Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all,

I find the situation with this game very confusing.
Is it still in production, or only the leftover and second hand sets are in circulation by now?

It's odd, that there isn't a single "buy it now" link on Ares Games' website, yet they have fairly recent news about updates.

Is it to late to jump on board at this point, or is this a sinking ship?

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
still afloat and still firing heavy broadsides !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
New wave of ships just came out, definitely still going full steam firing on all cylinders sailing right along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is absolutely firing on all cannons! As mentioned a new wave just came out.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is still within veer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's moving with the speed of a nor'easter wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the perfect time to dive into the deep end and other related puns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
new wave and new hex variant : it's time to embark !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einar J Wetaas
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of ships and core game to buy is because its popularity.
It is true Ares have a slow rate of new waves, but now this game is starting to become better and better. We now have most ship class in 3 different nations. We only lack some more Spanish ships and some 2nd rate ships.

When Ares lunches the crew and captain cards this game will be truly amazing. For us who got the crew and captain cards from the kickstarter backing are having a great time already:-)
New waves are underway but we do not know when they will be released.
And the Spanish ship named Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad are promised as a special ship pack. So there are great things underway.
The game may be played now with the points system With a lot of Choices from the three nations available at this time. This means that you may have skirmishes with different ships and types almost every time as people change their building lists. You may play your own scenarios, or see if you can change the history, playing one of the historical scenarios that are available for download at Ares home page.

This game is an amazing game with beautiful miniatures. It is an amazing historical time with a lot of great naval battles. For anyone who loves history and nautical theme this game gives you value for the money.
For anyone who are interested in this game there are still a small chance to get ships from previous waves at ebay. Those of you who want to invest in this game must buy ships fast. I think in near future it will be very difficult to find anyone who want to sell.
Many old and New ships are still for sale at:
miniaturemarket.com
coolstuffinc.com

You dont need every ship to play this game. You may have a good time just with the core game. But for more ships you have the choices of different building lists increases,and also the possibilities for playing more historical scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wetaas wrote:
The lack of ships and core game to buy is because it popularity.
It is true Ares have a slow rate of new waves, but now this game is starting to become better and better. We now have most ship class in 3 different nations. We only lack some more Spanish ships and some 2nd rate ships.

When Ares lunches the crew and captain cards this game will be truly amazing. For us who got the crew and captain cards from the kickstarter backing are having a great time already:-)
New waves are underway but we do not know when they will be released.
And the Spanish ship named Nuestra Señora de la Santísima Trinidad are promised as a special ship pack. So there are great things underway.

This game is an amazing game with beautiful miniatures. It is an amazing historical time with a lot of great naval battles. For anyone who loves history and nautical theme this game gives you value for the money.
For anyone who are interested in this game there are still a small chance to get ships from previous waves at ebay. Those of you who want to invest in this game must buy ships fast. I think in near future it will be very difficult to find anyone who want to sell.

Einar has summed this up pretty well. The time to get in is now. Start searching the web for any and all ships that might interest you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:

What's the source on the hex variant? Haven't seen anything on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne Engineer wrote:
pilum2008 wrote:

What's the source on the hex variant? Haven't seen anything on that.

The hex variant is a home brew use of SoG ships with hexes. Some of the "brews" use the Wooden Ships and Iron Men rules. Search around the SoG site and you'll find a number of discussions on the use of hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boyle
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some say the card driven movement system is the best thing about the game. Hexes, pfft that's for boardgamers, oh wait....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, hexes flatten all differences and give a quite lower control on speed, orientation and position...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was looking at the ares website and on this page http://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products it seems that though there is nothing new coming til at least june but then only the terrain packs are listed as sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was played several times at OrcCon (in Los Angeles) this weekend.

I played a quick tutorial with a friend of mine.

Unfortunately the Spanish were dropped from my recent CSI order... arrrh

Priorities... arrrharrrharrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just ordered some ships from my local gamestore in holland;
HMS Royal George, Montagne and Orient.
the order was delayed for a day because they were out of stock,
and is in the mail now after new stuff came in.

so it looks to me like this game is still very much afloat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Stu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got into it and picked up just about everything I want. Like most games here on BGG, play it and enjoy it. You don't have to keep buying things to make it fun.

I have hundreds of games that are printed or reprinted and never added to. Check out GMT games. I buy them, play them and enjoy them. Don't really need new ships every month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a hard time finding a starter that is not above MSRP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Jones
Netherlands
Leusden
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the starter set reprint is coming out in july, and a series of 12 more ships are coming out in august.

get it through your thick skulls that Ares is not fantasy flight.
just because you are not drowning in expansions doesn't mean the game is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you about expansions, I am more of a WGS player after all... but keeping the starter in print should be more of a priority since that is the sole entry point to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.