T T
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
is there any game where each player controls a spaceship (or water ship, i prefer sci-fi themed games) and he flies around between planets buying and selling goods to make money to see who becomes the richest while possibly upgrading their ships? i saw Smugglers of the Galaxy which seems pretty attractive, anyone knows anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus is a great game that sounds exactly like what you want. You should try to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Eggert
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Check out the game called Space Dealer. It has an innovative sand timer mechanic that drives trade goods production, ship movement, and technology upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Merchant of Venus is a great choice.

Another out-of-print title worth looking up is Star Trader

Not as interesting (to me) but also in the right genre: Star Traders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in a solitaire game, check out AstroNavis Merchant Advanced. It's a print and play game and I think it runs about $10.00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T T
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
haha damn i found out a lot of good games are old.

thanks for the replies guys, i looked up those games and they do sound pretty intriguing, but the one ones are probably all worth a fortune (150$ for a new merchant of venus on bgg T_T).

are there other similar games but in different eras? for example during the colonization eras etc.? just trying to broadening up the scope a bit and crossing my fingers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Worm
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
X3 Reunion is sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How tall is justice?
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
Who IS this masked man? And WHY has he never been photographed together with 6 year old millionaire playboy Calvin?
badge
I see a world that's tired and scared of living on the edge too long.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a solo game, and there's some bookkeeping involved, but you may want to check out Star Smuggler. It's print-and-play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trailblazer from Metagaming is an interstellar trading game and is probably easy to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Ken, I think Star Smuggler is awesome. It has more of a solo RPG feel and certainly isn't light. It's print and play and it's FREE. It's only solitaire of course. The books are filled with typos and playing requires a lot of bookkeeping (like how much money you have in each bank of each system and hidden on your ship and in your cache's, etc.) but if you don't mind taking some extra time to get into it you'll be greatly rewarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
mothertruckin wrote:
I'm with Ken

I'm with Brett. Star Smuggler is a great game. And yes, there is a lot of bookkeeping in the game, but it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space dealer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Venture looks VERY interesting, but I don't think it is released, even though the relesase date says 2005. Worth checking out I think.

You could perhaps check Starship Catan or Starfarers of Catan, not quite what you are looking for but is thematically related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starship Catan is a two player game

Starfarers of Catan is a 3-4 player (though a good 2pl variant is here on BGG)

Andromeda - 3-5 player trading game, with some upgrades

Twlight Imperium 3rd Ed has an element of trading to it - and players can certainly upgrade things - but this is a mammoth game.

I hope this helps!

Good luck in finding what you're looking for!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
black_dice wrote:
thanks for the replies guys, i looked up those games and they do sound pretty intriguing, but the one ones are probably all worth a fortune (150$ for a new merchant of venus on bgg T_T).

Merchant of Venus pops up for a lot less than that on eBay periodically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my copy of Merchant of Venus last fall for around $50.00 on ebay, not including shipping. I bought it new many years ago, and I realized that, while I would keep the game, it was time to pass it on to someone else who might play the game. Had good trading, with good replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with everyone... Merchant of Venus

You might want to check this out. Lesser on the economics more political negotiation is Galactic Destiny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T T
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
star smuggler is actually a pretty fun game, too bad it's too hard and it's not multiplayer.

thanks for the replies, i looked up all those games, besides the old games (really want merchant of venus haha without paying 150$) the new ones have some interesting sounding ones like star vulture (interesting name?) and starship/starfarers of catan.

i read the smugglers of the galaxy reviews that it isn't that great?

the space dealers reviews arent really encouraging either haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One more vote for Starship Catan, which just happens to be my favorite game- great gameplay, cheap, nice components. Also look for the free print&play extensions by the author.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
Merchant of Venus is a good game. A little patience on Ebay and you can nab it for about $40.

Another suggestion would be 2038 - a 18xx game set in outerspace with base stations, resources, exploration, corporations, upgradeable ships, and a stock market to manipulate. Also, you can find a copy for about $20-$30 on Ebay.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.