8 Posts

1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War» Forums » General

Subject: This or 1812? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Turl
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was going to purchase 1812 as I heard it combined some fun dice rolling mechanics with a war theme. Should I buy this instead? Are they similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Same system with tweaks, should be room for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
tunachunk wrote:
I was going to purchase 1812 as I heard it combined some fun dice rolling mechanics with a war theme. Should I buy this instead? Are they similar?

1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War has not yet been released, so most comparisons will be drawn from either playtest/demo at a convention experience or a rules based comparison.

That said, 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War, 1812: The Invasion of Canada, and 1775: Rebellion are all built on the same faction specific, dice rolling, card play system.

I own both 1812 & 1775 and I have pre-ordered 1754. If I had to recommend a game from the first two in this series, it would be 1775. I feel like it is a more balanced game out of the box. In my experience, 1812 is more asymmetrical and feels unbalanced if both sides try to play the same way. There is a bit more nuance to playing the Americans in that one.

Rules wise, the system is very approachable and easy to grok. I'd take a look at the rulebook for 1754 (I think it is in the file section). If it seems like something you'd like, I'd just wait for 1754. You can always go back and buy the previous games if you want something similar, but different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I own both 1775: Rebellion and 1812: The Invasion of Canada. I consider 1775 to be a significantly better game.

I have pre-ordered 1754, and I'm optimistic it will be at least as good as 1775, if not better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me 1812 is a better fit than 1775, but primarily because 1812 can accommodate five players while 1775 (and 1754, once it's released) can only handle four. 1812 is also marginally simpler to learn and plays a bit faster, but it lacks some of the depth and nuance that make 1775 a more fulfilling experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we've found that 1775 is more balanced than 1812. 1754 looks like it adds some great new tweaks to the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need one of these games right now I recommend 1775. However, I with everything I have read and seen I think that 1754 is going to be the best of the 3 games overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.