22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 - 3 Player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krazy Leggs
msg tools
Hey guys.

New to board games here and wanted to tap into this amazing community for some ideas for a new 2-3 player game. Would love something that is either reasonably strategic or even tactical with some theme and player interaction. I'm thinking a Euro (dont mind Ameritrash or hybrids) as my collection doesn't(?) have any. The following list of parameters sums it up quite well:

Competitive Euro or hybrid
Players: 2 - 3 (can be more but has to accommodate for 2 - 3)
Playtime: 0.5 - 3 hours
Theme (has to have one): Anything but railways / WW2
Presentation: Good looking
Player Interaction: Some would be nice
Additional: No pure card games

Loved the Rahdo's playthroughs of CO2 and Terraforming mars (waiting on reprints / new edition releases) but gotta wait to get them. City of Spies, Tigris and Euphrates, & Anachrony have all intrigued me.

Current Collection:
Pandemic Legacy Season 1
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game
Android Netrunner
Dead of Winter
New Angeles
Chaos in the Old World
Ghost Stories
Captain Sonar
Fury of Dracula

Pardon the huge post but hopefully that should give you an idea of what my group enjoys. I look forward to your suggestions!

Cheers all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I suggest Power Grid Deluxe: Europe/North America.

Classic game, economic, strategic... euro. Looks great and the bits are nice. I suggested the delux because it has a great 2-player variant. It also plays up to 6, but I don't recommend it. 2-4 probably.

I'm also a fan of Viticulture Essential Edition. My wife and I play it 2-player also and works very well up to 4. Worker placement euro game with theme nicely woven into it.

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I've played Concordia only 2- and 3-player and it is great. (It can handle more players and I'm curious to try.) I recommend it; interesting strategic gameplay; good clear simple quick-to-learn rules; attractive art and components; some expansions if you're into expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 VEE Also Tuscany Essential Edition Or the originals if that is what you can get.

Scythe

They all work well at 2p and can cater for more.
Scythe is probably close to your upper time limit. The first few games anyway. they also work well solo as well which is a bonus.

Patchwork Strictly 2p but otherwise fits. And is a great game.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is brilliant. Bags of theme and not a card in sight. There are still copes of the old edition around (My FLGS has some) but I would be inclined to wait for the new edition. Next month for the Jack the Ripper edition. Later in the year for the errata'd original. While it is not strictly a legacy game, it is limited to 10 plays per box as the cases are not repeatable.

Hive is another brilliant 2p only game. But the theme is barely pasted on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More love here for Viticulture Essential Edition. Then when you'll have played it a bunch, add Tuscany Essential Edition.

Other suggestions:
Glen More
Troyes (Reprint should be in soon)
The Palaces of Carrara (OOP in English though)

Or the new hot games from the end of 2016 that received high praises, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo is very thematic and has interaction.

Yunnan is very interactive but only okay for 3+

At the Gates of Loyang has a tiny bit of direct conflict and a little interaction but wouldn't recommend for more than two players

Maybe Eclipse or maybe The Manhattan Project - not entirely sure how interactive as not played this one.

Others I've found that have a little more interaction or a little more directly competitive (or more thematic) are Scoville, Dungeon Petz or Kanban: Driver's Edition,

For simpler ones, we really like Seeland as more interactive than most and can be quite mean - Glen More feels similar to this and is a little less simple but less interactive. Also Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) is very interactive but not normally recommended for 2 although we like it enough with two players. Samurai for a quick simple one.

And there's always The Battle at Kemble's Cascade but you'll either love or hate this one I think??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casira
msg tools
+1 Viticulture (Especially with extended board from Tuscany)

I didn't like Concordia at 2-3, the base maps leave for a very open game - people building off in directions and producing their own things - more solitare. There are smaller map expansions that would change this. I'm waiting on Corsica/Gallia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ruby
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet but another shout out for Viticulture.

