Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Questions

1) Rule book says you can spend an intel token as an action to trigger an "inspection"... this can be countered. On page 6 it says conduct Intel at the cost of 2 tokens? Is it 1 or 2

2) When attacking an undefended province, if the Strength is still 0 after modifiers, the attacker must still place a Strength 1 in the winner pile. So if I attack a zone with NO modifiers and no defensive cards... I still lose a Str 1 attack card to the Win pile?

3) When Russia enters the war, there is a Russian Fort in the Urals deck. Can I place this anywhere I own, or only in a Russian area?

4) Rhur can not be attacked from the N Sea. Can England be attacked from the N sea from Rhur?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
Some Questions

1) Rule book says you can spend an intel token as an action to trigger an "inspection"... this can be countered. On page 6 it says conduct Intel at the cost of 2 tokens? Is it 1 or 2

Always 1 more. So if opponent spends 2 you must go to 3 to block.

Quote:
2) When attacking an undefended province, if the Strength is still 0 after modifiers, the attacker must still place a Strength 1 in the winner pile. So if I attack a zone with NO modifiers and no defensive cards... I still lose a Str 1 attack card to the Win pile?

You always have to lose SOMETHING, even if the strength is zero.

Quote:
3) When Russia enters the war, there is a Russian Fort in the Urals deck. Can I place this anywhere I own, or only in a Russian area?

Anywhere. The 'USSR' indication on the card is just so you know that you get it when the USSR enters the war.

Quote:
4) Rhur can not be attacked from the N Sea. Can England be attacked from the N sea from Rhur?

Yes.

[q/]Thanks[/q]

No problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocky123 wrote:
Some Questions

It costs 2 tokens if you do it during your card play phase and 1 token if you do it during the intelligence phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Quote:
When attacking an undefended province, if the Strength is still 0 after modifiers, the attacker must still place a Strength 1 in the winner pile. So if I attack a zone with NO modifiers and no defensive cards... I still lose a Str 1 attack card to the Win pile?

Quote:
You always have to lose SOMETHING, even if the strength is zero.

I don't understand the reason.

Under 6.3 Victory: the Attacker must select cards totaling the Defender strength,including bonuses. These are placed on the Win stack on the Attacker’s Play Mat.

If the Defender's strength is 0, I think it means you need not place any cards on the Win stack. What your answer means you must ALWAYS place at least one card on the Win stack, which I cannot infer from the rule. Thus if you have a 3 army attacking an undefended province without any bonuses, then you have to lose your 3 army. Am I correct?

[EDIT] The definition of Victory is: Attacker has at least double the Defender total. Mathematically, I have no idea what it is when the Defender's strength is 0. Should the attacker have at least 1 or 2 strength points to obtain a Victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about this as well. We've played it that an undefended province with no modifiers (winter, advantage token) is worth zero and the attacker doesn't place any units on the win stack, rather they place all attacking units in the province.

I don't see in the rules where it states you must lose at least 1 unit. If that is the intent, I think that is something that needs to make it into the Errata/FAQ document since it isn't clearly stated in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Torni
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"When attacking an undefended province, if the Strength is still 0 after modifiers, the attacker must still place a Strength 1 in the winner pile."

This is news to me. Where is this rule from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Would the designer chime in to clarify and confirm the case about attacking an undefended province without modifiers?

Is Victory obtained by 1 or 2 attack strength?

Does the attacker have to place a card on the winner pile in event of Victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

Would the designer chime in to clarify and confirm the case about attacking an undefended province without modifiers?

Is Victory obtained by 1 or 2 attack strength?

Does the attacker have to place a card on the winner pile in event of Victory?

If the defender has zero strength:

> The Attacker automatically wins. (Assuming they have at least 1 strength)
> The Attacker must place a card of at least strength 1 into the Win pile.

Remember that this is after all adders. So if the Attacker is invading an empty province, it has 4 strength, not 0. So 8 would be needed for a win, at least 4 to force a Quagmire.

Here's the rule from the rule book (This is from 6.7 Undefended Provinces):

If the strength is zero after all modifiers, the Attacker automatically
wins, but must choose a single card to place in the Win stack.

I thought this was pretty clear, but I guess not.

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Thanks for the prompt reply. thumbsup

[EDIT] My bad for overlooking 6.7 modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:

What's not quite clear to me is what happens if the Attacker does not have at least 1 strength when attacking an undefended province without modifiers on either side, for example if the Operation just contains the Province card and a Dummy. Is it a Quagmire? Is it only an automatic win if the Attacker can place a card into his Win pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

chargetheguns wrote:
engelstein wrote:

What's not quite clear to me is what happens if the Attacker does not have at least 1 strength when attacking an undefended province without modifiers on either side, for example if the Operation just contains the Province card and a Dummy. Is it a Quagmire? Is it only an automatic win if the Attacker can place a card into his Win pile?

This time I found the answer under 5.5.2:

If at this point the Attacker has no cards with valid attack factors for the type of battle (Ground or Naval), they are automatically defeated. This is treated the same as a Rout (see "6.2 Rout").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.