Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, let me say that I really enjoy this game and this is in no way a criticism of it. But I'm curious, I've heard this is supposed to be a very difficult co-op and so far it's been pretty easy for my group. I'm wondering if there are specific scenarios which are supposed to be particularly difficult.

We've only played twice so far. Our first game was the intro scenario (gather ~15 wood in at most 12 turns) and we played 3 player. I believe we used either Friday or the dog but not both, but it's been a while. I think we had the wood and had won by the first possible turn when the boats start coming by.

Our second game, which we just played with the new edition, and which inspired this question, we played four player with no extra people, we did the scenario where we had to build crosses to de-curse the island, and again we finished two or three turns early. Neither game really even felt close to us losing.

I know two games is a bit small to start generalizing, and it's possible we just got lucky, but it seems odd to me that people will often call this one of the hardest co-ops. Unless like I said there are easier and harder scenarios and we played the easiest ones. But I've seen this compared to Ghost Stories in difficulty. I played that once three player and it felt basically impossible. And another friend who's been in on both of the Robinson Crusoe games said he went like one for eight on Ghost Stories at some point with some of his other friends. And that's on the easiest of I want to say four difficulty levels. Well frankly that one just seems to come down to luck more than I'd like anyway, but the point stands, are there really people who think these games are comparable in difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In the first scenario, were you able to build the roof level up a lot before the weather starts hitting you in round 4? Did you get lucky rolls on the weather dice? I find that the weather is the hardest thing to deal with in this scenario (because there's so much of it). Every snowflake makes you lose a wood and every cloud (snowflake or not) that isn't canceled out by your roof makes you lose a wood and a food. If all of your wood is already on the wood pile, you don't lose it, but you take wounds instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Soltis
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weasel47 wrote:
In the first scenario, were you able to build the roof level up a lot before the weather starts hitting you in round 4? Did you get lucky rolls on the weather dice? I find that the weather is the hardest thing to deal with in this scenario (because there's so much of it). Every snowflake makes you lose a wood and every cloud (snowflake or not) that isn't canceled out by your roof makes you lose a wood and a food. If all of your wood is already on the wood pile, you don't lose it, but you take wounds instead.

When I first played, I found I was missing small rules that would cause me to take wounds or draw event cards for the different actions. I think I 'won' my first couple of games. But upon re-reading them, this game becomes one of the harder co-opts. Nowhere near Ghost Stories but definitely less than 50% win rate.

I cannot say if you are missing a rule or simply got lucky with rolls and events. When I win now-a-days, I usually barely scrape by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger C
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Minds are the real estate of the 21st century
badge
I especially like the flip of the board.
mbmbmbmbmb
bmsoltis wrote:

When I first played, I found I was missing small rules that would cause me to take wounds or draw event cards for the different actions. I think I 'won' my first couple of games. But upon re-reading them, this game becomes one of the harder co-opts. Nowhere near Ghost Stories but definitely less than 50% win rate.

I cannot say if you are missing a rule or simply got lucky with rolls and events. When I win now-a-days, I usually barely scrape by.

I found Robinson Crusoe is much easier before you learn all the rules. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo (w/ Friday + dog), so the difficulty may be a bit different, but it took me a 4 or 5 tries to beat the first scenario. As the previous poster mentioned, the weather is a real butt and can wipe you out quickly if you get a few bad rolls and have insufficient shelter. I think over the course of my first few games it became clearer how to use my actions more efficiently, and then I had a bit of good luck that boosted me to a win.

I beat the second scenario on my first try on turn 7 and never felt close to losing. Again, I had a bit of luck (got the hatchet treasure card that gave me +1 wood during production), but I could see how it would be possible to lose the second scenario under different circumstances. That being said, I have read that the second scenario is relatively easier than most, if not all, the others.

