Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About to start playing this and curious if each player will be the same province each game or if we choose provinces each game. Without having played, it seems to me I'd want to keep the same province each game as you're building "history" with it, but I could see wanting to swap out if your games aren't going great and there is another province that looks interesting. Hopefully that makes sense. Please no spoilers in the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Albert
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep the same one each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spriggster wrote:

This is definitely the intended behavior. I don't think anything breaks if your group decides to play differently, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
spriggster wrote:

This is definitely the intended behavior. I don't think anything breaks if your group decides to play differently, however.

Wouldn't changing home provinces be problematic because emnity stickers placed on province locations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
spriggster wrote:

It would at the very least drastically change the game play. The ship upgrades and the winner upgrades would not be strategically cumulative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hahma wrote:

Wouldn't changing home provinces be problematic because emnity stickers placed on province locations?

No, why would it? If Red has enmity against Green, from last game, it will still have it now that I'm playing Red and you're playing Green.

jebry wrote:
It would at the very least drastically change the game play. The ship upgrades and the winner upgrades would not be strategically cumulative.

It's definitely a different gameplay experience, and probably worse for the average player. But if a group decided to try it out, the mechanics should all still function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Hahma wrote:

No, why would it? If Red has enmity against Green, from last game, it will still have it now that I'm playing Red and you're playing Green.

So if Grey has 2 of my Green enmity stickers on its province, and we switch places the next game, then now I would have 2 of his (now Green player) emnity and he wouldn't have any of mine any longer because now I'm Grey and there weren't any Grey enmity stickers previously.

What you are saying is that the colors will still have enmity against the same colors regardless of who is playing those colors. That's true. But my point is that it changes things from a player standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the leader cards? I assume those are the same as well and are tied to each province board? I feel like set up and the prologue game will explain a lot, but that part didn't seem clear to me on the initial reading of the rules.

I've played Pandemic Legacy where you can be different characters each game which is where I'm coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's how it would have to work, yes. The gray faction would be ticked off at the green faction. The leader (card) of the gray faction would be the same as well.

Only the player controlling them would change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dymond Kyng wrote:
What about the leader cards? I assume those are the same as well and are tied to each province board? I feel like set up and the prologue game will explain a lot, but that part didn't seem clear to me on the initial reading of the rules.

The leader cards should be marked with a permanent enmity sticker of the faction they lead, and stored in their faction's province chest between games.

(Some of this might be on the Welcome to Seafall sheet instead of the rulebook - http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/seafall/startingru...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, it's clear the intended way to play is to keep the same province, and certainly if you want to play the campaign to try and get to a winner you will want to play that way, but I guess if you don't really care about winning the overarching campaign I could see people picking provinces at random each game and just keeping track of the campaign glory for fun (and to properly determine titles and whatnot).

It will likely change a lot the way you play though. In my experience individual games of Seafall are not as important as the overarching campaign, as each individual game can be rather swingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
lactamaeon wrote:
Dymond Kyng wrote:

The leader cards should be marked with a permanent enmity sticker of the faction they lead, and stored in their faction's province chest between games.

(Some of this might be on the Welcome to Seafall sheet instead of the rulebook - http://www.plaidhatgames.com/images/games/seafall/startingru...).

Well technically...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The only place that instructs you to add the faction sticker to your leader is the Welcome sheet that you read before playing the Prologue. So according to a strict reading of the rules, you pick a leader, add your faction sticker to it, destroy the leader card, and then do not add a sticker to the new leader which you play for the rest of the game.

(end of prologue spoilers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise against swapping provinces.

From what I can tell (we're not that far in, yet), Seafall is a lot about "playing the long game". Swapping provinces would throw out any long term strategies out of the window and most likely introduce alternate strategies devised towards making the most of the swapping game.

"I can't win with this province anyway. But if I get last place I can play the strongest province next game, so I better do whatever I can to mess up the #2 province to have an easier game next time."

As Seafall wasn't designed around swapping, but the exact opposite, I'm very sure it would, at some point, ruin the experience. If there's anything I learned from other legacy games, it's that a lot of the experience comes from the fact that all your actions have long term consequences, which really gets to you the longer the game goes. And if you're just grabbing a random faction each game, those decisions won't be impactful, or meaningful at all, since the odds of you playing that faction again are (at best) 20%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing factions between games of SeaFall would be kind of like changing seats/colors between turns in most other games. Can you do it? Sure. But ... why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this question is coming up because in Risk Legacy, you were meant to play different factions from game to game. That was part of its balancing mechanic. Even then, there were people with that game who asked if they could play the same faction every game. I think that might be why SeaFall is designed the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I think this question is coming up because in Risk Legacy, you were meant to play different factions from game to game. That was part of its balancing mechanic. Even then, there were people with that game who asked if they could play the same faction every game. I think that might be why SeaFall is designed the way it is.

It's not the only reason. SeaFall is, at its core, a 30 hours game split in several reasons.

Scenaristically and strategically, you ARE your province. It is not just for flavour and fun : the catchup mechanisms are built around your province identity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
8 games in, but no spoilers. Trust me, unlike in Risk Legacy, this game fully intends for you to maintain your same province from start to finish. Some things carry over, your decisions are play styles are important, and being forced to discover some other province's best play style option on the fly every game will ruin the experience. And the often vague rules and plot twists will make it difficult enough as is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.