Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect to have eight players at my next game night and have been looking at my game options. I have had fun with this game at smaller player counts and am wondering if it's good with eight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
I expect to have eight players at my next game night and have been looking at my game options. I have had fun with this game at smaller player counts and am wondering if it's good with eight.
I recall this with 4p seemed to overstay its welcome. Not right away, but perhaps half an hour longer than it should've. I'd imagine 8p down time and game length could be horrendous. However, if your group doesn't mind this sort of thing, then go for it! I'm also assuming the game has enough components for 8 (there weren't any unique starting components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loria Leonardo c/o Gran Torino Cioccolato
Italy
Torino
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play in eight with a lot of fun and we laugh a lot of unfavorable rolls of dice of other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with eight all the time and it's a big hit. It's not one where everyone will be intensely engaged the whole time, but it's very social and we laugh a lot.

That said, I have considered trying out a D4 to replace the movement die to speed things along a little. The "0" face on the movement die is anticlimactic and slows the game down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
kendahlj wrote:
I recall this with 4p seemed to overstay its welcome. Not right away, but perhaps half an hour longer than it should've. I'd imagine 8p down time and game length could be horrendous. However, if your group doesn't mind this sort of thing, then go for it! I'm also assuming the game has enough components for 8 (there weren't any unique starting components).

The box says 3-8 players, so I think there's probably the correct computers.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm still undecided...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this with 7 and 8 and I think it works well. I think it works best in the 5/6 range, but 7 or 8 is fun as well. If you can encourage everyone to take their turn quickly that will help. Turns go very fast if people know what they want to do on their next turn (play a card, buy a horse, place a bet, etc.), even with 8.

We also use two house rules that I think makes the game go a bit faster and is still fun. I use a die that eliminates the zero and adds another two. So my die is a 1,1,1,2,2,3 d6. The zero, as was mentioned above, slows the game down. The other house rule is that I remove the two or three cards that move horses backwards. I played a game with six people within just the last two weeks and we had eight of the horses in the No Bets zone at the same time. Amazing. (Not that this is due to my house rules; but I just illustrate to show that it in no way hampers the fun that this game brings.)

Even without the house rules, I think it works well with 8, if you are ok with it being a bit long for what it is.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kendahlj wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
kendahlj wrote:

The box says 3-8 players, so I think there's probably the correct computers.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm still undecided...
I was mistaken on that part then. Good to know! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.