18 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Revised editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
How significant are the changes in the "revised editions" of the base game or expansions? Will FFG give you the updated cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BoardTogether wrote:
How significant are the changes in the "revised editions" of the base game or expansions? Will FFG give you the updated cards?

The misprints from the first edition were corrected in the 2nd edition. These cards were also included in Dunwich Horror. I want to say this was only 4-6 cards that were revised though.

The only expansion that was revised was Curse of the Pharaoh and it is basically a redesign.

To my knowledge, there are no other difference in printings of anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pharaoh revised is vastly superior to the first edition.
When I opened the 1st Ed, my reaction was "That's it?". Revised, on the other hand, has the feel of a full set that does the (imo) best job of meshing with the core game out of all expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one other thing to look out for.

The first release of Dunwich Horror that made it to shelves is the version I know and love.

However, I get the impression that in subsequent re-prints, FFG sent earlier drafts to the printer and may have misplaced the final version, because suddenly Dunwich had misprints like Marie Lambeau being a "phychic" or something like that. There was also a misprint on the included revised Healing Stone from that expansion that was meant to be an updated version from the base game.

I had to search around to remind myself the specifics but I mention it in this post from 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your board is tan colored, you already have the revised edition; the first edition board is much darker.

First Edition

Revised

If you DO have the dark board edition, as Brian noted, you can get the replacement cards with the Dunwich expansion. The ruelbook has only one minor change that I know of (the term "Monster Surge" is added to the rule on gates opening on getes, but the actual rules are unchanged).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the revised version of the base game, in addition to adding the "monster surge" term, they also:

-Added a rule that the AO awakens if you have to draw a new monster or gate token but none remain
-Added the rule that the AO awakens if the terror level is 10 and you have twice the number of monsters in play as the original monster limit
-Changed the terror level such that when it hits 10, you do not immediately add a doom token, but instead you add one whenever the terror level should have increased beyond 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
kungfro wrote:
In the revised version of the base game, in addition to adding the "monster surge" term, they also:

-Added a rule that the AO awakens if you have to draw a new monster or gate token but none remain
-Added the rule that the AO awakens if the terror level is 10 and you have twice the number of monsters in play as the original monster limit
-Changed the terror level such that when it hits 10, you do not immediately add a doom token, but instead you add one whenever the terror level should have increased beyond 10

If i have the lighter board is my copy "revised"? also what other changes were made if any past these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BoardTogether wrote:
kungfro wrote:

If i have the lighter board is my copy "revised"? also what other changes were made if any past these?

Lighter board (that matches the expansion boards) = Revised edition.

The card errata that was included in Dunwich is already incorporated.

As mentioned above, the rule book (the same as online) was updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think the darker board is more thematic although harder to se if you had mood lighting.

Happily we have played so much of this we know where every location as if we lived there lol.

Slight departure from this thread if I have first edition of the mini expansion is there enough new content to warrant getting the 2nd edition?.

In short is it like a new expansion but with the same name?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokerman wrote:
I still think the darker board is more thematic although harder to se if you had mood lighting.

Happily we have played so much of this we know where every location as if we lived there lol.

Slight departure from this thread if I have first edition of the mini expansion is there enough new content to warrant getting the 2nd edition?.

In short is it like a new expansion but with the same name?.

The only redesigned expansion is Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, which is worth getting a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did like that the 1st ed board was an image of the town, rather than a sepia map version, but all the expansion boards are sepia maps (I remember originally being annoyed that Dunwich looked like a map instead of like the town!), so 2nd ed blends better.

Also, 2nd ed is much more legible.

As far as the re-designed Dark Pharaoh expansion: the expansion has mostly the same components, but with revisions and updates on many cards, and a new mechanic to allow you to access Exhibit Items with more reliability.

(Shameless plug time) If you get both editions, check out a thread I wrote detailing why I kept some of the non-revised versions of certain cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
kungfro wrote:
I did like that the 1st ed board was an image of the town, rather than a sepia map version, but all the expansion boards are sepia maps (I remember originally being annoyed that Dunwich looked like a map instead of like the town!), so 2nd ed blends better.

As far as the re-designed Dark Pharaoh expansion: the expansion has mostly the same components, but with revisions and updates on many cards, and a new mechanic to allow you to access Exhibit Items with more reliability.

(Shameless plug time) If you get both editions, check out a thread I wrote detailing why I kept some of the non-revised versions of certain cards.

Just went through all the AH files, thanks for you awesome contributions. .Do you know of any "concise" rules books floating around, one that includes all the expansions and faq stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
Do you know of any "concise" rules books floating around, one that includes all the expansions and faq stuff?

Would also like to know if there's some kind of file with all the FAQs and rules ambiguities compiled together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
BoardTogether wrote:
Do you know of any "concise" rules books floating around, one that includes all the expansions and faq stuff?

Would also like to know if there's some kind of file with all the FAQs and rules ambiguities compiled together.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605472/newbie-faq-21-th...

This is nowhere near complete, but it is very, very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:

If you go to the files section of the BGG listing for Arkham, and select "hot" (if it is not already selected) you will find the Universal Head rules summary, which is highly regarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For the FAQs, you want these. Broken down into each expansion or as once epic sized tome: Complete FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
kungfro wrote:

Just went through all the AH files, thanks for you awesome contributions. .Do you know of any "concise" rules books floating around, one that includes all the expansions and faq stuff?

I have found this reference sheath invaluable: http://www.orderofgamers.com/games/arkham-horror/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Glyphs wrote:
BoardTogether wrote:
kungfro wrote:

I have found this reference sheath invaluable: http://www.orderofgamers.com/games/arkham-horror/

Yeah his stuff is some of the best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.