The Great Heartland Hauling Co.» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin T
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My gaming group tried this game for the first time last night with four players and had a mixed experience. We enjoyed the gameplay mechanics, but found one rule to be a deal breaker.

"When one player reaches 30 or more points in a 5P/4P game, (or 40 points in a 3P game or
50 points in a 2P game), each other player gets one more turn and the game ends."

Because of the way the last round works, we found that the person who goes last is at a major disadvantage. 3 of the players were neck and neck toward the end, but since the player with the 3rd turn triggered the end of the game, the player who went last ended up short a turn. On top of that, his first turn was extremely limited due to starting cards and spaces being blocked by other trucks. Doesn't going first give the first player a major advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Pesta
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have went first in several games and have lost every time. So not sure if being first is really powerful or if I am just not very good.

I really like the game and have the expansion but have not used it yet. I will use it in the next game I play and all future games.

I had 1 game where I triggered the end of the game, but had too much loaded on my truck causing negative points and another player got ahead of me. Really gotta plan better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
pestaside wrote:
I have went first in several games and have lost every time. So not sure if being first is really powerful or if I am just not very good.

I really like the game and have the expansion but have not used it yet. I will use it in the next game I play and all future games.

I had 1 game where I triggered the end of the game, but had too much loaded on my truck causing negative points and another player got ahead of me. Really gotta plan better!

We found in playtesting that this was about the norm for most players. We didn't really find a first-player advantage because later players are able to play defensively and work to block out the first and second players from making a lucrative haul. It's really about finding your best moves while creating a huge road block to the other players.

I have seen a couple playgroups house rule the end game, where it triggers and there is another full round played after that. Anyone is more than welcome to give that a try and see if it changes the play for their group!

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin T
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply. Hadn't really thought of the potential advantage of going last. I'll keep that in mind for the next run, we might give that house rule a try too!

Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gob Bluth
msg tools
Hi Chris,

I appreciate the reply and feedback in this conversation. Your game is a fun one, to be sure! I have a couple of questions in addition to AudioPhile's question... but a bit more specific -

1 - I felt that the first and second players had an advantage during the opening turn due to the openness of the board (and since you cannot stop on an occupied card/space). Since we can't control movement (outside of paying $ to move) - the cards in your opening hand are random. Having an open board allows you to have any possibility of movement that your cards allow. Yet for the 3rd and 4th players, that option is restricted due to the first two player's Trucks occupying spaces... which leads those players to likely need to spend $ to move - which the first two/three players did not. Did you find this to be the case? Or is the assumption that all players, at some point, will have to spend $ to move... so why not early?

2 - If a 4 player game ends with Player 3 triggering the endgame... doesn't that unfairly target player 4 with one fewer turn? I've seen responses discussing how you should be planning for things and ready for someone to end the game... but regardless, Players 1 and 2 are given a 'get out of jail free' card by having an additional turn to do something. If the game suddenly ends, why wouldn't you stop play immediately after Player 4 has a final turn? If not, the other players just received a chance to dump the contents of their trucks, etc. and Player 4 will have gone one, fewer time.

Thanks for the responses and support.

Gob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.