Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Quest for El Dorado» Forums » General

Subject: New information on El Dorado: deck building rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From W. Eric Martin on Twitter:



I'm very curious to see what Knizia does with deck building.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Goatcabin wrote:
From W. Eric Martin on Twitter:



I'm very curious to see what Knizia does with deck building.


Ah, I wondered if this was Knizia's deck builder he was talking about last year in interviews. Very keen to see this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Ah, I wondered if this was Knizia's deck builder he was talking about last year in interviews. Very keen to see this.
I guess it's going to be more Knizian than some might expect now - as far as I remember he said things like "You may call the mechanism of this new game a kind of deck building"...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
I guess it's going to be more Knizian than some might expect now - as far as I remember he said things like "You may call the mechanism of this new game a kind of deck building"...


Well, that's even better
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to hear some more info on this. Release date etc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The release date is March. Watching amazon.de like a hawk
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this page on the game (in German), and here's the Google translation:


Quote:
The game "El Dorado" by Reiner Knizia appears at Ravensburger. It is for two to four players from 10 years. "El Dorado" is a deck building and race game, which also contains a two-player variant.

There are nine tables on both sides, which can be arranged variably. In March 2017 it is to come on the market. The EIA will be € 38.

This is what the publisher says about the game

Dense jungle, daring treasure trove, one goal: El Dorado. Gold, jewels and precious artefacts, however, await only forward-looking adventurers. Who decides the exciting race for fame and wealth for the new Ravensburger family game?

The search for the legendary, promising country "El Dorado" lures two to four players as expedition leaders into the deep jungle of South America. The adventure trip wants to be well thought out! At the beginning of a game, each player receives eight action cards. By buying, he expands his personal map deck, from which he draws his hand cards every round. Gradually, he is surrounded by an expedition team whose members are characterized by different abilities. But beware! Narrow paths wind through the jungle and are not suitable for large entourage. On occasion, the separation of individual companions or equipment objects. The principle of the deck building requires the players to critically weigh which maps speed the course through the jungle. Superfluous ballast should get rid of the adventurers to get faster. You can not lose sight of the competition, but an encounter on narrow paths can mean unnecessary time loss. Even in countless ways, all players have only one goal in mind: El Dorado. Who decides the race there for itself?


Looks like some interesting Knizian trade-offs: getting lots of special helpers is nice, but it will slow your progress through the narrowest portions of the jungle. I'm eager to see how the deck-building element plays in (aside from removing "superfluous ballast").

There is still surprisingly little information available on this supposedly March release...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's a photo: http://kinrp.info/info/id1442764751348009973_1810923339media
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules are up on the Ravensburger site. I translated them to get a feel for the game. I'm really looking forwards to it.

I don't think it's going to be the next great deck builder, but I think it's going to be a solid family game, which is fine with me!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Knizia even know what deck building is? I thought he didn't play anyone else's games because he didn't want to be influenced by their designs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geekhype wrote:
How does Knizia even know what deck building is? I thought he didn't play anyone else's games because he didn't want to be influenced by their designs.


I think that's a little bit of a myth - there is a nice two player Carcassonne game from him out there. And even if he doesn't, his lauded band of playtesters are bound to.

Having had a good look through the rules, this Wettlauf nach El Dorado looks right in my wheelhouse. The deck building twist isn't really a twist, it's a mechanic used to race across the board - bit like Automobiles I guess. I like the base camp/trash cards mechanic. Includes specific rules for two players, and a caves variant (explore caves for bonus tiles to use during the game). Vohlwinkel art, only a few cards with German on them. Instant purchase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huff
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
geekhype wrote:
How does Knizia even know what deck building is? I thought he didn't play anyone else's games because he didn't want to be influenced by their designs.


I think that's a little bit of a myth - there is a nice two player Carcassonne game from him out there. And even if he doesn't, his lauded band of playtesters are bound to.

Having had a good look through the rules, this Wettlauf nach El Dorado looks right in my wheelhouse. The deck building twist isn't really a twist, it's a mechanic used to race across the board - bit like Automobiles I guess. I like the base camp/trash cards mechanic. Includes specific rules for two players, and a caves variant (explore caves for bonus tiles to use during the game). Vohlwinkel art, only a few cards with German on them. Instant purchase.


Thanks for the reply! I defintely plan on picking it up as well, I just remember reading that pretentious statement before and found this release may be counter to what had been said in the past. Honestly I would like him to be more connected to the community and the new mechanics coming out. Many of his games are amazing, but it has been awhile since I have been amazed by a new release from him...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geekhype wrote:
I just remember reading that pretentious statement before and found this release may be counter to what had been said in the past.
I think it's been asked a few times in interviews before, and he said he does play others' games, he just doesn't have time to play many of these (and often), but yes, his playtesters do, obviously.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.