Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milestones are completed at the end of a turn, so some milestones that say have "x" amount of something if for some reason you reached that level and then lost it by the end of your turn you would not be able to claim the milestone, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bedell

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
Milestones are not technically completed at the end of your turn. Technically, claiming a Milestone can come between your 2 actions. Though the rule book numbering 3 and 4 does cause some confusion. It also says:

"If, after an action, you met the
requirements for one of the available
milestones, claim that milestone and
follow the instructions on the milestone
card. You may only claim one milestone
per turn. If you met the criteria for
more than one milestone in a turn, you must choose which to claim. Sometimes claiming a milestone after your first action will end your turn."

To me, that means you are not only allowed to, but that you must claim a milestone that you are qualified for immediately after an action. Even if that may mean the milestone could cancel your 2nd action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having opened 5 boxes now, I would now recommend the following interpretation of the milestone rules:

If you take an action on your turn that coincides with a milestone requirement (such as the game 1 milestone "Explore the highest numbered site on an island"), you should claim that milestone immediately after the action which claims it. If you somehow manage to be eligible for 2 on the same action, unlock milestones should take precedence over non-unlock milestones, but otherwise it is your choice which to take.

Milestones which instead check for ownership of a thing, like "Have 3 structures" or "Have 3 glory worth of treasures" should be checked at the end of the turn. They can only be claimed if you meet the requirement at the end of the turn, and have not already claimed a milestone that turn.

A huge portion of the time, this will not matter, but if you find yourself in one of the corner-cases where it does, this pattern should resolve your issues from what I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official rules to my understanding:

* You are supposed to check for milestones after each action,and only after actions. (It's possibly to qualify for a milestone before your first action, but you still don't resolve that until after your first action.)
* If you qualify for a milestone after an action, you must claim the milestone
* If you qualify for multiple milestones, you can choose whichever you like, but you can only claim one.
* You can only claim one milestone per turn, so if you claim one after your first action, you can't claim a second one later in your turn.
* It's possible that your turn will end early as a result of claiming a milestone; this is dictated by the milestone's entry in the Captain's Booke.

[/official rules]

As JN said, you probably *should* choose an unlock milestone over other milestones, given a choice but the key work is "should". You still can choose, even when unlocks are involved.

I don't see any support for "have" milestones only being checked at the end of the turn. Officially, you always check for milestones of any sort after each action, and claiming milestones you qualify for isn't optional (except to the extent that you're limited to one per turn).

There is still nothing official as to how long you qualify for a milestone that results from an accomplishment. As an example for the non-spoiler game 1 milestones, let's say you buy a treasure that is enough to complete the treasure milestone, then on you first action you explore one of the top difficulty sights. Since you don't check milestones until after your action (in this case, you can't claim the treasure milestone until after the explore), you can choose between the two. If you claim the explore milestone, it's clear that you can claim the treasure milestone on your next turn (assuming the game doesn't end, you don't lose a treasure, and nobody else claims it first). If you claim the treasure milestone, it's less clear whether or not you can claim the explore milestone later, or if you have to explore again to claim it. For what it's worth, my suggestion is to assume that once you qualify for a milestone based on having *done* something, you continue to qualify until the milestone is claimed (make a note of it, if necessary, if the game ends before you claim it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
For what it's worth, my suggestion is to assume that once you qualify for a milestone based on having *done* something, you continue to qualify until the milestone is claimed (make a note of it, if necessary, if the game ends before you claim it).

I kind of agree, but I'd say they can claim it until the end of the game. otherwise you could create a situation where a player with a solid lead doesn't claim the milestone he needs to win immediately. Instead, he sets up further milestone claims so he can get a massive head start next game.

Edit: Come to think of it, that would be a strategy any player could and should follow, with a ruling like that. Only "cash in" milestones when they're about to be contested by another player, and save them up until you can actually win a game with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:

Edit: Come to think of it, that would be a strategy any player could and should follow, with a ruling like that. Only "cash in" milestones when they're about to be contested by another player, and save them up until you can actually win a game with them.

There is still the rule that you must claim a milestone if you can. This would make saving up a very rare opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked during writing, just to be sure. My rulebook says "You may claim a milestone", not "You must" or simply "claim a milestone".

Albeit it's the german version, but if the english version says it's mandatory, the german version needs to be errata'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rule says that completing a milestone can be done after an action and is the player's choice to do so.
People might want to do this as milestones give people upgrades, which could make their second action better.
However the rule warns you that if you do this and the milestone says to end your actions you will miss out on your second action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
I checked during writing, just to be sure. My rulebook says "You may claim a milestone", not "You must" or simply "claim a milestone".

Albeit it's the german version, but if the english version says it's mandatory, the german version needs to be errata'd.

Just to follow up on this: The issue will be added to erratas for the german version. Claiming milestones is mandatory and I withdraw all objections I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Box 5 spoilers)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
As long as you have the required chart (see the inset) and can come up with enough successes, you are allowed to attempt the exploration of the last column at any time.
(Late box 5 spoilers)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you haven't done so yet, claiming all of the milestones might be a good idea (to make sure you get the entire story, if nothing else), but is not strictly required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.