Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall:

Fields of Fame is a very impressing expansion for Raiders of the North Sea. There are three new locations your Vikings can raid, new crew townsfolk cards, material for a fifth player, new blood/ wound tokens and a new mechanic that lets you earn fame which can score you points. On top, there is a new plunder type which is actually no plunder but Jarls that attack you.

New strategic options:

The new board not only provides three new township locations you can raid for plunder and points. There is also a new score tracer for fame which is converted into points like the Valkyrie or the Armory track. Fame can be earned in two different ways: either you overwhelm the locations you raid by a specific amount of exceeding strength or you face the new Jarl tokens.
Oh my, the Jarls… They are distributed randomly with the plunder during setup. When you raid a location with a Jarl token, you are attacked by a foreign Jarl. Now a Jarl card is revealed showing a very powerful enemy you have to face. Now, you have three options: you can flee which costs you fame or points – Vikings don’t like cowards! You can subdue the Jarl, but first you have to defeat him. This battle will wound your crew members and drastically decrease their raiding strength. In addition it will cost you lots of silver to bride the Jarl. However, if you are successful, the Jarl becomes a new super powerful crew member and will score you extra points at the end of the game e.g. for sets of plunder or killed Jarls. Or you can kill the Jar. This will screw your crew even more but awards you by a load of fame and instant points or resources. The important thing you have to take into consideration: wounded crew members don’t die by default. You will have to drag them with you all the time until you can heal them with some card effects or kill them for Valkyrie.
Jarls are great fighters with a strength of 5 or even 6. So, why don’t you try to subdue multiple Jarls to form an unbeatable Viking horde? The big points of the fortresses are yours to take. Well, it’s not that easy… Howsoever, a fight between your and a Jarl you encounter definitely is a glorious battel fit for songs and tales.

Résumé:

The Fields of Fame expansion adds a new level of risk and reward to Raiders of the North Sea. The new Jarls are frighteningly strong and nasty guys. They cripple your crew or make you poor. However, they can bring you fame and/ or serve as extreme powerful fighters in your crew. In addition, by overwhelming your raiding targets, you can score even more fame and points. This expansion makes the base game fiercer and your strategic and tactical decisions a little harder: Can you really afford to take this Jarl down? Will it pay out in the long run? But a Jarl’s strength will definitely help in future raids… Should you take the time to muster a strong crew for the bonus fame? Summarizing, Fields of Fame makes Raiders of the North Sea a bloody spectacle: Are you brave enough to face the Jarls?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write-up! Are the new townsfolk cards specifically related to the Jarls or can they be used by themselves? In other words, do you have to remove them if you want to play the game without the Jarls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the prototype I have there are 6 different townsfolk and 2 heroes. Of the townsfolk there are 3 that relate directly to jarls. There are 2 that deal with blood tokens without involving jarls, there is 1 that deals with only fame. Of the heroes, there is one that gets strength from fame and one that gets strength from wounds.

So you could use the cards that deal with wounds but not jarls, but then the only way to get wounds is by one of the new cards that there are three copies of and these give wounds to your opponents, so those cards would be seriously nerfed and you would probably want to remove them anyway.

That leaves one hero and one townsfolk (2 copies) remaining and only overkill on raids or that townsfolk to gain fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek
Poland
flag msg tools
Thanks Holger for this summary!!

Can you tell me how exactly you're subduing jarl (lets say, 6 strength, 3 coins)? Do i have to have more than 6 strength points on my crew cards to defeat him/her, then i'm distributing 6 wounds to my crew (evenly or is it up to me who is getting how many wounds?) and after that i have to pay 3 coins for a bribe?

What about weak crews, do they get loot even they don't have enough strength, despite loosing fame/points? And does fleeing prevent from taking damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subduing takes 1 less wounds than the Jarl's strength (so 5 wounds in your example). You have to be able to take the wounds, but can choose where to distribute them. If you flee the Jarl, the raid is still successful and you don't take any wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.