BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: Heavy is the Head - Game over, good wins! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: smug_is_still_a_turd [+] [View All]
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The King has died, and his heir has gone missing! The line of succession is broken! During this time of crisis, insurgents are sneaking into the realm looking to take over the kingdom. The only hope is for the kingdom to elect a new King - one that will heed wise counsel and enact the King's Justice swiftly to punish the insurgents before the flames of rebellion takes hold! But with each new day, the King's actions will be judged, and a new election will be held. Can the kingdom find a just leader before time runs out?!

Gameplay Summary

This is a game for 15 players. In this game, lynch will work slightly differently. Each resident in the kingdom will have the possibility to be King. The kingdom will vote for a King, using standard voting procedures, including longest held last vote. Whoever has the most votes at the end of the day will become King and will immediately enact the King's Justice by executing a resident of their choice. Play will then proceed to the night phase, which will be familiar to veteran werewolf players.

Lynch Time

Lynch will be at: 5PM BGG
Night Actions will be due by: 6PM BGG

Role Requests

Role requests will not be accepted for this game. They may be accepted in future iterations.

Mechanics

1. Each resident will have an order to Enact the King's Justice. This order must be set prior to the lynch deadline.
2. When dusk is called, the final tally to elect the King will be determined, and the King's Order will be immediately enacted, killing the person selected by the King. (See roles below for exceptions).
3. The announcement will read: "Slathe has been elected King, and has chosen to execute Slathe!"
4. If the King failed to set an order, the King will be wracked by indecision and commit suicide! This will be announced in thread.
4. The executed resident will have their full role revealed.
5. Play proceeds to the night phase, where night actions will occur, including a night kill by the Insurgents.
6. The next day, the kingdom will hold a new election. They can choose to elect a new, or the same, King. But whoever leads the tally at the end of the day will become the new King.
7. The game will continue until all Insurgents are eliminated, or the Insurgents reach parity with the good-aligned players.

Roles

Team Good:

Royal Advisor - You have the power to wisely counsel the King. Each day, you may choose to redirect an execution from one player to another. This must be chosen prior to the lynch deadline. If the King chooses to execute the player you have counseled against killing, then the player you recommend for execution will be executed instead. You cannot be the King and all votes for you will not count at the end of the day. You may not advise against executing yourself and cannot redirect the execute to the King.

Rightful Heir - You are the Rightful Heir to the Kingdom. If you are the last resident of the Kingdom alive and are left with one Insurgent, Team Good wins. In addition, you have a once per game pardon ability. Each day you may select someone that, if chosen to be executed by the King, will be pardoned instead and no execution will occur. This can only be done once per game.

Spy - You are investigating the residents that are assisting the Insurgents. Each night, you can view one player to learn whether they are an auxiliary member of the Insurgent team. You will receive a positive hit if they are the Strategist, the Recruit, or the Malevolent Advisor. Otherwise, you will receive a miss.

Informant - You use your powers of keen observation to witness the Insurgent's crimes. Each night you choose someone to watch. If they are killed by the Insurgents, you will learn the identity of the Insurgent who conducted the kill. Otherwise, you will learn nothing.

Shield Bearer - You are charged with protecting the residents of the Kingdom. Each night you will choose someone to protect from the Insurgents. If that person is targeted for a night kill, you will block it. Once you have blocked one night kill, your shield will be broken and you will no longer be able to protect the residents.

Villager (x5) - You don't have any special powers, but even a lowly villager could one day become King!

Team Evil:

Insurgent (x2) - You win if you reach parity with the remainder of the Kingdom. Each night, the Insurgents, as a team, will be able to perform one night kill. Insurgents will share a chat.

Malevolent Advisor - You have the power to malevolently counsel the King. Each day, you may choose to redirect an execution from one player to another. This must be chosen prior to the lynch deadline. If the King chooses to execute the player you have counseled against killing, then the player you recommend for execution will be executed instead. You cannot be the King and all votes for you will not count at the end of the day. You may not advise against executing yourself, and you may not redirect the execute to the King. You are a part of the Insurgents' auxiliary team. You win with the Insurgents.

Recruit - You are a part of the Insurgents' auxiliary team. You win with the Insurgents. You promote to full Insurgent if an Insurgent is killed. If you are targeted for a night kill, you will instead promote to full Insurgent. If at any point you promote to Insurgent, you will join Insurgent chat.

Strategist - You are a part of the Insurgents' auxiliary team. You win with the Insurgents. Each night, you may view one player to learn their full role.

FAQ

Q1. What happens if either Advisor is elected king?
A1. Any vote on an Advisor is ignored, and the player with the most remaining votes will become King.

Q2. If the tally shows an Advisor as winning the vote, who will be announced as King?
A2. The person who is actually elected King, and whose order triggers, is the one who will be announced as King.

