Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: So... Where did the correlation between 'neck beards' and KDM originate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
Genuinely curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnTheMigrant wrote:
Genuinely curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It was me. My neckbeard extends a full nine inches from my chin and I shaved KDM into it. All the pictures were mysteriously destroyed, though. I'm not sure why. Then I got a cease and desist order from Poots. I guess he didn't like my narrative sculpture idea and game philosophy of Neckbeardism. Oh well. I'll house rule it and post it here on the website. That way nobody misses out on epic neckbearding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me want to sculpt some beards on my survivors. There's no reason they can't be a stout Amish community...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Do I need to post the Geek & Sundry article for folks? OK, you asked for it:

Quote:
If you want to know which gaming group to avoid, it's the ones that bring out kingdom death. With the majority of models being anime waifu, ridiculously proportioned women in everyone's favourite nonfunctional armour. And while you may ask what's wrong with that, the article neglects to mention the tentacle rape tit monster with pregnant attendants, a vomiting toad breast monster with its pinup model girls worshipping it, and penis headed gods. While those are cringe worthy on their own, it's when you get down to actually playing the game where it's little more than a creepy shut ins rape and torture strewn homebred RPG. I find it hard to believe there's so many "positive" comments about this game. Then again I've not seen a single girl say she loves the game and it's creepy, neckbeards-wet-dream setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha G&S is trash, and has been for a long, long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Are you quoting someone else quoting it, because I can't find the original source where they say that, but I -can- find someone else saying they said that (not saying either one of you are lying, just wondering if G&S have since taken that down since they seem to really to like it now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
fightcitymayor wrote:

Quote:
If you want to know which gaming group to avoid, it's the ones that bring out kingdom death. With the majority of models being anime waifu, ridiculously proportioned women in everyone's favourite nonfunctional armour. And while you may ask what's wrong with that, the article neglects to mention the tentacle rape tit monster with pregnant attendants, a vomiting toad breast monster with its pinup model girls worshipping it, and penis headed gods. While those are cringe worthy on their own, it's when you get down to actually playing the game where it's little more than a creepy shut ins rape and torture strewn homebred RPG. I find it hard to believe there's so many "positive" comments about this game. Then again I've not seen a single girl say she loves the game and it's creepy, neckbeards-wet-dream setting.

To be fair, the Wet Nurse would be an awful introduction to Kingdom Death. When I first saw it years ago, I was rather offput. Now that I know more about the lore (and now that I'm less of a prude) (and after I fell in love with Berserk), and knowing the game is becoming more balanced in sexualization, it really doesn't bother me.

I am intrigued to know if Adam had some designs in mind to expose our cultural views on the body o simply because he thought they looked cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a bizarrely ignorant and hateful comment. I'm not even sure who it's appealing to. Is there some class of jock-type that favors games but needs to segregate themselves from some sub-class of nerd that's unacceptably nerdy? I had to google "waifu". I have no idea what camp that places me in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
To give you a fairly serious and not politically charged answer, it came from before the game was even a thing. Kingdom Death, the miniatures range, was a series of products sold for and bought by miniatures painters. Miniatures painters have beards. I mean really, beards are like freaking omnipresent in this hobby. Probably a side effect to overexposure to acrylic paints.

If you don't believe me, go to your local hobby store during a miniatures game tournament (Warhammer 40K / Sigmar, Warmachine, Malifaux, Infinity, Guild Ball, etc) and count the beards. At least half the participants will have one, and probably close to 3/4ths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the comment quoted above was posted on facebook as a response to a G&S article: https://m.facebook.com/geekandsundry/posts/1156840121035113, not by G&S themselves. That said, I stand by my opinion that they are awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so it's just randos on the internet being hateful? Let me go find my shocked face, hold on a minute...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
That comment is talking about the pinup models - which are explicitly promotional material that don't actually have a part in the game. I can count exactly one females mini in the base game (out of 32?) That is maybe slightly sexual because her breasts are out. But that's not even inherently sexual.
And as for the "tentacle rape monster"... That's not even what the Wet Nurse is. And regarding "penis headed gods", also non-game material, and completely fitting with the theme of body horror.
If these are the complaints, then that guy must /hate/ Alien. Sexualized female characters, heads that look like phalusses, facehuggers that are actual legitimate rape monsters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

So now we're trying to stir up controversy based on some random Facebook comment from 8 months ago?

