Hide
9 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Customizing Your Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple Octopus
msg tools
If you're anything like me, you currently own enough Brimstone content to flip a forklift. I'm looking at a pile of game material that is so dense it rivals most dying suns.

And in a year, I'm going to double this. I'll inadvertantly cause a tear in space-time and my last words will be "OF COURSE I NEED TWO GUARDIANS OF TARGA" before I'm torn apart at a molecular level. C'est la vie, telle est la science.

So, my question is - how is everyone planning to prune their game experience once they grab a hold of Forbidden? As is, FF has enough content to keep people going - two otherworlds, dozens of enemy types, cards, bosses, classes - you name it, the game has it in spades. I think it's best to come up with an MVP list - pick the best possible stuff/expansions from the Brimstone and add it to a system which is probably going to be updated with more interesting rules and interactions.

Is anyone going in with a plan? Or are you just going to mash everything together and have Undead Samurai fight Cowboys in a huge set of intestines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thus far resisted the siren call of Forbidden Fortress, but just within the world of Brimstone I started customizing when I integrated Wave 1.5 content. I wrote about it a bit here and in my replies further down the thread. Since then, the more I play the more I've enjoyed this system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Lieberoth
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose we'll start a new campaign in Feudal Japan to just experience the new stuff on its own, and then (at some point) mix the other worlds (including old west) into one big game experience.

If we're in the middle of a good campaign once the FF stuff shows up, I think we'll start by adding the Belly of the Beast (which fits thematically with the rest of SoB), and leave the Japan stuff out for the moment.

We've seen how difficulty scales in a weird way, with some of the new otherworlds (trederra!!!) thankfully upping the challenge level for experienced parties, so I guess we'll have to wait and set what fits what in the interest of fun and balance - e.g. will the japanese heroes be very different and have powers (e.g. related to barriers) that don't work too well well in the mine, etc.?

Since there's no Feudal Village (I'm pretty sure we'll see that as a retail expansion) I'm afraid FoFo will feel a bit tame, so we need a way to mitigate that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Right now, all my stuff is one big group and we just grab as needed. Wave 2.0 alone will probably make that untenable. I'm still working out the details, but my tentative plan is to divide everything into boxes based on "Core Game", "Heroes", "Otherworld X".

Core Brimstone: Rulebook, game tokens, current party Heroes (models and cards), play decks (Gear, Artifacts, Loot, and Scavenge), Town cards, and maybe* ubiquitous monsters like Hungry Dead.

Heroes: Frontier Town map, unused Heroes/townsfolk, unused Personal Items, and unused Skills.

Otherworld X: Each Otherworld would have it's own box with map tiles, map deck, threat decks, and models appropriate to that Otherworld. So Jargono would have Slashers, Hellbats, Snakemen, and Raptors. Targa would have Custodians, Pylons, and Guardians. (Yes, I have two.)

*I'm still debating what to do with generic groups like Scafford, Void Hounds, etc. I really like the idea of "Hey, there's a portal to Jargono here, so there's Jargono type creatures in the Mines too.", but I'm not certain I'd want to ONLY fight Jargono types all mission. My current thought is to have generics as part of the Core and then just sort the threat decks every mission.

Initial setup would be to create the party from the Heroes box. Then that can go back on the shelf unless playing a Town mission or a Hero has permadeath.
Each game session, pull out the Core set and one Otherworld. The rest of the Otherworlds stay on the shelf.

There is, of course, some uncertainty about how FoFo will mix into this, but we're thinking a random roll at the end of the mission to see if we emerge from the Mines in the same area and time period we left. We're also talking about doubling the cost of goods and services for anyone from a different locale. (Maybe only for the first town visit?) So the Wandering Samurai would be fine in FoFo, but get ripped off in Brimstone... while the Trederran vet gets ripped off everywhere.
We're also talking about having the world you start in biasing (but not pre-determining) the selection of Otherworld for the next Mission. That's still nascent too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm planning on treating the Mines and the Fortress as two separate Otherworlds, with their own threat decks, their own Gear cards, etc. Tengu aren't going to show up in the Mines, except as a wandering threat, and the Scafford Gang likewise won't show up in the Fortress. In addition, you're not going to find six guns and whiskey in the Fortress, and you won't find... sake and shuriken in the Mines.

I do plan on keeping the classes separated out, at least at first. "This campaign starts in the West; this campaign starts in Japan." Not to say there can't be crossover stories, but my Brimstone campaigns are pretty story-heavy.

As it stands, I've already got different shelves for different Otherworlds, with one shelf with all the various Trederrans; another shelf for Jargono; another for Targa; etc. (I even have a couple shelves set aside for the eventual Otherworlds of Blasted Wastes, Derelict Ship, etc, and I had to separate out Mine enemies into "creatures from the Void" vs. "creatures originally native to Earth"). My game room shelves are pretty much dedicated just to Brimstone, and I'm not planning on bringing it anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
I guess the trick of it is picking the All Star stuff from the current content and transferring it over. Also, while the wild west theme is unique and interesting, I'm in love with the Feudal Japan theme since I'm a hack and slasher at heart.

I'd put in Bel'ial, Cynder, Snakemen, and Void Sorcerers/Hounds for sure. On the fence about Trederra, as it is exceptionally designed and challenging, but feels odd thematically.

No Scafford Gang, Bandits or Undead Gunslinger. Revolvers don't really fit, but era-appropriate fire arms are great.

For Monsters, I'll probably not put in your base set commons (Hell Bats, Stranglers, Tentacles) if only that they're not very interesting to fight, but I might come around on that.

Honestly, I'll custom tune FF pretty thoroughly I think. I'm hoping they refine the mechanics a bit to make it more interesting, but after seeing their more recent designs I have no doubt it will be improved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of using FoFo and the Mines like different OTHERWORLDS.

And the GEAR deck that you use in random dimension, can be randomized, like: I'm in Cynder and I find a GEAR card. Roll 1d6: 1-3 it comes from the Wild West, 4-6 it comes from Japan.

Really really an excellent idea!

And once you visit it for the first time, you will open the option to visit the Town of that world. (Much like Blasted Wastes will offer probably).

Very, very excited about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C.
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
how is everyone planning to prune their game experience once they grab a hold of Forbidden?

I'm half considering back that Rising Sun kickstarter just so I can add the minis to FoFo and homebrew some stats...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
malifer wrote:
Ultros64 wrote:
how is everyone planning to prune their game experience once they grab a hold of Forbidden?

I'm half considering back that Rising Sun kickstarter just so I can add the minis to FoFo and homebrew some stats...

Pruning, which as far as I understand it is a gardening process by which dead branches are removed from plantlife to help support new growths. Thankfully has nothing to do with real prunes which are super gross.

Unless you mean why would you ever take any content away from Brimstone, which is totally valid. I just want to make FF into like... the greatest hits of Brimstone. So that way I don't have to plod through some boring enemies, but only the good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.