Q3. Will it be announced if the Advisor redirects a kill?
A3. No. If the King orders the death of Player A, and an Advisor redirects it to Player B, then the announcement will indicate that the King ordered the death of Player B. Be careful whose advice you take!

Q4. Will the Advisor's advice action be public?
A4. No. These will be actions in Cassandra and will remain secret.

Q5. What happens if both Advisors redirect FROM the same player, and to the same player?
A5. When the Advisors agree on the same redirect, the redirect will occur.

Q6. What happens if both Advisors redirect From the same player, and to different players?
A6. The King is given too much conflicting information, and the original execute order will be enacted.

Q7. What happens if the Informant views a player who is protected by the Shieldbearer?
A7. The Informant will not learn anything.

Q8. Which Insurgent will the Informant view if they view a successfully killed resident?
A8. The Informant will learn the name of the Insurgent who enacted the order. If both Insurgents have put in a night kill order, whichever one is latest in time will be considered the active night kill.

Q9. What happens if an order isn't submitted?
A9. If it is an execute order, then the King will die from indecision. Any other order is optional, including views, nightkills, protects, pardons, and redirects from the advisor. If you choose not to use those powers, then there will be no effect on the game.

Q10. Is no lynch/no execute an option?
A10. No. The king must execute someone.

Q11. Can the Insurgents choose not to night kill?
A11. Yes, Insurgents can choose not to issue a night kill order and there will be no kill.

Q12. What happens if one advisor redirects a kill from player A to player B, and the other advisor redirects a kill from player B to player C (in this example, the King chooses to Execute player A).
A12. Player B dies. An advisor only redirects from the King's execution target, not from a subsequent target created by another advisor's redirect.

possibly more to come as needed...

A few rules clarifications from in thread:

- No n0s for any role.
- No Lynch is not an option. A King must be elected every day and must choose someone to execute. If the King does not have an order in, their indecisiveness causes them to take their own life!
- Execution is instant once Lynch Deadline hits - all execute, redirect and pardon orders must be in ahead of time (redirect/pardon are both optional). I recommend a placeholder execute order, though!
- The only way for NO ONE to die from lynch is for the Rightful Heir to use their OPG Pardon. This CAN be used on themself. As it's the only way for no one to die during the day, it will be announced that it has been used but not who was pardoned. The pardon will save whoever the ACTUAL person to die is (for example, if I'm King and choose to execute person A and evil advisor Slathe redirects from person A to person B, the pardon will only work if it's used on person B).
- Informant and Shield Bearer can target the same person on consecutive nights. Shield Bearer is NOT informed if they successfully protect someone.
- Recruit DOES NOT know the insurgent team until they promote.

Ending Note

This game is a trial and may not be entirely balanced. It may be refined in future versions based on the feedback from the play here. Thanks to Monogarden for helping brainstorm the mechanics and set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 0 / 15 In prep
General Rules

This was borrowed from mod!LJ’s standard rules post, with her permission. Thanks, mod!LJ! Some of this might not apply. Ignore it if it doesn’t.

Friendly Game: First and foremost, this is a friendly game. Don’t be mean to people. Things like name calling and personal attacks will not be tolerated and may result in a perma-ban from games if I tell you that you are crossing lines and you don’t stop. If you feel like someone else crossed a line, let me know, and I can talk to them for you.

Conditional Orders: These are accepted for orders, views, kills, et cetera. They can be things like “If Irina flips Seer, NK Belash instead”, “If 4th is lynched, view Lemon”, or even “Consider Ziilch my perma-backup view if I don’t have a valid order in.” They can’t be things like, “If someone hard claims Seer between now and dawn, protect them.” If you’re unsure, just ask!

Deadlines: All deadlines are X:X0:59. That means that if dusk is at 2pm, any posts with 2:00pm timestamp are valid. If Dawn is at 12:30, orders with a 12:31 timestamp will not be accepted. If a deadline happens and I don’t call dawn/dusk/give results/etc, you should still comply with the deadline. A mod will be there to make the call shortly.

Speeding Things Up: Nightfalls are valid options. If nightfall votes happen such that lynch results are locked, I will process dusk. If this is a game with vote manipulation, I will not unless there’s enough of a margin that any voting manipulation will not be given away. Unless I say otherwise, locking your game orders at night will speed up dawn.

Minimum Requirements: This falls between a Post for Your Life and a Proof of Life game. There is no minimum posting requirement, but if you’re not engaged in the game, I might replace you out. If you’re only going to make 1 post each day, they better be good posts. Likewise, if you miss a set of night orders, you can’t make them up, and I will replace you out. You don’t have to be omnipresent, but you need to be playing. This is at the mod's discretion.

ModChat Information: Doing anything akin to flipping your card or talking about the color of your hat will result in a modkill. This includes: directly quoting modchats, using or faking screenshots of anything in Cassandra, or having people verify information by giving out the 10th word or letter that they get. This could also include things like, “the mod was late giving out views. Tell me what time she gave them out.”

