BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Card Design for party Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
Hello,
I am currently dealing with the graphic design of my game "Dracula's Curse". It's a party game in which players must find and kill dracula before it turns evertyone into vampires.

Here is a card sample:

I would like to know your opinions about the design.
The card has: the name, the ability, the ability symbol (in this case is the sun), and the art.
Is the structure easy enough to let a player who doesn't know the rules to sit and play (after explaining the symbols)?
And talking about art, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Sumerian_Games wrote:
Hello,
I am currently dealing with the graphic design of my game "Dracula's Curse". It's a party game in which players must find and kill dracula before it turns evertyone into vampires.

Here is a card sample:

I would like to know your opinions about the design.
The card has: the name, the ability, the ability symbol (in this case is the sun), and the art.
Is the structure easy enough to let a player who doesn't know the rules to sit and play (after explaining the symbols)?
And talking about art, what do you think?

I like the clean look. What needs a little tweaking is the following:

The central art... looks ok from a graphic design POV, but from an artistic POV the eyes don't line up correctly. Even accounting for perspective, the right eye is far too low.

The font in the text box needs to be clean and easy to read. I would stick with Arial or something similar. Lose the gothic font.

Likewise, the top font needs to match the bottom font and be much larger. Don't be afraid to slap that title bar over the top 10% of the image. It'll frame it better.

Not sure how many icons your game has, but if it's more than, say, 4-5 you'll need to trim the amount down. I'd never consider more than 3-4 icons max for a "party game." The sun itself is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this:

The title bar color also matches the dominant color of the card's associated icon.

(Though to be fair... I'm not happy with how the title font looks... I think it needs a little more pop of some sort... maybe a more stylized font, but one that's easier to read than the gothic one you were using).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
thank you
about fonts: they are not definitive. i'm not quite happy with them either, but they are the closest i could find to what i'm looking for... I want to have a 19th century look for the game... I'll keep them by now until i move to illustrator for making a proper card layout, where i'll burn my eyebrows looking for a proper font.

i like the idea of the colored title bar. I'll see how it works out with the others

and about the symbols: there are 7 types, which 2 are the same... let me explain:
Sun: Can be used during the day
Moon: Can be used after the 3rd night
Green Star: Special (these are called during the night)
Golden Star: Special (Not called during the night)
Skull: Triggers when dead
Ray: Trigger after certain events
Bite mark: Trigger when turned into vampire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
You need a good frame, non-intrusive background, white borders, better fonts and prominent place for icons. If you wish I can make you a mock-up design suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Sumerian_Games wrote:
and about the symbols: there are 7 types, which 2 are the same... let me explain:

Ideally, your icons should be intuitive, using information the players already have to help solidify their meaning. The Green Star, Golden Star, and Ray all seem pretty abstract here.

I'd replace the Green star with a bat (a creature of the night, also Vampire themed) and the Golden star with a rooster (a creature of the morning, surely). As for the Ray, this might have to be abstract.

Another reason to reconsider the stars is that having two icons that look the same but just different colors is not as user friendly as using different shapes would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
You need a good frame, non-intrusive background, white borders, better fonts and prominent place for icons. If you wish I can make you a mock-up design suggestion.

Maybe move the icon to top left - or even to both sides of the top title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:
Sumerian_Games wrote:

Ideally, your icons should be intuitive, using information the players already have to help solidify their meaning. The Green Star, Golden Star, and Ray all seem pretty abstract here.

I'd replace the Green star with a bat (a creature of the night, also Vampire themed) and the Golden star with a rooster (a creature of the morning, surely). As for the Ray, this might have to be abstract.

Another reason to reconsider the stars is that having two icons that look the same but just different colors is not as user friendly as using different shapes would be.

Changed the green star to an exclamation/warining sign, since they are called during the day...
about the ray, i need something fast. Those are like instants in magic the gathering, which can be played at any time if the trigger matches the card. for example, if a player dies, or if someone is trying to kill you... my first thought was a ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:

if you want
for a frame i was thinking something like this:
http://img.fontspace.com/preview/d/73ac6d8932504be18b1f7017f...
even the background could be something similar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
gamesbook wrote:
8Oj4N wrote:

Maybe move the icon to top left - or even to both sides of the top title.

I like top left or where it was in the original xd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
One detail that bothers me is the stretched-out corners of the bottom box. I like the design of the top one, where the corner cut-outs are round, but at the bottom they look like the same design, only stretched out to fit the width of the card. Probably not something your average player would notice or care about though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
This is what I had in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That right there is a great design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
This is what I had in mind.

wow that's amazing surprise
my first original idea was to make the cards as old portraits, but my sketches sucked... i really like that one...
i think i must reconsider the design i'm using right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
what about this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Just be careful to not 'overdone' it. There are 3 main things on that card that must be distinguished on the first glance:
1. Card suit, or icon in this case
2. Character
3. Text
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
Just be careful to not 'overdone' it. There are 3 main things on that card that must be distinguished on the first glance:
1. Card suit, or icon in this case
2. Character
3. Text

that's very important to take into count...
i'll change the font of the text as it's hard to read in small (my computer screen is kinda big but in my phone i can barely read)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I think the gradient on the frame is unnecessary as well. A flat color would do fine. Also I don't love the grey-red/orange in the background. Something less contrasty would work. Same hue different value, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
smackwell wrote:
I think the gradient on the frame is unnecessary as well. A flat color would do fine. Also I don't love the grey-red/orange in the background. Something less contrasty would work. Same hue different value, maybe.

i changed the gradient (which atually was a gold texture) to flat colors.
and about the backgorund, i want to change it to a blood red color, because theme hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumerian Games
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
i'm also designing my own frame (the one in the pic is not originally from me so i'm not sure how illegal that might be)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.