Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that action cards are first declared played and then resolved "in order of play". Does this mean they are resolved in the order they were declared as played? Resolved in initiative order? Or resolved clockwise from the speaker?

If they are resolved in the order of declared as played, is there an order to the declaration or is it a game of slap down? (Whoever lays their card down first).

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You resolve the cards in initiative order. In practice, though, it rarely matters, and I don't think I've ever played with anyone who really strictly used the rule as written, as it's more complicated than it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of 10 games, we had one situation where it mattered. It's more like a tie-breaker sort of rule. Rarely needed, but welcome when it is since it prevents a dispute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few times, yes But in those cases, I'd personally rather it just be a "play card" - "trump that card" thing.

For instance, with Direct Hit vs Emergency Repairs, I'd be fine with just having Emergency Repairs always trump Direct Hit, rather than have it depend on initiative order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly the situation I was thinking of. I like that workaround.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
That's exactly the situation I was thinking of. I like that workaround.

Just make sure you discuss it before the game, since it's technically a house rule. But that might go without saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Although it technically goes in the order of initiative, I would reason that Direct Hit should happen before Emergency Repairs (and in this case, Emergency repairs does not fire off, according to the rules, it would be used without effect).

Direct Hit is just a really precise shot that instantly destroys the ship. Hitting the main generator or something.
Emergency Repairs means that the crew manages to fix the ship before the next round of battle starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sande24 wrote:
Although it technically goes in the order of initiative, I would reason that Direct Hit should happen before Emergency Repairs (and in this case, Emergency repairs does not fire off, according to the rules, it would be used without effect).

This has been officially ruled on in the past; if Emergency Repairs resolves first, the damage is negated and thus Direct Hit is unplayable.

You could, of course, rule otherwise, but as the above, it would be a house rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
CyberGarp wrote:
Out of 10 games, we had one situation where it mattered. It's more like a tie-breaker sort of rule. Rarely needed, but welcome when it is since it prevents a dispute.

Unfortunately, if you play RAW, for that one situation where it matters, you have to do the little "I'm going to play an action card, anyone else" dance every time.

I use the following:

You may play an Action Card in response to another player's Action Card if you are ahead in the order of play. It is resolved first. (Another player still earlier in the order of play might play one in response to you, resolving theirs still earlier.)

This has much the same effect (Emergency Repairs beats Direct Hit if you're ahead in the order of play) but without the little dance.

There is a small downside that you can't fake people out by playing an AC that isn't what they expect, which you can RAW; there's a corresponding upside that you can't also fake people out into revealing their ACs when your own play is inadvertently illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Sande24 wrote:

This has been officially ruled on in the past; if Emergency Repairs resolves first, the damage is negated and thus Direct Hit is unplayable.

You could, of course, rule otherwise, but as the above, it would be a house rule

What I meant that if Direct Hit is first then the Emergency Repairs will still be used according to the normal rules. If not using initiative, then there would not be the case of using an action card without it having an effect. But yeah, the other way around, Direct Hit would not be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sande24 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Sande24 wrote:

What I meant that if Direct Hit is first then the Emergency Repairs will still be used according to the normal rules. If not using initiative, then there would not be the case of using an action card without it having an effect. But yeah, the other way around, Direct Hit would not be used.

Ah, I see what you are saying.

Yes, you are correct, because Direct Hit has a specific trigger that Emergency Repairs basically cancels, whereas Emergency Repairs HAS no trigger (except "at any time") so it could be played with no effect.

If using the official RAW sequence, of course, if you wanted to play Emergency Repairs, but your attacker announces he is playing a card and has an earlier initiative number, chances are you probably won't want to play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your insights everyone. I'll be sure to bring up this point before our mega 8 player long game tomorrow! Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.