Starts When Full: If this is a starts when full game, as soon as the game fills, I will post a message saying that it’s full and giving people warning that I will put it into start mode the next night or shortly thereafter. The exception to this rule is a game that fills the week that it’s put up. Those will start immediately.

Other: If something comes up that I don’t address in the rules, I will use my best judgment when resolving it. If the Lynch/Night time are different in the OP and Cassy, assume that Cassy is right. If I screw something up, I will retcon or change things to even it out with both sides. If it’s pre-D2, I may re-roll.

Don’t be a dick.

Have fun!

More general rules may or may not be coming. But if you have any specific questions you would like addressed, please just ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Log

And on the first day, the Kingdom elected __________ to be King, and the mighty King ________ enacted the King's Justice on _________, a ___________! The Kingdom _____________.

And on the first day, the Kingdom elected RoyalApe to be King, and the mighty King RoyalApe enacted the King's Justice on Amaroq81, a Spy! The Kingdom wept!

In the dark of the first night, the insurgents murder SerWave, a villager of the Kingdom!

And on the second day, the Kingdom elected SarahBoBara to be Queen, and the mighty Queen SarahBoBara enacted the King's Justice on Kortemaki, a Malevolent Advisor! The Kingdom rejoiced!

In the dark of the second night, the village slept peacefully! No kill!

And on the third day, the Kingdom elected Mimikyu to be King, and the mighty King Mimikyu enacted the King's Justice on TigerDoodle, an Insurgent! The Kingdom rejoiced!

In the dark of the third night, the insurgents murder TheKnightofCups, the Royal Advisor!

And on the fourth day, the Kingdom elected Mimikyu to be King, and the mighty King Mimikyu enacted the King's Justice on Rhanddom, a Recruit! The Kingdom rejoiced!

In the dark of the fourth night, the insurgents murder Mimikyu, the Shieldbearer!

And on the fifth day, the Kingdom elected Stonecutter to be King, and the mighty King Stonecutter enacted the King's Justice on Pilotbob, an Informant! The Kingdom wept!

In the dark of the fifth night, the insurgents murder Doppio, a villager of the kingdom!

And on the sixth day, the Kingdom elected ShawnaD2006 to be Queen, and the mighty Queen ShawnaD enacted the King's Justice on Smugvid, an Insurgent! The Kingdom rejoiced!

GOOD WINS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Amaroq81
DeMorcerf
doppio
Kortemaki
Livia
Mimikyu
nolemonplease
PaperF
RoyalApe
SarahBoBara
SerWave
shawnad2006
stonecutter129
theknightofcups
TigerDoodle

15 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1716114
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 0 / 15 In signup
I can play this if it doesn't clash with Kats and has a late dusk- like 7:00 PM or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 0 / 15 In signup
twomillionbucks wrote:
I can play this if it doesn't clash with Kats and has a late dusk- like 7:00 PM or so.

I think right now I'm planning for a dusk of 5pm BGG, but if there's a lot of request for later I can move it back a bit. I don't want to screen anyone out by putting it earlier right yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mono
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be cool. Don't be all, like.... uncool
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 4 / 15 In signup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 5 / 15 In signup
We're a third of the way there, and a few players considering/pending sign up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that.
Re: Heavy is the Head - 5 / 15 In signup
I just signed up on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 7 / 15 In signup
Whoooaaaaa we're halfway there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crafting Table
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a terrible way to read Korte FWIW.
badge
Korte is STILL a black hole on d3.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 8 / 15 In signup
I just announced my candidacy for the throne on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 9 / 15 In signup
Alright, I'm in. This has a handful of mechanics that tend to stress me out, so I intend to try to play it more loose than my usual style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 9 / 15 In signup
5 more to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 11 / 15 In signup
The addition of Mr. Scamp puts us four from full. If we fill up before weekend is over, or sooner, we'll aim for first lynch next Tuesday with game starting Sunday night or Monday morning, depending on how hard cassie is to set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 13 / 15 In signup
One more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 14 / 15 In signup
Hey Gelrod and Jared,

I'm happy to discuss this with either or both of you, but this thread isn't necessarily the best place. Maybe GMs or one of the non-game threads is better.

To briefly answer, the mods in this game (myself and Mono), were alerted to some potential personality conflicts and because of the nature of the game and it being highly political, decided to remove Jared's sign up. A decision I'm happy to fully own and, again, discuss.

Gelrod, I'm not really sure why you're here posting specifically as this issue doesn't directly involve you, but if you'd like to be involved in the discussion, that's fine. I certainly understand a desire to support a friend.

