Santorini» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Thoughts on Santorini rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Fleet
msg tools
*note, I will not be talking about the Golden Fleece expansion*

Presentation:
The Art: Cute and consistent. The artist does a great job of creating unique art for each of the Gods/Titans/Heroes.

The Box: Could have been bigger. I get it, they wanted to keep shipping costs down, but if the box was maybe about another inch (or even half an inch) taller, the components would fit much better in it. As it stands, I have to pack the board upside down to make sure all the components will fit. Even better would have been some sort of tray solution, but again, I get it, trying to keep shipping and production costs down.

The Board: Comes in three parts, a base board, plastic “cliff” and the actually playing board (which sits on top of the cliffs). It is a little bit fiddle to get them to fit together every time you want to play, so I ended up gluing the playing board to the cliff. (Just a very small amount of white glue around the edge of the cliff, then a book placed on top for about 20 mins) Unfortunately you can’t glue the bottom of the cliff to the base board because you NEED the area inside the cliff to store components. And even then, you kinda need to place them inside, rather than just throw everything in the box. Again, a little fiddly. All that being said, the board is nice and fits the games's aesthetic

The Rules: Clear, and easy to understand. The rules also double as the reference for all the God powers.

The Cards: Tarot size cards, with nice pictures, and icons that ATTEMPT to describe how the power works. I say attempt, because in actual play, you really do have to go back to the rules to see how your power works. It would have been nice if they had just printed the wording on the cards, but I can see why they didn’t. If they want to produce this game in a different language, as it stand now, the only thing that needs to change is the rules sheet, they can just reprint the cards as is with no changes. So I get why they did it, but I do find it just a tad annoying.

The Building Pieces: Good quality hard plastic, hollow, but still durable, and fits the game aesthetic nicely. They also represent some of the buildings on the actual island of Santorini quite well (google Santorini, and you’ll see what I mean) The building pawns themselves are nice, muted colours.

The Storybook: A totally non essential item in the box is a storybook of Santorini, featuring new artwork and rhyming couplets it is totally unnecessary for gameplay, but is a nice touch, and it makes me smile to know that a company out there thought it was worth the cost to put this in (even if it was a stretch goal)

The Gameplay:
The basics of Santorini are easy, and the game is quite fun just playing without God powers. Move a square and build in an adjacent square, try to get to the top of a third story tower without your opponent blocking you. In many ways it plays much like a more advanced version of tic-tac-toe, blocking, counter blocking, looking for openings three or four moves ahead.

Then you add god powers and things get interesting. At first blush some of the powers seem really overpowered, but in play (at least thus far in my playing) they are ok. There are circumstances when you will have to be more offensive, or defensive, depending on what power your opponent has. Granted I haven’t gone through all the powers yet, (just the basic gods) so there may be completely broken god powers, but I haven’t come across them yet.

Trial by Fire:
I’ve only played this game two player. I know it is possible to play three or four player, but I haven’t tried that yet, and I can’t help but think it really is best as a 2 player, just going by my experience with similar games. I’ll write an addendum to this post when I manage to play it four player.
Thus far my experiences with the game have been overwhelming positive. It is a quick, easy, deep, fun game. It’s getting a fair bit of table time, and perhaps most importantly for such a simple game, it’s not boring yet.
*note* I also feel I have to add, kudos to the people in charge of the kickstarter, they kept me up-to-date in regards to production issues, and let me know where the project was at every step of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
storage trays yes. bigger box no. the box is already humongous for what the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally everything fits perfectly even with the golden fleece expansion inside it and with all the cards sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fleet
msg tools
Dapperghast wrote:
Personally everything fits perfectly even with the golden fleece expansion inside it and with all the cards sleeved.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that you can't fit everything in the box, just that it requires a little finesse to do so (ie. turning the board upside down to utilize the space, etc.) You are correct, you can fit everything in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celeste69 wrote:
Dapperghast wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that you can't fit everything in the box, just that it requires a little finesse to do so (ie. turning the board upside down to utilize the space, etc.) You are correct, you can fit everything in there.

Normally I'm for smaller boxes always, but I agree on a slightly bigger big or a better solution for storage that doesn't require taking apart the 3D board to fit the bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very interested in buying this game, but there's no way I'm assembling a little cliff ... I'm not twelve. I'll check further to see if I can throw away the cliffs ... and then maybe I'll consider buying it.

Cheezy is maybe the word?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
STICKPIN wrote:
I'd be very interested in buying this game, but there's no way I'm assembling a little cliff ... I'm not twelve. I'll check further to see if I can throw away the cliffs ... and then maybe I'll consider buying it.

Cheezy is maybe the word?

It looks cool, but is totally unnecessary for gameplay. Just ignore the lower board and the cliff piece, and play on the board with the grid and you'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.