Subject: Bloodthirst Axe and Crits? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The bloodthirst axe allows you to roll 5 dice and each crit rolled is 3 hits. Plus, you get to reroll the crits for more possible hits. Is this correct? In theory a player could get 5 crits for 15 hits PLUS rerolls.

One of our players has Wisp (OP hero?) and she has the axe plus an 2 plus attack card. She can walk through anything and kill anything on the map, practically.

The axe seems overpowered. Am I missing anything or does each crit really count as 3 hits each? Do you guys think this weapon is OP?

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
The bloodthirst axe allows you to roll 5 dice and each crit rolled is 3 hits. Plus, you get to reroll the crits for more possible hits. Is this correct? In theory a player could get 5 crits for 15 hits PLUS rerolls.

The axe seems overpowered. Am I missing anything or does each crit really count as 3 hits each? Do you guys think this weapon is OP?

Lol! Well AQ isn't exactly about delicate balance - as you may have noticed. Yes the axe is very strong, especially with 7 dice. But so are heroes that ignore armour. Or re-rolls. I have also done a 15 hit roll with a magic attack with 4 re-rolls.

So yes, very powerful. But so are other upgrades and abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Compare it to what other stuff you could get.

Swords give you defense and rerolls too. Axe isn't that overpowered in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also, what, a level 4 or 5 upgrade? So you don't have it for long. Compared to other equipment you get at that point, it is great and strong, but not OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't actually gotten mine yet, but is there a chance that people are reading the cards ability wrong?

Does it specifically say that EACH crit gives 3 hits or does it say that if the weapon rolls ANY crits, you get 3 hits?

The later seems like it would be a lot more balanced and playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Ender02 wrote:
Haven't actually gotten mine yet, but is there a chance that people are reading the cards ability wrong?

Does it specifically say that EACH crit gives 3 hits or does it say that if the weapon rolls ANY crits, you get 3 hits?

No, he is correct. The exact wording is
Each Crit deals 2 additional hits.

So every crit counts as 3 hits and you roll again.
But it's a level 4 item.

Comapre to FrostBite which is a 4 dice weapon (6 against heroes with exhausted gear) and 1 defense and 1 reroll

Twinbolt a bow that rolls 4 and only saves allowed on crits

Burninante - a mass ranged attack with 4 dice

Hate - 5 dice and +2 extra damage unless targets exhausts everything

Death Swarm - Roll 5 dice and if any crits you get to bring 2 monsters back to attack with

Bloodthirst is good, but frankly so is everything else at that level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

But it's a level 4 item.

Comapre to FrostBite which is a 4 dice weapon (6 against heroes with exhausted gear) and 1 defense and 1 reroll

Death Swarm - Roll 5 dice and if any crits you get to bring 2 monsters back to attack with

OK, so I am playing the weapon correctly. Each CRIT is 3 hits.

You listed the other weapons, however, I'd take the Bloodthirst axe over any of them. A 5 dice weapons that hits on swords and every CRIT is 3 hits. With 7 dice she can kill anything on the board. As an example, she attacked my hero and got 14 hits. I'd take it over a +1 defense or +1 reroll any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Bghead8che wrote:

You listed the other weapons, however, I'd take the Bloodthirst axe over any of them. A 5 dice weapons that hits on swords and every CRIT is 3 hits. With 7 dice she can kill anything on the board. As an example, she attacked my hero and got 14 hits. I'd take it over a +1 defense or +1 reroll any day.

I would highly disagree with that. First, if you don't have any other ability that lets you attack more often, you'll need other weapons. Rerolls enhance all your other attack cards making you far more likely to roll crits anyway (even if each crit is worth less). They also add to your defense.

Defense is always useful.

Rerolls are also very important if you want to trigger certain abilities (like anything on a crit like Battle Cry)

I'm not saying one is better than the other, it depends on who your heroes are, what other equipment they have, who the opponents are etc

Both are equally powerful and are extremely valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

But it's a level 4 item.

Actualy the Bloodthirst is much powerful than anything in that lavel

especialy

Bloodthirst+CleaveII+Moon ring(I or II)+A card with reroll and hero like Chaz,Grom,Scarlett (they can have 1 or 2 extra dices)
I win scenario in 3 thurns and made huge amount of money for the next scenario, while oponents didn't

Its really just attack not defense, with 1 hero, but it was huge advatage for the final showdown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
tadej1986 wrote:

Nobody is saying it's a bad item.
But it's not much powerful than anything in that level.

The fact that you need a combo for it to work and even mention it's enhanced by specific heroes goes to show that it has uses sometimes but I can easily give you opposite examples for other scenarios where you are better off buying something else over it.

Heck, the above combo isn't even based off the axe. It's only viable because you have Cleave 2 (which is one of the best upgrades in the game if you have a melee character).

Anything with Cleave 2 and lots of attack dice is great for you and will do an equal job.

Let me ask you this, if you could pick Cleave 2 OR Bloodthirst? Which of those would you pick?

They both belong to level 4...

It's basically like saying "look how awesome life drain is. it's the best weapon in the game. If I use it with Chooloo and Celerity Stick I can constantly heal and kill anyone in PvP"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadej Vengust
Slovenia
Bistrica pri Tržiču
Slovenia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
tadej1986 wrote:

Nobody is saying it's a bad item.
But it's not much powerful than anything in that level.

The fact that you need a combo for it to work and even mention it's enhanced by specific heroes goes to show that it has uses sometimes but I can easily give you opposite examples for other scenarios where you are better off buying something else over it.

Heck, the above combo isn't even based off the axe. It's only viable because you have Cleave 2 (which is one of the best upgrades in the game if you have a melee character).

Anything with Cleave 2 and lots of attack dice is great for you and will do an equal job.

Let me ask you this, if you could pick Cleave 2 OR Bloodthirst? Which of those would you pick?

They both belong to level 4...

It's basically like saying "look how awesome life drain is. it's the best weapon in the game. If I use it with Chooloo and Celerity Stick I can constantly heal and kill anyone in PvP"

Definetly Bloodthirst but I will try to get both of them. If I got Decimator and powerful swords on previous levels then I would rather choose Cleave 2 (maybe) but definetly wouldn give Bloodthirst to other players. It is allways big advatage to get 3 hit for crits and with 5 dices that can easily be a loooot of hits.

But that is how I like to play and combo, because I prefer melee. Some people like to play range, some people like magic,, some people like to play defense. And they will combo in that way. But as I see when we play, no matter how somebody play, will always choose Bloodthirst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.