Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an interesting situation just now.

I had three occupations:

Hunter: -1 to all die rolls.
Festive Hunter: A free hunt action if I had a meat feast.
Master Woodworker (or something like that): I could put wood on my huts like coins.

So, it came time for the last feast. I had eaten meat, so I got a free hunt. But I had already tetrised up my stuff so a successful hunt wouldn't help me. A failed hunt would give me a wood that I could cover one of the -1s in one of my huts.

We decided that I did not HAVE to spend my bows on the hunt, but I had to accept the results of a die roll (or reroll as per the rules).

My first roll was a 1, which meant I automatically succeeded. I rerolled a 7 and it was moot since I only had 2 bows and no wood and I stopped (which I could do as per the rules) and failed the hunt.

But say I rolled a 2 and had enough bows to cover it? Did I have to spend the bows, or could I choose to fail the hunt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleep
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
But say I rolled a 2 and had enough bows to cover it? Did I have to spend the bows, or could I choose to fail the hunt?

The Rulebook (page 18) wrote:
Failure
If you declare your attempt at this action a failure, you do not have to pay anything. (You may not declare a result of 0 as a failure.)

So, I would think you could declare a role of 2 as a failure in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you rolled a 2 and had enough bows and wood you still could have chosen to declare the hunt a failure.

What's matter is your final battle result (the modified roll).
If it's higher than 0, you can always declare a failure in order to refuse to pay.
However, if it's 0 (and you already stopped rolling), you must declare a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
In case you rolled a 2 and had enough bows and wood you still could have chosen to declare the hunt a failure.

What's matter is your final battle result (the modified roll).
If it's higher than 0, you can always declare a failure in order to refuse to pay.
However, if it's 0 (and you already stopped rolling), you must declare a success.

Actually, if it's 0, you must stop rolling and declare a success.

Page 19: "If your battle result is 0, you may not declare the attempt a failure. You must stop immediately, and you may not re-roll."

So in the OP's case, he should have stopped after rolling a 1 as rerolls would not be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rulebook (page 17) wrote:
In each case, you may roll the die up to three times. (Each re-roll invalidates the previous roll.) You can stop rolling at any time. When finished (and after modifying the roll, if need be), announce your battle result. Then declare your die action a success or failure.

The Rulebook (page 18) wrote:
Failure
If you declare your attempt at this action a failure, you do not have to pay anything. (You may not declare a result of 0 as a failure.)

There is no rule that forces you to pay anything after rolling a die.
The only thing that automatically decreases your hunting rolls is ore in your whaling boat (and some occupation cards).
You may stop rolling after any result (and must stop if rolled 0) and then you can declare your result.

See "Example of a Failed Game Hunting Attempt" after rolling 3 it states you can re-roll even though the player had enough resources to modify his battle result and reach 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Actually, if it's 0, you must stop rolling and declare a success.

Page 19: "If your battle result is 0, you may not declare the attempt a failure. You must stop immediately, and you may not re-roll."

So in the OP's case, he should have stopped after rolling a 1 as rerolls would not be allowed.

Thank you. When I wrote the reply I think I remembered having read that, but I searched for it at the wrong page and missed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.