I also just got Lewis & Clark and I really love the theme, artwork, worker placement twist, and race dynamics. My wife and I have played it about 4 times as 2 player, and really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the mention of Anachrony, have you looked at Trickerion? It will be closer to 3 hours than to 0.5, but it plays well with 2 and 3 players. For 2 players, you'll definitely want the expansion Dahlgaard's Gifts as well.

Otherwise, I'd recommend some of the smaller 2-player only games, like:

Targi - Good amount of player interaction for a worker placement game. Cards, but not a "card game". The cards just make up the playing board.
7 Wonders Duel - Well, it's (almost) only cards, but it's not really what I'd think of when someone says "card game".
Patchwork - Great game with very different theme. Hard to say whether you'll like it, but if you haven't already, at least check it out

For lots and lots of theme, check out Dungeon Petz. Not only does every single rule feel thematic, the thematic explanation is right there in the rulebook, for every rule!

EDIT: And for three players: Between Two Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Solberg
Norway
Horten
Vestfold
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend looking into The King Is Dead. Its very good with 2 players, and amazing with 3 players. Playtime is fairly short, but it's tactical, thinky and everything you do affects the opponent(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gatewood
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Targi, and +1 for At the Gates of Loyang. I would also look at Akrotiri... It's OOP, but I believe they're reprinting it this year, but I could be mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so much love for VEE!

+1 VEE from me too!

I plan to get Lewis & Clark soon. Looks great and dripping in theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is fantastic at 2 or 3 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I think you would enjoy Puerto Rico its a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can handle Chaos in the Olde World level of complexity and sport exactly 3 players I would suggest checking out Three Kingdoms Redux. Really fantastic representation of the classic SNES series of games Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Plays exactly 3 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Bolt
United States
Bar Harbor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I've played Concordia only 2- and 3-player and it is great. (It can handle more players and I'm curious to try.) I recommend it; interesting strategic gameplay; good clear simple quick-to-learn rules; attractive art and components; some expansions if you're into expansions.

My wife and I played Concordia at a con with 4 and liked it, we were wondering how it plays with just two. May be on my to buy list.

Edit: The Castles of Burgundy plays extremely well at 2 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProudGeekDad wrote:
russ wrote:

My wife and I played Concordia at a con with 4 and liked it, we were wondering how it plays with just two. May be on my to buy list.

Edit: The Castles of Burgundy plays extremely well at 2 and 3.

I've played Concordia with two and it's fine - though there isn't a lot of joint building in cities. The new Corsica board expansion will force more interaction, as there are fewer cities and that will make it more expensive (so harder) to build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krazy Leggs
msg tools
Thanks so much for the replies. Taking a look at all your suggestions. Seems to be a lot of love for viticulture. Three kingdoms redux looks like it will be difficult to source here in Australia. Gonna read through and check out run-through a for most of what was suggested. What do you guys think of tzolkin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krazyleggs wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies. Taking a look at all your suggestions. Seems to be a lot of love for viticulture. Three kingdoms redux looks like it will be difficult to source here in Australia. Gonna read through and check out run-through a for most of what was suggested. What do you guys think of tzolkin?

I've never played Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar but it is rated well so it must be liked! It just was never on my list of games I've wanted to play. Hmmm. Good luck.

-m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krazyleggs wrote:
What do you guys think of tzolkin?

I haven't played it yet but I have watched it played. It looks interesting.

Have you thought about going to game days? I know my FLGS in Katoomba runs them every Sunday. And I know they have Tzolkin in their playing library. For that matter, they also have Viticulture. It is an easy and cheap way to try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krazyleggs wrote:

Tzolk'in is on my Want to Play list so I think that might be a good option. But also, I would check out The Voyages of Marco Polo. It is by the same designer as Tzolk'in and is a great dice worker placement game. It is the most I've played of any heavier game (~15 times) and I still want to keep playing it. The variable player powers really adds so much to an already great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Five Tribes - interaction is in the form of bidding for turn order and your actions leave options for the next player/s.
Beautiful components with variable set up each game.

Add Five Tribes: The Thieves of Naqala for more interaction (more 'take that' if your group is ok with it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.