New South Wales
Here are the appropriate rules:
RRG - Spell wrote:
Some Spells, called attack spells, have an attack icon and a damage
value. Such Spells can be used to attack monsters.
RRG - Attack Action wrote:
1. Select a Attack Type: The investigator selects an Item or Spell
he has that has either a melee icon or a ranged icon.
• The investigator may choose to attack unarmed (without
using an Item or Spell).
2. Select a Monster: The investigator selects a monster from the
monster drawer to attack.
• If he has selected an Item or Spell with the melee icon or
he has chosen to attack unarmed, the monster must be in
the investigator’s space.
• If he has selected an Item or Spell with the ranged icon,
the monster can be any monster within range.