Hide
6 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Circumvallation Event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dirk Dahmann
msg tools
In our game the Roman played the Circumvalation event, moved some guys from Provincia into Gergovia and immobilized 6 Averni warbands there.
So far so good. After the Averni reaction (just move enough guys in yourself to smash the Reds), the romans first "Built" a Fort there and then "Marched" everything else out.
Question: Are the six original warbands still immobilized? The card text clearly does say so. ("remove marker if Romans are attacked in battle..."). Now this clearly feels quite weird, having the original Gergovia battle in mind. Why would a single Roman fort sustain the siege of Gergovia? Yes, of course the Roman DOES already have Ballistae, complicating the situation even more for the Green.

Did I say, that I positively HATE Roman Forts (being an Hercule Poirot in that game)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubilderborst wrote:
In our game the Roman played the Circumvalation event, moved some guys from Provincia into Gergovia and immobilized 6 Averni warbands there.
So far so good. After the Averni reaction (just move enough guys in yourself to smash the Reds), the romans first "Built" a Fort there and then "Marched" everything else out.
Question: Are the six original warbands still immobilized? The card text clearly does say so. ("remove marker if Romans are attacked in battle..."). Now this clearly feels quite weird, having the original Gergovia battle in mind. Why would a single Roman fort sustain the siege of Gergovia? Yes, of course the Roman DOES already have Ballistae, complicating the situation even more for the Green.

Did I say, that I positively HATE Roman Forts (being an Hercule Poirot in that game)?
How about just ambushing the fort? It means you have to select battle/ambush, but even the 6 trapped pieces alone will take out the fort.

EDIT: Or just attack, the fort will probably still be there but at least the Circumvallation marker will be removed and the fort won't inflict losses.

EDIT2: I'm still not quite sure what exactly you are asking to be honest.
The rules are indeed quite clear (as you acknowledge in your post) and the reasoning seems pretty straightforward too: The Romans have build the donut fort but left only a tiny garrison. As soon as your units attack the fort (with or without reinforcements from outside the encirclement) they will break through and the garrison is too small to inflict losses, though they may be able to keep parts of the fort intact for future use. However, your units still need to attack to break the siege even though breaking the siege without losses is guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Dahmann
msg tools
Yep, right and no problem and accepted.

Except, that with only six warbands there is a very distinct chance that the Fort will NOT fall.
I do remember attacking a Roman Fort in Belgica with 5 warbands AND Ambiorix when I attacked two times failing to get a 1 or 2 (remember the ballistae) through a total of 6 dierolls. After that the Roman removed the Fort by himself to pester some fellow Gaul somewhere else.
Did I mention that I positively hate Forts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tubilderborst wrote:
Yep, right and no problem and accepted.

Except, that with only six warbands there is a very distinct chance that the Fort will NOT fall.

And?

The Event says that the Circumvallation marker is removed if the marked group attacks Romans in Battle. It does not say that they need to win the Battle in order to remove the marker.

Regqrds,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubilderborst wrote:

What do you mean "being a Hercule Poirot in that game"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Dahmann
msg tools
Well, Hercule was always "accused" to be French by ignorant Brits etc.
Of course he was Belgian, and always very proud to be!

I took the liberty to line him up as a descendant of Ambiorix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.