Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Does FFG enforce a street date? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Pieta
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
As relatively new to the LCG scene, I've been following the reprints and new releases on the upcoming page at FFG's site. I've been trying to catch up on some other titles that interest me.

This morning I got some emails from CSI on some back in stock notifications I signed up for.

These titles were either in the shipping now status or on the boat status. But they were reprints. However, the new Arkham Mythos pack is scheduled for Feb 2 and didn't become available.

I would've expected that the Arkham Mythos pack to become available, since it would seem to me that it would get delivered along with all the other reprints that became available.

My guess is that they enforce a street date for new releases, but not having much experience on the subject, I was wondering if anyone actually knew the answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My guess is that they enforce a street date for new releases, but not having much experience on the subject, I was wondering if anyone actually knew the answer.


They do. They even enforce street dates on not-new products sometimes. Shops were given street dates on Destiny reprints and restocks. My FLGS received a pile of boosters and stuff they had to wait a day to sell.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the change of the new ownership - there have been a lot of FFG items that have come out with street dates now. I believe that is what we will see now. (I thought I read somewhere that part of it was done to make sure that online sellers don't get any leg-up over brick and mortar stores...)

My FLGS has said several times now - with regard to boosters for the Star Wars Destiny packs - that they have had street dates for them even though they have them in already.

Both my base and my Dunwich were the Thursday of that release week I believe?

It's be sweet to see that first pack available on the 2nd... I'm not optimistic as it hasn't been updated yet on the FFG site - maybe we'll see it moved there today!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they do. It's a hard thing to enforce unless people whistle blow on physical store, but all stores are expected to hold off sales until the street date.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS doesn't give a crap about street date for anything but MtG. I've had LCG packs well before the supposed release dates. I dunno if they've switched to using Asmodee or a subsidiary as their distributor for FFG stuff yet, but the latest shipment was a late Dunwich Legacy and zero copies of Quorum, so I consider breaking street date fair compensation for all the delays.

They like money, right? Because when I see a thing I want/desire/need on a shelf before my preferred mail-order companies have it, I make it mine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
My FLGS doesn't give a crap about street date for anything but MtG. I've had LCG packs well before the supposed release dates. I dunno if they've switched to using Asmodee or a subsidiary as their distributor for FFG stuff yet, but the latest shipment was a late Dunwich Legacy and zero copies of Quorum, so I consider breaking street date fair compensation for all the delays.

They like money, right? Because when I see a thing I want/desire/need on a shelf before my preferred mail-order companies have it, I make it mine.


I hear you, but the policy is about fair competition. Not just between online retailers and physical stores but between physical stores competing in the same areas. This ensures no store is screwed because they randomly fell later in the shipping schedule due to their distributer.

If all FFG cared about was making money in the short term there would be no reason for these policies. I mean if they just submitted to deep discounters they would move way more units. As I always saw it these policies were put in place to support retailers that provide many free services for FFG by holding organized play events and promoting their games. It's an acknowledgement that those services prolong the life of their games. They make their sales flatter, but hopefully the profits from each game line have a longer tail. So doesn't it seem a bit uncool to not honor this pact when the entire reason for it's existence is to benefit them (the retailer).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you hear Feb 2? I don't see that on CSI and FFG still shows on the boat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pieta
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
lfisher wrote:
Where did you hear Feb 2? I don't see that on CSI and FFG still shows on the boat.


That was more of an inference on my end, based on the following.

At the FFG Upcoming page, there's a few LCG releases I've been tracking.

For LotR, the latest pack, the Mumakil shows Feb 2.

For aGoT, the latest pack, Tyrion's Chain shows Feb 2.

But I've been also watching some other reprints for availability, which include LotR's The Dunland Trap and Trouble in Tharbad. Both of these show On the Boat, but were available for purchase from CSI this morning.

So, since Miskatonic is due soon, but showed On the Boat, along with the LotR reprints, I thought maybe FFG just hasn't updated their Upcoming page and some on the boat titles were shipping to retailers.

My guess was the new releases were embargo'd, but the reprints had no such restriction. Hence the question on FFG street date, and my *guess* that Miskatonic would be available next week.

Thanks for all the responses BTW!

-Steve
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Sterny72 wrote:
So, since Miskatonic is due soon, but showed On the Boat, along with the LotR reprints, I thought maybe FFG just hasn't updated their Upcoming page and some on the boat titles were shipping to retailers.

My guess was the new releases were embargo'd, but the reprints had no such restriction. Hence the question on FFG street date, and my *guess* that Miskatonic would be available next week.

Thanks for all the responses BTW!

-Steve


That's a big guess. You should look at the dates they were put on the boat and work from them, not backways. Not everything on the boat is on the same boat.

You need to keep in mind that LCG shippments arrive usually on Tuesday/Wednesdays but can't be sold until the next Thursday due to tournament legality issues (cards need to have an official release they so they become legal for tournament play) and that chapter packs are at least 4 weeks from each other to not upset the meta. That has been applied to all LCGs even LotR and reprints (hence why today CSI was able to put stuff up), and I don't see why AH should be different.

By that logic, since Dunwich was released on the 12 (again Thursdays), you shouldn't expect the next Mythos pack until the 9th of February. That's if the pack is not delayed as there's usually some delays between DE and the cycle packs.

The fact that next week we should get the next AGoT chapter is also a reflection of that patter, as the previous one was released on January 5th (again a Thursday). LotR is a bid odd to predict right now, as there has been a delay between the DE and the cycle and I was expecting it to be released today. Since that didn't happen, the next possible release date is now Feb 2nd.

Edit: Also, how come you came to the conclusion that the Mythos chapter was going to be released alongside the AGoT and LotR chapters if it's not in "shipping now" status as the other 2?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pieta
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
x_chan wrote:

Edit: Also, how come you came to the conclusion that the Mythos chapter was going to be released alongside the AGoT and LotR chapters if it's not in "shipping now" status as the other 2?


Thanks for providing the information on the release patterns for the LCG's.

To answer your question, because reprints of Dunland Trap and Trouble in Tharbad show on the boat - but showed in stock and able to purchased from CSI this morning.

It's clear that the Upcoming page doesn't accurately reflect the current status for all the products listed, since those titles are in the hands of CSI, so I thought there was a chance for Miskatonic to show up next week.

Edit: Looking back at my initial post, it certainly reads that I was being definitive with the assertion that Miskatonic would be due next week. That wasn't my intention though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
Sterny72 wrote:
Thanks for providing the information on the release patterns for the LCG's.

To answer your question, because reprints of Dunland Trap and Trouble in Tharbad show on the boat - but showed in stock and able to purchased from CSI this morning.

It's clear that the Upcoming page doesn't accurately reflect the current status for all the products listed, since those titles are in the hands of CSI, so I thought there was a chance for Miskatonic to show up next week.

Edit: Looking back at my initial post, it certainly reads that I was being definitive with the assertion that Miskatonic would be due next week. That wasn't my intention though.


I see those now. I don't know what happened with the reprinted stuff. The Road Darkens is also available while FFG says it won't be released until next week. Maybe it's an early release or they haven't updated them properly, who knows.

Either way, early releases can't happen for new LCG chapters because of what I said. They need to be at least 4 weeks apart from each other to not upset the "meta". I wouldn't expect Miskatonic until the 9th.

There have been instances where some shops have had the stuff for weeks prior to the street date (usually foreigner countries like Italy or Poland) so the cards are spoilered by fans buying them from local stores, but can't be officially sold/played until the USA official street date.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.