Mistfall: Heart of the Mists» Forums » General

Subject: What do you like about this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 3 or 4 times now. First the tutorial, and then the 1st quest proper.
1st proper game I got smashed. Posted on here, and got some helpful feedback (thanks), so today's game was a lot more successful (I got to the end boss before getting killed by his minions).

Success or otherwise though, I've not really found it fun at any point. The iconography isn't very clear, the rule book isn't that intuitively laid out, everything just feels like a grind.

Now, I know that if I play the game enough, the amount of time spent checking rules will go down, but I'm still not sure where I see the enjoyment in this.

So I'm curious: people who like this game, what's the appeal? I'm trying to get a sense of whether it's worth persevering, or whether I should just look to sell up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb

Change TV to game, and you got it.

But seriously, finding good combos to whack the bad guys, finding out what the next location tile is, finding out what the next quest is, seeing if I can beat the quest, getting new loot and ultimately beating a boss (or not) is great when it all comes together.

I never had problems with the rules/rulebook, so I didn't have much frustration except with finding the strategies, so I came at it from another angle, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
So I'm curious: people who like this game, what's the appeal? I'm trying to get a sense of whether it's worth persevering, or whether I should just look to sell up.

If you play it 3 or 4 times and it doesn't spark then perhaps it isn't for you. I find Mistfall/HotM to be like a condensed version of Mage Knight: it _is_ a grind, there's something very maths-y and puzzle-like about it. It's gratifying when it works and maddening when it doesn't, but your skill level arcs quite fast and you stop outright losing after a while unless the cards are behaving very perversely.

I like the aesthetic: the chilly Northern vibe. Then there's the interrelations between the different decks. But I have gamer buddies who are very "meh" about Mistfall/HotM and others who froth over it like me.

Marmite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadmarlowe wrote:
Marmite?

At the risk of derailing the thread: I like Marmite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Success or otherwise though, I've not really found it fun at any point. The iconography isn't very clear, the rule book isn't that intuitively laid out, everything just feels like a grind.

Ultimately, I think you need to look at why the game isn't fun for you.

If the reason you aren't having fun is due to the iconography and rulebook not being clear, then I would suggest you have another go. However, if you are finding the mechanisms aren't fun for you, then I would suggest you move on to a different game.

As for myself, it took me 7-8 games of the base game (haven't played HotM yet) before I was comfortable with the iconography and rules. However, once I was comfortable with the rules, I found that I could focus on the story that was being told by the scenario and the cards. What I found was that there was a brilliantly exciting story that was emerging naturally out of the cards for me.

In fact, I found the story so engaging that I turned my session reports on this game into a series of bad fiction. Example here - https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/211592/item/4815169#item4...

To be fair, from talking to other people, I think my level of engagement with the story is not that common. Even if you do decide to persevere with the game, you shouldn't expect to get as immersed in the theme as I do. Either way, hope that explains why I like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irondeav wrote:
deadmarlowe wrote:
Marmite?

At the risk of derailing the thread: I like Marmite.

Derailing Threads: you either love it or hate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stoakes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be worth saying (but this is probably the wrong thread) that there may be Mistfall fans out there who are hesitant about getting HotM because the box art looks muddy and not in keeping with the beautiful tones and artwork of the original. I've just taken delivery of HotM and the Sand & Snow expansion. They are absolutely beautiful in terms of artwork and component quality and completely in keeping with the original. In fact the location tiles in HotM are even better IMO than those in the original. This is a game system I'm really pleased to have invested in (including buying a second, back-up copy of the original going cheap on Amazon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.