Thanks,

Slathe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 14 / 15 In signup
JaredW25 wrote:
Slathe wrote:
Hey Gelrod and Jared,

I'm happy to discuss this with either or both of you, but this thread isn't necessarily the best place. Maybe GMs or one of the non-game threads is better.

To briefly answer, the mods in this game (myself and Mono), were alerted to some potential personality conflicts and because of the nature of the game and it being highly political, decided to remove Jared's sign up. A decision I'm happy to fully own and, again, discuss.

Gelrod, I'm not really sure why you're here posting specifically as this issue doesn't directly involve you, but if you'd like to be involved in the discussion, that's fine. I certainly understand a desire to support a friend.

Thanks,

Slathe
I think an open discussion is better because it gives people a chance to voice their views in a way that's fair and equitable. I don't really know how to have a discussion with a faceless mob, and I'd like to think the player list is comprised of mostly decent people who are willing to have an adult conversation rather than act like a faceless mob.

As such I will continue to post here.

This thread is for discussion of the game and game setup. I'd again politely ask that you move your player-related issues to another thread. Continuing to post here is only going to be disruptive. Whatever personality clashes you may have with other players probably is best addressed with them, and whatever problems you have with the mod decisions can be taken up with monogarden or myself by gm or in another thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 12 / 15 In signup
Now that you've made your concerns aware, I hope you'll move it to another thread to discuss with whoever would like to speak to you about it. People are free to stay or go as they prefer.

This will be my last response here, but am happy to talk elsewhere. I'd ask any players that want to engage in discussion to do so elsewhere as well.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to play this game. I enjoy playing with 90% of the roster, and the entire reason that I didn't is because I know what happens when I play with a few specific people. So I don't sign up for games with them. Getting a mod to kick them out of a game is something that I would never do and shouldn't be done. If you have an issue playing with someone, either work it out with them personally or don't play with them.

I was just going to GM this to Slathe, but I think that it's important to be said out loud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stone
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Ant Man Joke
badge
2nd Ant Man Joke
mbmbmbmbmb
gelrod wrote:
But in all seriousness, this passive aggressive "bullying" needs to stop.
You don't have to like someone in order to be adult enough to tolerate them. Jared has put serious effort into trying to soften his in-game tone. A number of you have met him IRL now and know that he's a good guy, a loving father, and a great friend.

Justify it however you want, but essentially "ganging up" on him like you're a fourth grader on the play ground is bad enough. The fact that you do it anonymously in order to freeze him out of the community is plain cowardly.

Now, I doubt Jared would want any part in a game hosted by someone willing to facilitate such juvenile behavior, but I'm horribly disappointed in slathe and mono here, too.

You can say that you're just trying to make sure people feel safe/comfortable/whatever, but you're drawing your own moralistic lines based on who you care for and who you don't. Allowing this type of behavior is as bad as participating in it and in my interactions with you both I'd expect better of you.

I'm not sure I can put exactly how I feel on the matter into words other than to say that I genuinely hope that at least some of the people signed up for this game will consider what they're silently supporting if they stick around. I've grown to know almost all of you over the last few years and I genuinely think most of the people on the roster are better than that. Supporting it, passively or actively, will just ensure it becomes more prevalent in the future.

Gel, I understand what you are going through. I've been bullied in my life and it is not a fun thing to have happen to them.

You and Jared are people I personally have no issue with. I enjoy having you in games, and I learn as a player from you in games. I personally don't have a problem with your more aggressive tone, because at the end of the day, as someone who thinks a lot about the game, I think you're always a benefit if you are on my team.

Monogarden personally told me this is a game that she designed with me in mine, and as someone who has grown close to her through countless games, I will continue to support her. I do not have a problem with Jared in this game, and I feel bad he got removed. The situation was not in my hands, nor should it be. I understand that Jared's behavior can be brash at times, and have gotten frustrated with him at points, but at the end of the day, he is someone who has had my back and has taught me to be a better player by the way he approaches the game. I understand that some people want a more laid back atmosphere, and I am fine with games either way.

I will stay in this game, because I call Monogarden a friend, and will stick by her, even though I have questions about the action that took place. I'm sorry that she took this action against people I respect in you and Gel.

This is my only post on the subject, but I thought a lot about it. I decided I wanted to post on it after a lot of thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Heavy is the Head - 10 / 15 In signup
The player issues got moved to another thread:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24951620#24951620

This game is still moving ahead and we'll wait until we fill. Still plan for first lynch next tuesday if we fill, though that may be less likely at this point.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, a Livia signed up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Livia!

I was considering rebooting this game into a new thread. If you all would prefer that let me know, otherwise I think I'll just keep it here. Everyone kind of is aware of the earlier issues and hopefully has seen that we've discussed and moved past it.

Still interested in running this game and hoping people will sign up and be ready to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Lindley
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I just signed up on Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wario Wario
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's a me! WARIO!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up to rock your faces off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [132] |