8 Posts

Karuba» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for an expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Michel Larivière
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karuba is a good entry game. However, this game suffers a bit from the copycat syndrome, where a tile just seems optimal in a certain location and all players would make the same choice. Therefore, the game needs "incentives" to attract players in different strategies.

I like the idea of the objective tiles (I've printed out the 4 available ones), but the associated points need to be better balanced with the difficulty of the objectives and there just needs to be more!

Therefore, here are a couple of ideas I throw around for additional tiles (along with the existing ones, with adjusted points). At the very beginning of the game, X-1 objectives per level could be randomly selected (where X is the number of players).

1 Point:
- Collect 1 small/big nugget (already exist)
- Move each of the 4 explorers (already exist)
- Move 4 spaces in a single turn
- Form a 6-tiles long straight line

2 Points:
- Connect each explorer to its temple (already exist)
- Form a 3x3-tiles cube
- Collect 3 small nuggets
- Collect at least 1 small nugget, 1 big nugget and 1 temple treasure with a single explorer

3 Points:
- Collect 4 small/big nuggets (already exist)
- Reach both the Purple and Blue temples
- Reach both the Gray and Brown temples
- From a 4x4-tiles cube

In addition to this, players could each start with 1-3 tokens (skulls or whatever) that, if used on their turn, could allow to either:
- Flip the current tile sideways so that the number is not face up
- Play the current tile on top of an already existing tile
- Return the current tile to the draw pile (for the "caller" only)

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice ideas.
I have no idea if the points are balanced.

onewingedangel777 wrote:
In addition to this, players could each start with 1-3 tokens (skulls or whatever) that, if used on their turn, could allow ...
- Return the current tile to the draw pile (for the "caller" only)

But this last one should not be a power reserved for the caller only. Any one should be able to use their token to veto a draw, which would result in a new draw and a return of the original tile to the pool for all players.

Quote:
Any other ideas?

A set of number tokens so that the caller can see his tiles too.

If you are using some method to draw numbers so that the caller can see his tiles too, then you could have 1 of the options for your 1-time-use tokens be:
Set aside the tile with this turn's number and play any tile in your pool. When that tile's number is drawn, play the set aside tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:

Have you guys seen the app for this?

It's quite fabulous:

www.dxsol3.com/karuba

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

It's quite fabulous:

www.dxsol3.com/karuba

Yes but if I wanted to play a computer game I would. Rather keep electronics off the table when playing tabletop games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just hope you realize there is already one expansion for Karuba: the Volcanoes. Played with that expansion for the first time this week. Love both the base game and the game with the Volcanoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Marano
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

It's quite fabulous:

www.dxsol3.com/karuba

Yes but if I wanted to play a computer game I would. Rather keep electronics off the table when playing tabletop games.

An alternative if you don't want any digital accessory app to 'adulterate' the game is to pick up a copy of 'The Game' (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173090/game). It contains single copies of cards numbered 1 to 100. Just isolate 1 through 36 and use them to select the tiles. And you'll get a decent new game to boot. There might be other games with similar numbered cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smarano wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:

It's quite fabulous:

www.dxsol3.com/karuba

An alternative if you don't want any digital accessory app to 'adulterate' the game is to pick up a copy of 'The Game' (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173090/game). It contains single copies of cards numbered 1 to 100. Just isolate 1 through 36 and use them to select the tiles. And you'll get a decent new game to boot. There might be other games with similar numbered cards.
\

I have a bingo cage. It works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chamberlain
England
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
We use screens around the player boards so others can't copy. You'd be quite surprised at how many people have a dumb moment and place somewhere without thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.