United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if there is any interest is having some significant organized play tournament at Gen Con this year? The usual learn to play isn't as fun for people who have a few dozen plays in hand.

It would be QMG +AM +AH, unconstructed deck.

I have thought at great length how a tourney for a team game could go, but I'm also interested in input. I really don't know how many people we'd actually get. Would people want to register as teams or be assigned to teams. Would we let people play solo? it's a big advantage. It's not likely every game would be 3 on 3.

What I don't want to discuss is tourneys not at Gen Con. I'm only asking about Gen Con right now.

I'd need to know:

1. what days/times work best for you
2. how you'd want teams arranged
3. how many rounds you want to play (assuming you were the champion)

anything else too!

thanks
Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell yes! Count Sharon and me in!

Scheduling is tough with so much to do at Gen Con. Perhaps single session tournaments? Multiple sessions just mean more opportunities for conflicts. Perhaps a single 4-hour block with 4 teams of 3 with two rounds. You could even run the self-contained tournaments multiple times.

Personally, day or evening works for us except for Thursday evening.

Perhaps let folks form their own teams and then assign any remaining single players or pairs to random teams? I’d prefer to team with friends but could live with random team assignments.

I’d prefer to see teams of three, but I also have no idea how many takers you’d get. You could even do both: a tournament for teams and a tournament for one-on-one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest concern with having more than one time slot is with diluting the potential attendee pool. I know this means some people won't be able to participate, but I've got to work it out somehow.

Right now I'm leaning towards Saturday Morning.

I do like the idea of people coming as teams but making sure we permit people to come solo and in pairs, and then team people up as possible. 12 makes for a nice tidy 2 round single elimination tourney (and I can give every person a semi-finalist award).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would work well.

I would hope we can easily fill 12 slots. If it sells out immediately in May, that's a good indication that demand is greater.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it in the event catalog: Quartermaster General Tournament Using Both Expansions! Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.