt the same going to a group for the first time. Luckily for me the host was there and friendly, but the other folks sure made me feel uncomfortable. I don't understand how you can be part of a social hobby, and be so frigid at the same time.

I didn't give them a second chance though

I have thankfully never experienced this but it is a helpful thing to keep in mind as I am lucky enough to host my own, opening my home and collection to any of my friends as well as friends of friends (fortunate enough also that no one seems to mind the drive and we always have a good turn out). I tend to think I am a good host, providing a meal, drinks, and snacks for the night after asking what the majority feels hungry for, making sure games that want to be played get played with no hesitation, even setting up 2 tables sometimes and running two games simultaneously or tournaments. In the referenced cases however, I will try and keep in mind as a host to not get fully engrossed in a game I am playing (which can be hard for a gamer) or when teaching a new game as new comers could mistake this for disapproval and/or dislike for them. So thank you for sharing your stories and know that your bad experiences may have improved someone else's

Also to the Original Poster you should always check out Games 4 Geek Gold (G4GG) if you have extra geek gold just laying around, its kind of BGG's gaming lottery and it is something I check (and spend geek gold at) almost daily. Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll offer 10GG for a couple of good stories.

P.S., not game related: Read Daniel Pink's book DRiVE: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us (NY: Riverhead, 2009); Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Surprising-Truth-About-Motivate....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am not looking for a tip, but wanted to show off on behalf of my better half:

I took Cosmic Encounter to a my regular monthly group, for the first time. So far I was only player to have played it before.

We played a game, them all learning the ropes. Then we decided to play a second time, now they had the basics of the game down.

4 of the 5 players quickly got a couple colonies down, my wife got left behind. She fought back and we got to the situation of my wife on 3, the rest of us on 4. It was my wife's turn.

She set up her attack, didn't invite helpers. The defending player opened up the table and most of us joined in. While I wanted my wife to do well, I didn't want to make it easy!

She won and we were all on 4.

She drew another colour and prepared her attack, again no invites. She didn't want to share any victory.

The defending player, confident in his options, didn't invite assistance either and the battle commenced. The defender pulled a number of tricks out of the bag, between his race and cards. But my wife countered or was able to ignore them and went on to win a resounding victory with 5 to the rest of us on 4!

Everybody was impressed and I think Cosmic Encounter is now a game my wife will be happy to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
United Kingdom
sheffield
south yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dejunking wrote:

Also to the Original Poster you should always check out Games 4 Geek Gold (G4GG) if you have extra geek gold just laying around, its kind of BGG's gaming lottery and it is something I check (and spend geek gold at) almost daily. Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice but I much prefer to share what little I did have to others for sharing their experiences etc. There has also been some extremely generous folks who have donated GG to this post so it may continue and would never dream of using said GG for anything other than this

A massive thank you to everyone contributing, it has made my time at work fly by and I'm hopeful others also benefit from this thread as much as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andymac182 wrote:
I was recently gifted 35GG by a user to buy myself an avatar

I wish someone would do that for me soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffrey_a_meunier wrote:
Me competing against her in Scrabble is like her competing against me in program writing.

You should get her to play Roborally or Ricochet Robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMunky wrote:
andymac182 wrote:
I was recently gifted 35GG by a user to buy myself an avatar

I wish someone would do that for me soblue

It worked... i would like to thank everyone who made this possible. My parents, the lord and most of all the person who gave me the gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
During a game of Axis & Allies I sent 55 submarines against Japan and sunk their whole navy. I was the US. Then the UK player who had been bombed to only having the British home territory started to get happy. The Japanese player then responded by saying, "Don't get a hard on for something you didn't do!" The rest of laughed because the guy who was the UK didn't put up a fight. I thought that was the best quote that I have heard in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Added some geek gold myself. Enjoy and welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
msg tools
mb
I was introducing The Resistance: Avalon to my friends that don't typically play board games. In a group of six, the one who would relish being evil and I were the assassins and my wife had us both dead to rights. She had to make the team for the last round. I agreed with her that my friend looked shifty but beyond anything else she needed to trust me, her husband, that I was absolutely good and she needed to choose me. She peered into my soul and saw my lies. She wisely chose everyone but myself and the other assassin. So I played up how she was making a big mistake and she was handing the game to the bad guys.

She flipped the first card: Pass
Second card: Pass
Third card: Pass

At this point she looks at me, and I'm living the gimmick telling her that next one is going to be fail.

Fourth card: Fail. Evil wins.

She looks at me and I give her "the look", the look that can only be found in a marriage when one decisively wins an argument. She apologized for not listening to me. Then we revealed ourselves. Turns out the fail card was thrown out by a good character "just to see what would happen". I will never forget the look on her face as she repeatedly hit my arm.

So did my friend play the game wrong? Yes.

Should I have lost? Absolutely.

Still makes for a great story though.

Epilogue: Now when we play, she makes it very clear to new players that if they are good, they can only throw out pass cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in uni, my gf's family would only play Monopoly. We all know how boring this game can be. The odd victory was never enough to compensate.

Out of despair I asked for the permission to use one of my gaming minis, just for fun. It was a dragon-tiger.

The next six games, I won as my monster kept swallowing up buildings, cars, shoes and doggies alike. Strangely, the family stopped playing Monopoly for some time after this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Karkared wrote:
dragon-tiger.
Driger? Tigon? Was it bred for its skills in magic?

Edit (I should probably contribute):

Here's a story I've told here before many times but since you're new here:

When we were kids, my brother (one year younger than me) and I were "competitive" with one another.

While playing The Game of Life, I must have whined about something and my brother called me a "baby".

I then called my brother an "embryo".

There was a nearby hammer and my brother threw it at me.

I ducked and it hit my brother's best friend in the head. Somehow, no permanent damage.

The End
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.