I haven't tried scenario 3 yet, but from what I've seen, it is supposed to be pretty tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st of all I've played ghost stories only once long time ago but I think it's harder to win than robinson.
Another thing is that scenarios 1 and 2 are quiete easy if you know what to do. Especially scenario 2 is the easiest one.
The hardest one, but also most random, is cannibals island. Robinson family is also difficult.
Last thing is that different number of players in different scenarios is optimal. The game scales well but it can be easier or harder in some configurations.
And you could play some rules wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alek2 wrote:

Another thing is that scenarios 1 and 2 are quiete easy if you know what to do. Especially scenario 2 is the easiest one.
The hardest one, but also most random, is cannibals island. Robinson family is also difficult.
Last thing is that different number of players in different scenarios is optimal. The game scales well but it can be easier or harder in some configurations.
And you could play some rules wrong

Yes indeed. If you have played the game around 10 times then you can probably win scenarios 1-2 without much difficulty.

But as you said it was your first couple of games, and assuming that noone in your group had played this game before, then I'd suppose you might have missed some rules and inadvertedly made the game easier for yourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the most difficult scenario so far is the 1st one the Castaways.
My plays so far:
Scenario 1(Castaways): 8 plays - 4 wins
Scenario 3(Save Jenny): 3 plays - 1 wins
Scenario 4(Volcano): 1 play - 0 win
Scenario 5(Cannibal): 1 play - 0 wins
Scenario 7(King Kong): 2 plays - 0 wins
Custom Scenario(Zombie Island): 1 play - 0 win
Custom Scenario(Dinosaur Island): 1 play - 1 win
Custom Scenario(Poachers): 1 play - 1 win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GladiatorGr wrote:
I have found that the most difficult scenario so far is the 1st one the Castaways.
My plays so far:
Scenario 1(Castaways): 8 plays - 4 wins
Scenario 3(Save Jenny): 3 plays - 1 wins
Scenario 4(Volcano): 1 play - 0 win
Scenario 5(Cannibal): 1 play - 0 wins
Scenario 7(King Kong): 2 plays - 0 wins
Custom Scenario(Zombie Island): 1 play - 0 win
Custom Scenario(Dinosaur Island): 1 play - 1 win
Custom Scenario(Poachers): 1 play - 1 win

Castaways is only difficult if you are a new player, and thus don't know what to prioritise.

Tips: Prioritise building the hatchet and roof to level 4. Keep morale at max by arranging the camp as needed. Explore early and often with 1 pawn, build with 2 pawns. Use snare/shortcut to get extra food per turn. Don't bother gathering until the very late game when you've build all the useful stuff and you need some extra wood (exception if you are playing with 4 and have the basket).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, some good thoughts, thanks guys. I can't say for sure if we got any rules wrong, but I'm fairly confident that at least the most recent play we didn't. The most recent play was with the new version which apparently has a much better written rulebook and also at this point we've all been playing games long enough that we rarely get rules wrong from the rulebook.

I also can't say how lucky our rolls were from the first scenario since it was a while ago, but 'build up the roof' doesn't seem like it's some super secret advanced player strategy when the rules tell you that you'll be rolling a bunch of dice that can hurt you and/or take away resources, but that these can be mitigated by roof levels.

But in any case it sounds like the difficulty should ramp up, so that's good, we'll just have to play some of the later scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
jblomquist wrote:
Ok, some good thoughts, thanks guys. I can't say for sure if we got any rules wrong, but I'm fairly confident that at least the most recent play we didn't. The most recent play was with the new version which apparently has a much better written rulebook and also at this point we've all been playing games long enough that we rarely get rules wrong from the rulebook.

I also can't say how lucky our rolls were from the first scenario since it was a while ago, but 'build up the roof' doesn't seem like it's some super secret advanced player strategy when the rules tell you that you'll be rolling a bunch of dice that can hurt you and/or take away resources, but that these can be mitigated by roof levels.

But in any case it sounds like the difficulty should ramp up, so that's good, we'll just have to play some of the later scenarios.

