11 Posts

War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: What's the deal with the minis in this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I thought the base game miniatures were poor, but I put that down to having a 1st edition from 2004 and standards were not so high back then. But looking at the miniatures in this expansion, I am astonished at how amateurish and low quality they are. Seriously, the horses are atrocious, all the poses are flat and awkward, and the moulding quality is rubbery and lacking in detail. Galadriel is apparently wearing mittens, Aragorn has had his head squashed, and the Mouth is looking so camp I'm assuming he's got heels and a skirt on underneath that robe. It's the least threatening Balrog ever depicted - is it a baby Balrog perhaps? - and the Ringwraith is apparently melting.

This is a flagship product for the publisher and as far as I can tell they didn't even hire a professional miniature sculptor. Given that all there is in this box is the minis, some dice and a small handful of cards and tokens, this might all be acceptable if sold for under a tenner. But they are asking 28 quid for it RRP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
Wow, I thought the base game miniatures were poor, but I put that down to having a 1st edition from 2004 and standards were not so high back then. But looking at the miniatures in this expansion, I am astonished at how amateurish and low quality they are. Seriously, the horses are atrocious, all the poses are flat and awkward, and the moulding quality is rubbery and lacking in detail. Galadriel is apparently wearing mittens, Aragorn has had his head squashed, and the Mouth is looking so camp I'm assuming he's got heels and a skirt on underneath that robe. It's the least threatening Balrog ever depicted - is it a baby Balrog perhaps? - and the Ringwraith is apparently melting.

This is a flagship product for the publisher and as far as I can tell they didn't even hire a professional miniature sculptor. Given that all there is in this box is the minis, some dice and a small handful of cards and tokens, this might all be acceptable if sold for under a tenner. But they are asking 28 quid for it RRP!

Luckily this game is such a masterpiece of design it literally feels like you are inside Tolkien's novels 'experiencing' the trials and agony of the characters first-hand. If you had to you could replace every mini with a piece of chewed bubblegum and it would not detract from the epic ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Me, I think the minis are fine for what this is, which is a BOARDGAME which uses minis as tokens. It's not a MINIATURES game. It's not Warhammer. I realize they have put out painted Collectors and now Anniversary editions, but while I could have afforded either, I did not buy them because I didn't need the painted minis to further my enjoyment of the game. Now, I did paint my minis, but only solid colors with a spray paint, to help differentiate the pieces of the various factions. Again, this was a choice simply to help facilitate the play of the game, more than for any aesthetic reason.

NOTE - I did preorder the Anniversary Edition map and rule book, but that was a lot less of a commitment than buying the entire Anniversary Edition with all of the painted minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of these minis are still using original moulds from the first edition expansion. Also new ones are done in the same style. Not as good as many new games, but see above comment (two above)

If they ever do a 3rd edition I hope they go for new moulds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:

Luckily this game is such a masterpiece of design it literally feels like you are inside Tolkien's novels 'experiencing' the trials and agony of the characters first-hand. If you had to you could replace every mini with a piece of chewed bubblegum and it would not detract from the epic ride.

Heh - chewed bubblegum is a pretty good description of Aragorn's horse.

If you prefer, this is about value, not design decisions, although I think they could have made much nicer, more appropriate and more functional components from cardboard or wood, rather than amateurish plastic minis. But if they are using old moulds and cheap production methods, they should be charging appropriately. Unless that is they have found a group of people to whom they can sell anything. Take a look around at the quality of components some companies - even small companies - are producing for around the same price as this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sculpts lean toward 70s fantasy style. That is really your complaint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:

My criticism is what I wrote, but yes, it's 1970s mass-market quality at 2017 boutique prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex S
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

My criticism is what I wrote, but yes, it's 1970s mass-market quality at 2017 boutique prices.

As someone who grew up playing the 1977 version of the game this one is a remake of (not officially because the now defunct SPI made the original War of the Ring and Ares doesn't have the rights to that game), even the low quality minis are quite a step up from the cardboard squares used back then.

That said, I definitely get what you're saying and definitely wouldn't complain if War of the Ring 3rd edition came out with CMON level of minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
keirion wrote:
achates wrote:
treece keenes wrote:

As someone who grew up playing the 1977 version of the game this one is a remake of (not officially because the now defunct SPI made the original War of the Ring and Ares doesn't have the rights to that game), even the low quality minis are quite a step up from the cardboard squares used back then.

That said, I definitely get what you're saying and definitely wouldn't complain if War of the Ring 3rd edition came out with CMON level of minis.

Just to set the record straight, WotR is not a remake of the SPI version. The rights for a Lord of the Rings boardgame based on the literary source had been non existent since the SPI version went out of print.

Then in the 2000s the license became available and several companies bid for it. Nexus Games (now defunct) got the license and when Nexus closed down Ares Games "inherited" the license as some of the Nexus people (including the designer Roberto Di Meglio) started up Ares Games.

Read this interview to get part of the picture:

http://warofthering.eu/interview1.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them painted! Even 12-year old Aragorn on his pantomime horse looks passable if he's given a decent paintjob.

Playing this game unpainted would give me massive eyestrain, and I'd never remember which dark grey blob was which from the other side of the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if WotR isn't a "remake" of the SPI version it certainly looks like a "re imagining" (much like the modern tv-version of the classic Battlestar Galactica). They share more than a few similar concepts (characters and armies, event card play, search for the ring, limited actions (dice vs shadow points), and so on).

The models are indeed not of a quality that matches the otherwise brilliant game. They do look better painted and a few of them are passable, but there are a lot of design mistakes on them (left handed, missing foot, bad proportions, awkward pose, grotesque elven queen, and so on).

There are however a few sculpts I like (the first edition nazghûl and Gandalf the Grey are not so bad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.