I guess people really want some way to pass the time until Poots posts an update...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That G&S post makes KDM sound like FATAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
And regarding the "rape and torture" comment
There is no rape in the game. Not by survivors, not by monsters, not even in the expanded lore. For fucks sake, the intimacy event specifies "two consenting survivors."
There is no torture controlled by the players. There is a murder event - also not roleplayed, not done by choice - and a few this similar to that, but those aren't the same thing.
It sounds to me like this guy heard about the game from someone who heard about the game from someone who heard about the game from a radfem website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Also, that G&S article is suuuuper positive about the game, idk where you got the impression it wasnt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is bull... Oh wait I have a neckbeard and love KDM... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:

So now we're trying to stir up controversy based on some random Facebook comment from 8 months ago?

I guess people really want some way to pass the time until Poots posts an update...

Agreed, not even sure why the person posting it here felt it was necessary to do so, other than to be a [The-T-Word-You're-Not-Allowed-To-Use-On-BGG].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
To give you a fairly serious and not politically charged answer, it came from before the game was even a thing. Kingdom Death, the miniatures range, was a series of products sold for and bought by miniatures painters. Miniatures painters have beards. I mean really, beards are like freaking omnipresent in this hobby. Probably a side effect to overexposure to acrylic paints.

If you don't believe me, go to your local hobby store during a miniatures game tournament (Warhammer 40K / Sigmar, Warmachine, Malifaux, Infinity, Guild Ball, etc) and count the beards. At least half the participants will have one, and probably close to 3/4ths.

Yea... No
That is a stereotype. Our local tournies are full of married men and popular guys. The only guy with a beard has a bikie beard. Not a neckbeard or Fedora to be seen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Papadios wrote:
This is bull... Oh wait I have a neckbeard and love KDM... whistle
HEY! I resemble that remark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The question 'why does it have this rep' is fair, especially if someone is new to kingdom death. Seems like a genuine inquiry and not stirring up trouble, and there are good responses here.

As mentioned above, that is an uninformed view of the game and it's community... uninformed and opinionated.

Confessions:
I love KDM, I am a radfem, but I have a very, very, nice beard. Like, luxurious. Lets crush that OP stereotype!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I wouldn't say uninformed, as there certainly was more than a grain of truth that many years ago that the minis were tailored towards a smaller niche audience that, stereotype and hyperbole aside, wasn't exactly feminist. Thus, "hauls a box of KD minis around everywhere" and "has some unpleasant opinions about / behaviors around women" having at least some statistical correlation was, for a while, an accurate observation.

It's certainly less the case now, and the quote is more negative than is perhaps deserved, plus there's a difference between buying a $[hundreds] set of minis because there's a really neat game you can play with them versus solely because you want to look at them a lot (because... yeah.) And at the end of the day it is still stereotyping, so you know, regardless of where it came from, I wouldn't prejudge folks with an interest in KD:M now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
One way we could helpfully fight this stereotype is to police our community for creeps and misogynists and call them out on their creepy misogyny. Also, we can help each other avoid the appearance of creepy misogyny, giving and receiving advice on our behavior without being offended or insulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
ErsatzDragon wrote:
I wouldn't say uninformed, as there certainly was more than a grain of truth that many years ago that the minis were tailored towards a smaller niche audience that, stereotype and hyperbole aside, wasn't exactly feminist. Thus, "hauls a box of KD minis around everywhere" and "has some unpleasant opinions about / behaviors around women" having at least some statistical correlation was, for a while, an accurate observation.

It's certainly less the case now, and the quote is more negative than is perhaps deserved, plus there's a difference between buying a $[hundreds] set of minis because there's a really neat game you can play with them versus solely because you want to look at them a lot (because... yeah.) And at the end of the day it is still stereotyping, so you know, regardless of where it came from, I wouldn't prejudge folks with an interest in KD:M now.

Honestly, when I first saw KD years ago, I thought something along those lines, but it has matured a lot since then. That was when the game was still in development, and the forefront was 'Behind the Wall' and 'Wet Nurse'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.