Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I now have unbound, mines of khurgan and the recently arrived thorn expansion, and the deck construction aspect is getting more important. Since I don't have the delve deck, I can't use the deck suggestions/scenarios on the Dungeon Crawler web site, but I want to build the decks so that it's challenging but not brutal or game-breakingly hard.

Any pointers on things to consider would be great!

Do you build dungeon decks where the unique characters are deliberately put late in the deck? Do you increase the difficulty by construction sections? Or do you just randomly take 80 cards from each and start playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worst Friend Ever
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
I secretly play games multiplayer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just randomly pick most of the cards.

If I put a unique character in I tend to add them randomly to the deck so they could appear at any time.

I'm not a deck construction guy so probably not the best help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson St.James
Canada
Winona
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
If it's ever only a card or two, you can proxy. But, this can be a pain in the butt. I dislike doing it myself but certainly have done it.
Don't worry about "layering" your deck, either. It's more likely that you want a unique character sooner than later - your Adventurers could be pretty depleted if it's too near the end of the deck. Just keep it random.
Try themes. Undead, or amphibious dudes, or stuff like that.
If you can't muster enough cards for regular play (80) then try Master at 60. It's a more difficult game, but just as fun! But at least you don't have to scramble for those extra 20 cards.
Start with easier Quests. The Damsel for sure (although that can be difficult at Master level). If it ends up being too easy, making the Dungeon deck harder won't be a problem.
Make sure you give yourself an actual chance to beat the Dungeon though. For example, if you're going to have a couple of Slimes and Crawling Swarms in there, make sure you have plenty of fire or some other mechanism to cope.
You've got to have some element of surprise though, right? If it's a 60 card deck I'd suggest that you design/plan out 40 of the cards. Make sure that you can satisfy all your quests within those 40. Then draw up the 20 additional random ones.
If you end up with a fun challenge please post it and let us know so that we can all take a crack at it.

Have fun.
Ps. I'll give you 0.3 Geek Gold for every Kobold Archer you slay! I hate those guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theclergy wrote:
If it's ever only a card or two, you can proxy. But, this can be a pain in the butt. I dislike doing it myself but certainly have done it.
Don't worry about "layering" your deck, either. It's more likely that you want a unique character sooner than later - your Adventurers could be pretty depleted if it's too near the end of the deck. Just keep it random.
Try themes. Undead, or amphibious dudes, or stuff like that.
If you can't muster enough cards for regular play (80) then try Master at 60. It's a more difficult game, but just as fun! But at least you don't have to scramble for those extra 20 cards.
Start with easier Quests. The Damsel for sure (although that can be difficult at Master level). If it ends up being too easy, making the Dungeon deck harder won't be a problem.
Make sure you give yourself an actual chance to beat the Dungeon though. For example, if you're going to have a couple of Slimes and Crawling Swarms in there, make sure you have plenty of fire or some other mechanism to cope.
You've got to have some element of surprise though, right? If it's a 60 card deck I'd suggest that you design/plan out 40 of the cards. Make sure that you can satisfy all your quests within those 40. Then draw up the 20 additional random ones.
If you end up with a fun challenge please post it and let us know so that we can all take a crack at it.

Have fun.
Ps. I'll give you 0.3 Geek Gold for every Kobold Archer you slay! I hate those guys.

Thanks - very inspiring! will get back to you on that gold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to create Dungeon decks by making piles of cards by cost, then select them randomly from those piles. 20 from each; 0 cost, 1 cost, 2 cost and 3+ cost. This way it's harder to meta your Crawler deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyhaze wrote:
I like to create Dungeon decks by making piles of cards by cost, then select them randomly from those piles. 20 from each; 0 cost, 1 cost, 2 cost and 3+ cost. This way it's harder to meta your Crawler deck.

Thanks - that makes sense - will try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just recently gotten to where I've got every set, so deck construction has become important to me too, but rather fun.

I'm going for a kind of home-grown campaign, so each time I play will be one leg of a (very) long journey. I'll use the same characters, but different dungeon and different crawler decks.

When thinking about the dungeon decks, then, I think about what the path of this journey might look like, in other words where the characters will be going. So the first part of the journey I figured the intrepid heroes might go through a dangerous forest, then maybe through some mountains, and finally into a very long, treacherous underground area (probably two different decks for that one). So far, I've only played the forest, but it was a good romp. I've built the mountain deck but have yet to play through it.

I built primarily towards theme, then. I separated all of the cards into type, then all of the creature cards into creature sub-type (this being mostly subjective for me). All animals, and most kinds of fey creatures made the cut for the forest deck, plus lots of poison traps and a smattering of what I've categorized as general monsters. I picked the Rescue, Stars Align, and Divine Plan as the quests.

It was great fun, in large part because I didn't plan to survive the experience. I wound up with quite a lot of monsters in there that were immune to harm, which proved rather dangerous for my party (I remember one Crawling Swarm in particular that chased the heroes all over the forest for days). They were able to succeed at the Rescue quest early on, but towards the end of the deck two of them had died, and no other quests had been completed. However, miracle of miracles, they were actually able to defeat an encounter of 0, 1, 2, and 3 cost! I tell ya, if there was an MVP card, it was definitely Tyro. Both of my last two heroes had Tyro when facing the Stars Align encounter, and it was the only way they managed to pull off a victory.

I'm looking forward to tackling the mountain part of their journey next. I think I will try it with the same Crawler deck, see how far I can get with that (it's got a lot of strong ranged options in it). And I think I'll switch out for a female character, to stay true to the fallen heroes and the rescued damsel experienced in the forest .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice to hear about these different approaches - have you tried Magic Realm? Judging from your description I have a feeling you will like it if you haven't tried it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:
Really nice to hear about these different approaches - have you tried Magic Realm? Judging from your description I have a feeling you will like it if you haven't tried it already.

Who me? Check out my microbadges... .

(Yes, I love Magic Realm)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
tilde72 wrote:

Ah yes, should have checked your badges!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilde72 wrote:
gogmagog wrote:
tilde72 wrote:

Ah yes, should have checked your badges!

That's ok, I appreciate that you're spreading the word! Keeping preaching, brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Armitstead
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have adapted a scenario from the website so that it can be played with an Unbound Starter and a Mines of Khurgan pack. It works quite well, and you can get an idea of how you could adapt more scenarios adding in your other cards.

Here is the link: Scenario

However to add variety is more difficult with only these cards, so I didn't do anymore, although lately I was thinking of going with the pack size of 60 as mentioned above. That would give more variety between dungeon decks and make the game more the length I prefer.

With your extra cards and maybe a deck size of 60, you should be able to adapt quite a few. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevesArmy wrote:
I have adapted a scenario from the website so that it can be played with an Unbound Starter and a Mines of Khurgan pack. It works quite well, and you can get an idea of how you could adapt more scenarios adding in your other cards.

Here is the link: Scenario

However to add variety is more difficult with only these cards, so I didn't do anymore, although lately I was thinking of going with the pack size of 60 as mentioned above. That would give more variety between dungeon decks and make the game more the length I prefer.

With your extra cards and maybe a deck size of 60, you should be able to adapt quite a few. Good luck!

Nice - have downloaded the scenario and will definitively try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.