Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Jumping Spaces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How do you guys think jumping in this game works? There are really only two mentions of it in the base game, then quite a few in the FAQ.

Base Rules pg 16
Quote:
Movement
Used Task
0 Pick up a token in your space *
0 Drop an item (it is lost forever, unless it is a relic) 
1 Move from a glyph to town (or vice versa) *
1 Walk up or down a staircase (see below) *
1 Give one weapon or potion to adjacent hero *
1 Drink a potion (see “Treasure,” page 18) *
2 Open or close normal door
2 Open chest * 2 Open or close rune-locked door **
2 Re-equip *
3 Jump over pit (see “Props,” below)


Base Rules pg 17
Quote:
If a hero or monster is aware of a pit, it may jump across the pit for three movement points for each space crossed.


FAQ pg 12
Quote:
Q: What kinds of spaces can be jumped over?
A: Any terrain can be jumped over unless it blocks movement or explicitly prohibits jumping. Up through the Sea of Blood expansion, the only traps that can be moved through but not jumped over are scything blades and dart fields.


FAQ pg 12
Quote:
Q: Where can a figure land after jumping?
A: A figure’s landing space must be in a straight line from his starting space, following one of the eight main compass directions and crossing only jumpable spaces. Movement point cost = 3 (per space crossed). All effects active in jumped spaces that do not stem from the jumped spaces themselves are applied as normal, e.g., Grapple, Aura, Alertness, and the like. If the figure is interrupted mid-air and is unable to continue the jump (e.g., while being grappled or after receiving a web token from an interrupt attack), the figure suffers the effect of the space it came to a halt in. The landing space is subject to the overlord playing a trap (space) card as usual (i.e., the landing space is treated as if the figure moved into it normally).


So what I gather is initially you could only jump pits (props), but that it was clarified more in the FAQ.

I want to know if you think it is possible to jump spaces that don't have anything in them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Faulkner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the FAQ I would vote yes to jumping empty spaces, although it seems extremely situational and rarely (if ever) worth 3 MP to move 2 spaces.

A: Any terrain can be jumped over unless it blocks movement or explicitly prohibits jumping. Up through the Sea of Blood expansion, the only traps that can be moved through but not jumped over are scything blades and dart fields.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fret_gurglo wrote:
From reading the FAQ I would vote yes to jumping empty spaces, although it seems extremely situational and rarely (if ever) worth 3 MP to move 2 spaces.

A: Any terrain can be jumped over unless it blocks movement or explicitly prohibits jumping. Up through the Sea of Blood expansion, the only traps that can be moved through but not jumped over are scything blades and dart fields.


Terrain is actually a keyword in the FAQ and it is explained better. Mind doing a search for the word 'Terrain' and then see if your observation is the same? I don't believe terrain means just any space, otherwise, instead of terrain, they would have said 'space'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fret_gurglo wrote:
From reading the FAQ I would vote yes to jumping empty spaces, although it seems extremely situational and rarely (if ever) worth 3 MP to move 2 spaces.


Far from rare, especially in campaigns. It would be a key tactic for heroes to prevent traps landing at key locations or in critical circumstances if it were legal.

fret_gurglo wrote:
A: Any terrain can be jumped over unless it blocks movement or explicitly prohibits jumping. Up through the Sea of Blood expansion, the only traps that can be moved through but not jumped over are scything blades and dart fields.


'FAQ' wrote:
Large Monsters and Terrain
Large monsters interact with terrain (obstacles, props, and other space effects) in varying ways.

This is the definition of terrain. Various types of terrain were explicitly laid out further below in this entry. Empty spaces are not 'terrain'.
Note also that the original definition of jumping only allowed the jumping of pits. Ie, in the base rules you can jump pits but that is the only circumstance when jumping is permitted. The expansions 'expanded' the props and obstacles that could be jumped across explicitly prop-by-prop (eg lava and mud from WoD). This large monster entry in the FAQ enabled us to create a general definition for jumping by default without having to list out everything again in another entry.


BTW, hello to old friends. I'm not 'back', I think, just dropping by. I will clear some old mail in the next few days, sorry to those I didn't answer a few years back but it's been that long since I logged in!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
[q="fret_gurglo"]From reading the FAQ I would vote yes to jumping empty spaces, although it seems extremely situational and rarely (if ever) worth 3 MP to move 2 spaces.


Far from rare, especially in campaigns. It would be a key tactic for heroes to prevent traps landing at key locations or in critical circumstances if it were legal.

fret_gurglo wrote:
A: Any terrain can be jumped over unless it blocks movement or explicitly prohibits jumping. Up through the Sea of Blood expansion, the only traps that can be moved through but not jumped over are scything blades and dart fields.


'FAQ']Large Monsters and Terrain
Large monsters interact with terrain (obstacles, props, and other space effects) in varying ways. [/q wrote:

This is the definition of terrain. Various types of terrain were explicitly laid out further below in this entry. Empty spaces are not 'terrain'.
Note also that the original definition of jumping only allowed the jumping of pits. Ie, in the base rules you can jump pits but that is the only circumstance when jumping is permitted. The expansions 'expanded' the props and obstacles that could be jumped across explicitly prop-by-prop (eg lava and mud from WoD). This large monster entry in the FAQ enabled us to create a general definition for jumping by default without having to list out everything again in another entry.


BTW, hello to old friends. I'm not 'back', I think, just dropping by. I will clear some old mail in the next few days, sorry to those I didn't answer a few years back but it's been that long since I logged in!


This is quite correct for all the reasons Corbon listed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Can I jump over a tree to land in an adjacent tree for 3 MP instead of 4?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lanabound wrote:
Can I jump over a tree to land in an adjacent tree for 3 MP instead of 4?


Does this answer your question?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10092078#10092078

If not, would you be able to describe your question in more detail so I can picture it better?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
It does answer. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.