Daniel Thomas
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After a series of (sometimes tight) fails, I finally was able to win epic Volkare’s Return a second time on Heroic/Tight (won with Tovak before). Randomly determined to play with Krang (additional skills of Arythea, which I didn’t pick at all), and once more it turned out that Krang is just awesome. cool

I ended up with 6 advanced actions, 6 spells (all battle-related, in all four colors), 1 Artifact and 5 wounds in my deck. Magic Talent is great: It allowed me to collect multiple spells and to play a few spells from the offer. Crystal Mastery gave me back all my spent crystals two times, which was especially helpful in the final battle against Volkare. Fireball, Learning, Agility and Mountain Lore were the other advanced actions, all of them quite helpful as well. The artifact was the Banner of Glory. It wasn’t that great, but at least it made one of my units a little bit stronger and gave me some extra fame.

Krang’s fellows were Illusionists (later on replaced by some other unit), Scouts (also replaced), Peasants (sacrificed in a battle), Utem Swordsmen (extremely helpful), Herbalists, Red Cape Monks and two Magic Familiars. I learned that these guys, powered with a green crystal, are great for healing. Krang’s skills were Battle Frenzy and Master of Chaos (both great), Battle Hardened and Mana Enhancement (both ok), and Puppet Master (perhaps the very best Mage Knight skill at all in my opinion), which unfortunately came too late to be of any use. Reputation was swinging between the 0 and -1 areas during the whole game, if I remember correctly.

Thanks to Savage Harvesting, I was able to conquer an altar (3 blue mana) in my second turn, giving me a boost start for the game. During the first two days and two nights, I was also able to conquer two mage towers, a keep, a monastery, and a dungeon (which I then entered two more times to get some more fame). Then - at the start of day 3 - I stood near Volkare’s camp, planning to uncover the city tile and then walk directly towards the city.

At least that were my plans. But see what I got:

In the first moment I was quite hopeless. A huge barrier of water and mountains was between me and the white city, impassable. But then I realized that my deck contained two cards that would make it possible to pass either the lake or the mountains: Magic talent, combined with Mist Form in the spells offer, and Mountain Lore. As I had neither of them in my current hand, I first took down the dragon in the lake. Then drew six new cards, hopefully looked at them and found nothing of use. Volkare was approaching the city, two squares per turn, as his deck was empty by now. I discarded all cards (what a waste of that turn), drew another six cards, hopefully looked at them and found Mountain Lore. meeplemeeplemeeple

I was extremely relieved at that moment, especially as I had two additional movement cards in my hand. In a single turn, I could now walk (or rather climb )) directly next to the white city, and then attack (and conquer) it in my last turn of day three. Volkare arrived next to the city, but fortunately couldn’t attack yet. That would have been deadly.

Night 3 started and I took tactic number 1, so I had one preparation turn for sure. I used magic talent, combined with a spell in the offer, as well as some other cards to get some more crystals (I had a huge collection of them by now). Then Volkare attacked. Three times in a row. Each time I defended, taking early turns. In the first attack I was lucky to have Crystal Mastery, saving me about eight crystals or so. I took out one white, two gray, two green and one red enemy, taking two wounds (that I could immediately heal), and injuring most of my units. But some Shocktroops and a Storm Dragon survived. In attack two I took a wound, used a spell to reduce the dragon’s armor to 11, then killed the dragon with physical attack. I was lucky to have Agility, so I could use movement as attack points. The Shocktroops survived, but I could easily kill them when Volkare attacked the third time. I achieved a score of 244, which is 4 points less than my Tovak win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report.
Btw, I see you mention the use of additional skills, which I've already read about elsewhere. Do you mean you add one extra skill to the common offer at each even level-up, as if there was a dummy player?
Is this a common house rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyrang wrote:
Thanks for the report.
Btw, I see you mention the use of additional skills, which I've already read about elsewhere. Do you mean you add one extra skill to the common offer at each even level-up, as if there was a dummy player?
Is this a common house rule?
It's the official rule.

Rulebook, Volkare's Quest, p. 14 wrote:
Cards and Skills: Remove the four competitive Spells from the Spell deck (numbered 17-20). Use cooperative interactive Skill tokens instead of competitive ones. If playing Solo, choose one of the other Heroes at random – add one Skill of that hero to the Common Skill offer after each of your level ups.

Same goes for Volkare's Return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh man I looked for that rule again and again but could never find it anywhere... I definitely have to download a searchable rulebook on my iPad.
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.