Subject: Roadblock to the Wall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/border-wall-funding-s...

Hmm, doesn't look like it will be that easy, if Trump can't make Mexico cut the check first. Trump's first test possibly? And maybe notice that promises can be hard to keep when, when Congress may not be cooperative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The tariff is ridiculous anyway: 75% of Mexican exports are not consumer goods, but intermediate materials for businesses. It's pretty complicated to change those, or re-source them. So who would pay for the wall? Mostly American businesses. And that's if Mexico does not retaliate with tariffs to US beef and corn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, a trade war with Mexico that damaged its economy would only create economic refugees who would then cross the border looking for work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for some Trump quotes on walls. Just for the fun of it. The last quote is my favorite.

"I will build a great, great wall on our southern border and I will make Mexico pay for that wall."

"The fact is, since then, many killings,murders, crime, drugs pouring across the border, are money going out and the drugs coming in. And I said we need to build a wall, and it has to be built quickly."

"I also talk about building a wall and oftentimes I'll say, and there's going to be a big beautiful door in that wall and people are going to come into our country because we want people to come in."

"Mexico is not going to build it [a wall], we're going to build it. And it's going to be a serious wall. It's not going to be a toy wall like we have right now where cars and trucks drive over it loaded up with drugs and they sell the drugs in our country and then they go back and, you know, we get the drugs, they get the cash, okay, and that's not going to happen."

"I have great relationships with the Mexican people. You've been seeing I'm winning every single poll in these primaries when they go out, when the polls come back in with the Hispanics."

"Is there a brick wall getting in your way? Fine. That happens. But you have a choice. You can walk away from the wall. You can go over the wall. You can go under the wall. You can go around the wall. You can also obliterate the wall. In other words, don't let anything get in your way."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
The tariff is ridiculous anyway: 75% of Mexican exports are not consumer goods, but intermediate materials for businesses. It's pretty complicated to change those, or re-source them. So who would pay for the wall? Mostly American businesses. And that's if Mexico does not retaliate with tariffs to US beef and corn.

I agree. NAFTA has been around for over 20 years, so most companies have treated it as permanent. Supply chains have spread across the boarder organically, without thought of the border. Given the US has a much bigger economy, the weight of tariffs would fall disproportionately on US firms.

Dismantling NAFTA is also an invitation for someone to go to Mexico and say, "If the bad old gringos are treating you poorly, we'll trade with you and we'll sign a long term agreement to do so." Maybe China; maybe Brazil; maybe Spain. China might no worry about making money on the deal, getting influence in North America would be enough; they're already conducting those kinds of trade missions in Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
CBS News this evening actually bothered to fact-check on this. They said that studies (not sure which) suggest the US may have lost 680,000 jobs due to NAFTA, not millions. I don't have details, but that's fewer than have been lost in manufacturing due to increased productivity, robots, computerization, etc.

Also a stat that US exports to Mexico support on the range of 6.5 million US jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.