Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Maddux
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a solo player. I have played with Master Thorn in the Margath scenario twice now. The first time was a complete disaster, as I did not have very good skills or items to go up against Margath. However, on my second solo attempt I thought I was more than equipped to take him on.

I had the the Battle Sorcery skill which allows you to test spirit to deal 2 unblockable magic damage, plus a +1 to my spirit which means I was testing for 3. I also had Battle Robes (2 surge and 1 magic damage) and Twin Daggers.(2 surge and 1 damage) So there I was 3 tokens with double surge to get off Mind Meld, the Cripple surge ability(damage equal to surge icons) from Twin Daggers, or the Channel surge ability(2 surges to double all magic damage) from Battle Robes. Not to mention I had collected 6 Lore tokens, so I only needed to damage him 9 more times.

I cast both sets of tokens and to my dismay I had no faceup surges and Margath has 2 2x damage tokens, 2 damage tokens, and 1 double symbol. Well do the math, once he doubles one of the 2x damage tokens he is swinging for 8 damage. Even if I could flip to get a 2x surge to trigger Mind Meld I can't deal the 8 damage in response because Thorn only has 8 health. That one was over quick.

I thought for sure I was equipped for Margath so I tried to battle again just for fun, and to see if I had been hit with an outlier token cast. Well, I lost again. I never got more that one of my 2x surge tokens to cast faceup so I could not take advantage of the potentially hard hitting Cripple surge ability. In the second round of combat I triggered a Mind Meld that would deal significant damage, but it never triggered because he hit me for more than enough to kill me. I was discourage, but I thought maybe I still just had some bad luck.

I proceded to battle Margath 5 more times with the same skills and items just to see if I could beat him. I cannot tell you how many times Margath cast 2 2x damage tokens, 2 damage tokens, and 1 double symbol. Swinging for 8 and killing me even if I had initiative and triggered Mind Meld. Even when he had just 2 or 3 damage symbols showing he usually was casting at least 2 surges, so he was healing 3 and sometimes with a 3rd surge(sometimes a true 3rd token, sometimes doubling a surge) he was flipping one of my double surge tokens. I realize now that I was relying for to much on my surge abilites, but I'm just not sure what approach to take. It really hurts that Thorn doesn't have any shield, because with a lucky cast or a strategic flip Margath can kill you with one swing. I think I'm done with Thorn on this scenario, but I'm wondering for those of you that have had success, what kind of skills and items are working for you?

Thank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorn is hard to play. He needs the right items, but teleportation helps him get them. Battle Robes are great. So are the Shards of Fate, although Cursed Claw is a passable substitute. Lightning Rune is awesome, of course, but the Family Heirloom sword, in combination with any of the above items, can make Thorn into a real threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Maddux
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That is really helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Maddux
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Thorn is hard to play. He needs the right items, but teleportation helps him get them. Battle Robes are great. So are the Shards of Fate, although Cursed Claw is a passable substitute. Lightning Rune is awesome, of course, but the Family Heirloom sword, in combination with any of the above items, can make Thorn into a real threat.

Fantastic call on the Family Heirloom and Shards of Fate! I just won my first game agains Margath Solo gaming with Thorn. Shards of Fate and Family Heirloom were a brutal combination. I was even lucky enough to get the puppet master(?) skill that kills one of his tokens. I had 6 Lore tokens and with Mind Meld and the Family Heirloom surge ability I killed Margath in the first round of combat.

Thanks again! This has really pumped up my excitement for the game, and definitely given me a new found respect for Master Thorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Master Thorn is actually the only character I've played more than once--I just got the game last month! My daughter and I have been enjoying plays as Cat-Girl and the Headache Wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.