Based on how easy you found the first scenario to be, I suspect you got very lucky with your rolls (and card draws) or missed some rules or both. There are just too many things that can use up your wood otherwise. If you ever play it again, you may find it harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
'build up the roof' doesn't seem like it's some super secret advanced player strategy when the rules tell you that you'll be rolling a bunch of dice that can hurt you and/or take away resources, but that these can be mitigated by roof levels.

Lol exactly, right??

But read this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1708308/only-really-useful-...

This new player is giving up on the game because he didn't realise what seems obvious to you (e.g. scenario 1 has a lot of bad weather, so build up the roof) and found the game too difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
nobody82b wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
'build up the roof' doesn't seem like it's some super secret advanced player strategy when the rules tell you that you'll be rolling a bunch of dice that can hurt you and/or take away resources, but that these can be mitigated by roof levels.

Lol exactly, right??

But read this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1708308/only-really-useful-...

This new player is giving up on the game because he didn't realise what seems obvious to you (e.g. scenario 1 has a lot of bad weather, so build up the roof) and found the game too difficult.

My first time playing, I wrongly assumed that rolling all three weather dice every turn was going to be standard, and I therefore thought that the first scenario was giving me a break by having a few rounds without weather dice. I could tell that building up the roof was important, but I didn't take it seriously enough because I thought to myself "Surely the game isn't balanced in such a way that I have to focus on building (or acquiring resources for) the roof every turn!"

I could have looked at other scenarios to see that rolling three weather dice is in fact unusual, but I didn't think to do that (the other scenario sheets were packed away in the box).

I do think it wouldn't be so horrible for the game to come with a really, really easy starter scenario. When I say "easy," I mean easy even for naive first-time players. It could be like Gilligan's island: You invent some cool stuff and go on fun adventures and not much bad stuff happens. Nobody would be at risk of dying unless you go looking for danger. The description of the scenario would make it clear that the real challenge awaits in the subsequent scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Parker
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have found that building the roof can be tricky in the first scenario, especially with 4 players (it takes 4 wood and 3 fur per level). Assuming the animals that come up even give you enough fur, using that much wood will make finishing the pile difficult. You can get by with just 1 level of roof if you get the Cook many determination tokens.

Have the cook cancel events (to get tokens) and, at the beginning of the game have him arrange the camp many times and get yet more. Never spend these on gather actions (or anything else) at the beginning of the game. Then, when the weather hits, you will be able to cancel multiple clouds(at 3 tokens each), which will let you save enough wood to finish the pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
patparker wrote:
I have found that building the roof can be tricky in the first scenario, especially with 4 players (it takes 4 wood and 3 fur per level).

You're making it harder for yourself. The costs for the shelter, roof, and palisade are wood OR fur, not wood AND fur (and you can't mix and match).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
patparker wrote:
Have the cook cancel events (to get tokens) and, at the beginning of the game have him arrange the camp many times and get yet more. Never spend these on gather actions (or anything else) at the beginning of the game. Then, when the weather hits, you will be able to cancel multiple clouds(at 3 tokens each), which will let you save enough wood to finish the pile.
I'm not sure if you're playing this right, but you're only allowed to use each ability once per turn. You can only cancel one cloud each turn. If you're rolling both precipitation dice, you'll often have 3 clouds to deal with, and 1 roof just won't cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patparker wrote:
I have found that building the roof can be tricky in the first scenario, especially with 4 players (it takes 4 wood and 3 fur per level). Assuming the animals that come up even give you enough fur, using that much wood will make finishing the pile difficult. You can get by with just 1 level of roof if you get the Cook many determination tokens.

As others mentioned, you can't use a character ability more than once per round.
Also, if you are playing 4 player, arranging the camp gives you either a morale or +2 determination tokens. Taking the tokens is the wrong move(increasing morale by one leads to 1 determination token per turn, which adds up throughout the course of the game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.