Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
@FRAHMINATOR
mbmbmbmb
As a fan of Arkwright (and knowing this is NOTHING like it), I feel obligated to at least check out stuff that Risthaus designs.

I recall that Heavy Cardboard had some kind things to say about Visby, so I'm inclined to give this one a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
frahminator wrote:
As a fan of Arkwright (and knowing this is NOTHING like it), I feel obligated to at least check out stuff that Risthaus designs.

I recall that Heavy Cardboard had some kind things to say about Visby, so I'm inclined to give this one a look.

I need to go back and listen to what the HC guys said about this, thanks for the heads up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb J
United States
Westport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Visby is a *great* game - happy to see this v is forthcoming!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Cresswell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
I played a few games of Visby for the first time this weekend. Thoroughly enjoyable interaction with 2 or 4 players. Shall have to try it with 6!

Great to see that the game is getting a fresh Caribbean look courtesy of Klemens... Have to say I enjoyed the original Hanseatic themed characters (who will the Mendicant become now?) but the rest of it is all very minimally illustrated and poorly labelled (no numerical guidance to the specific card play resolution order?!) when the icons aren't much cop in the first place either.

Playing Stefan's cunning little production with an English reprint of his German published game will be a must in 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Visby is a real gem and I thoroughly recommend it. Santo Domingo will presumably be good too if it keeps the same game play, but I feel no need to pick up a copy when I already own the original. There are some downloadable player aids to solve the language issue, if you really want - I haven't found it a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not recommended with two, but Visby is two players only. What have changed to make the reimplementation a game not recommended for two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Risthaus
Germany
Wolfsburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Laner wrote:
This game is not recommended with two, but Visby is two players only. What have changed to make the reimplementation a game not recommended for two?

Visby was a "modular" game, that could be played with two players as well as with six players, depending on the number of expansions you have bought. The two-player-base-game together with two expansions (each having material for two additional players) is exactly what you have in the Santo Domingo box - beside the graphics, box etc of course.

The game feeling changes from two player to more players a little bit the character from strategy (knowing what to do to gain max. of your action) to almost complete chaos when playing with 6 players. With two or three players each chooses 2 cards, 4-6 only one card per turn. Some people prefer the "less-player-more-cards" version, some like the "more-players-less-cards" version. It depends on what you are keen on.

Hopefully, this helps to solve your issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runar Dankel
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stefan! It does. I can stop looking for Visby and just pick up Santo Domingo then. And while I am at it I might as well pick up Riga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.