Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of gaming related, but off topic enough I thought I'd put it here.

Many players are color blind, and so colors like the reds can be hard to differentiate from other colors.

They invented glasses which help cure color blindness.

This would help tremendously in some games I think in knowing which pieces are yours and which are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... So they show examples in the video of how colorblind people see red flowers against a green background and they show everything as shades of brown. Is that really what it looks like to someone colorblind?

I know that I often have trouble telling certain colors apart in bad lighting, like blues and greens or blues and purples. But at no time would I consider those items colorless.

I had thought that enchroma glasses just filtered certain parts of the light spectrum so that you could more notably see a difference between shades that normally would blend together. I didn't think that suddenly you'd see these as color that you'd never seen before.

Has anyone used these? Can you comment on how they work for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Huh... So they show examples in the video of how colorblind people see red flowers against a green background and they show everything as shades of brown. Is that really what it looks like to someone colorblind?

At one point I found a bunch of photos on the web of "normal" and "all browned out like color blind people see." I showed these to a color blind coworker, and he said he could not tell the "normal" from the "browned out" photos, so yes, I assume that is approximately what color blind people experience. But I suspect it's not quite right to say they see brown. More accurately, they can't tell brown from these other colors. If you showed my coworker a picture where it was all in shades of red instead of brown, he would probably also say "Yup, looks normal to me."

There must be a bunch of color blind people here to give their first hand experiences, tough. It's not a rare thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm red/green color blind. I was shown one of those side-by-side comparisons a couple of days ago and definitely saw a difference, with the one the normal people see being much brighter and more vibrant.

I will provide the caveat that my level of color blindness does not seem to be a particularly burdening case. I can't pass an Ishihara test (http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm), but I seem to be able to see things better than other color blind people I've talked with.

With that said, while I've never tried Enchroma glasses, they do have a section of their site where they give you something an Ishihara test to determine how effective their product would be for you. They claim I have a 75% chance or so of enhanced color vision. I've been tempted, but they're expensive, and frankly, being color blind isn't much of a disability. Yeah, it kept me away from a few different potential occupations (I was attempting to join law enforcement when I found out I was color blind ... that was a failed physical!) but for the most part it's just a nifty fact about me, a quirky part of my identity that I just embrace.

As far as games go, only one has truly ever given me fits to the point where it affected my game play.... Container. The cubes in that thing are, I swear, orange, a slightly darker shade of orange, brown-but-with-orange-tinting, and a dull red. I seriously lost the one time I played because I couldn't tell the difference between a couple of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this some time ago. If I recall correctly, the glasses help only a particular kind of color blindness where red and green signals overlap so they're always activated together, leaving the person unable to distinguish the two color components. The glasses filter out the overlap area, keeping the existing cones from being activated together.

The company explains all this in their detailed material and (when I looked at it) offered a refund if the glasses didn't work for a purchaser. See: http://enchroma.com/technology/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchoma glasses are wonderful for the people who have exactly the right kind of colourblindness. Unfortunately, they only work for people whose red and green receptors overlap. No good for those of us who lack receptors of one type or the other, or whose colourblindness involves green/blue, or folks whose colourblindness is due to brain injury.

Enchromas also rely on fairly bright daylight or white lighting, and can get spooky dark at night or under artificial lights.

I took their test and received a sympathetic email saying "sorry, we can't help you". Nevertheless, I recommend giving them a try. Enough people get a positive effect to make it worth the effort. I wish they worked for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow those are expensive. I'm not colour blind but I do wear regular glasses, so it's nice to see that they also offer prescription lenses for people who might need or want both in one lens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I "pass," but my prescription is more than +4, so I'll have to wait. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.