1 , 2  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Custom Investigators for Arkham Horror LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
These are a few of the custom investigators (and their special cards) that I have designed for the game:

DEXTER DRAKE

DIANA STANLEY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
FINN EDWARDS

MICHAEL MCGLEN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
MONTEREY JACK

TONY MORGAN

URSULA DOWNS

Also currently working on PATRICE HATHAWAY, LOLA HAYES, LUKE ROBINSON and WILSON RICHARDS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Earle
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do we get these cards for use in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
You have to print them on cardstock and then sleeve them. The investigator cards can be sleeved without a proxy back (since it begins the game in play), but the special cards will need proxy backs before you shuffle them into your player deck (to make them random).

The cards are designed with the Strange Eons software, available for free online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be in the variant subform. Look like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These are fun, and look great. Nice job!

That said, they are definitely overpowered compared to the characters we currently have.

Drake will easily be a 4-6 willpower character in most scenarios, and his assistant is basically an experienced "lucky" every turn, which is bonkers.

Diana Stanley's special power is clearly superior to Jim Culver's similar power, with it being an automatic success instead of just a "0", and getting +1 to a skill every turn with her robes is better than Daisy with an experienced encyclopedia in play (since she takes attacks of opportunity to use it).

Finn's second power is good enough by itself, comparable to Roland's free clue pick-ups, but even easier to trigger. Add on that he's always going to be at least evading at a 4 with his other power, and he's super good. Then his special card gives him 3 resources for an action a turn, much better than burglary? I guess this isn't too far off from Jenny Barnes's special ability, but also super good.

And McGlenn's Tommy Gun is super powerful, compared to something like Roland's gun, and McGlenn gets it for free instead of needing an action to draw it and action and money to play it. But his power to reduce all monsters by 1 health is crazier. Can he just run through locations with Cultists and kill them immediately for free?

I would weaken them all a bit across the board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Drake will easily be a 4-6 willpower character in most scenarios

Keep in mind that his willpower will plummet back to 2 when the agenda card advances, and that's often when the really bad stuff happens (new enemies come into play, agenda-related treacheries take effect, etc.). Sure, his willpower boost is substantial, but highly variable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
and his assistant is basically an experienced "lucky" every turn, which is bonkers.

This is part of the reason why I've specifically designed his unique weakness to be very lethal to allies. If she is in play, he will very likely have to sacrifice her to save himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Diana Stanley's special power is clearly superior to Jim Culver's similar power, with it being an automatic success instead of just a "0"

This decision is more thematic than anything else, since she is a reformed cultist and should have some immunity from cultist-related effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
and getting +1 to a skill every turn with her robes is better than Daisy with an experienced encyclopedia in play (since she takes attacks of opportunity to use it).

I made this ability Fast particularly because I don't like the attack of opportunity that using the Encyclopedia during a solo game always incurs. And limiting the skill boost to a single skill means that unless you're doing all investigating or all attacking, the skill boost is somewhat controlled.

Also, if you use the skill boost during the Mythos phase to deal with a treachery card (very tempting when Crypt Chill appears), the Cult Robes are exhausted until the Upkeep phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Finn's second power is good enough by itself, comparable to Roland's free clue pick-ups, but even easier to trigger. Add on that he's always going to be at least evading at a 4 with his other power, and he's super good. Then his special card gives him 3 resources for an action a turn, much better than burglary? I guess this isn't too far off from Jenny Barnes's special ability, but also super good.

Finn is my favorite custom investigator so far. His special card is very powerful, but his treachery always manages to screw with his cash flow, or deplete his stash and deal him some untimely damage.

I chose to enhance his agility and evasion based on his backstory, which involves eluding some backwoods cultists who want to sacrifice him to their cult deity. Also, like Roland, he's great for solo play because he gathers clues while he's busy doing something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
And McGlenn's Tommy Gun is super powerful, compared to something like Roland's gun, and McGlenn gets it for free instead of needing an action to draw it and action and money to play it. But his power to reduce all monsters by 1 health is crazier. Can he just run through locations with Cultists and kill them immediately for free?

Too bad he only has four bullets and can't reload with extra ammunition (not possible given his deck restrictions).

And no he can't kill the cultists for free because even with his bonus, the enemies' attack and fight cannot be reduced below 1. And when they're that easy to kill, you really hate to waste those valuable machine gun bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Winters
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, I love the quality of what you have done here, well done on all levels. But I also think like GameMasterXO that this set is investigators is overpowered. Any chance you could post weaker versions for those of us that would prefer your investigators toned down?

Some suggestions regarding how to potentially weaken these cards while keeping the theme:

DEXTER DRAKE
Dexter's Willpower should max out at 6 (+4), not 7.
Dexter's Magician's Assistant should not allow for a card draw. Also she should only give a +1, not a +2 to rolls.

DIANA STANLEY
Diana's special ability should give a +1 or +2, not an auto-success.

FINN EDWARDS
Finn's special card should give 2 not 3 resources/turn.

MICHAEL MCGLEN
McGlen should not get his gun for free, it gets shuffled into his deck and costs 4. Enemies get -1 to fight only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions. I will make the required changes and repost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ramsey
United Kingdom
Ipswich
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
These are brilliant Eric, really professional looking. Did you have to import your resources into strange eons? I have just downloaded it but it is a bit overwhelming, and doesn't seem to be an arkham LCG plug in available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I don't exactly remember how I got the Arkham Horror stuff but I do remember that there was an option that allowed me to add it from one of the dropdown menus at the top of the page.

As for the cards, I can't really take much credit, since the program does about 90% of the formatting. My only input is the card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
New content for Michael McGlen:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
GameMasterX0 wrote:
and his assistant is basically an experienced "lucky" every turn, which is bonkers.

This is part of the reason why I've specifically designed his unique weakness to be very lethal to allies. If she is in play, he will very likely have to sacrifice her to save himself.

And if the weakness doesn't show up or he uses it to kill someone else or has the new card that lets you have 2 allies in play?

I'd make her action fast but give her a horror every time she does it. And Dexter can take an action to transfer any amount of horror from her onto himself. He spends time comforting her and taking on her pain. And make her 2 strength, 3 sanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ramsey
United Kingdom
Ipswich
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
emart40x wrote:
I don't exactly remember how I got the Arkham Horror stuff but I do remember that there was an option that allowed me to add it from one of the dropdown menus at the top of the page.

As for the cards, I can't really take much credit, since the program does about 90% of the formatting. My only input is the card text.

thanks, I have found it now, what a program! credit is still yours for doing the leg work, nice one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ramsey
United Kingdom
Ipswich
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have now made my own custom investigator, based on my own favourite mythos character, Titus Crow. Not play tested and i think well over powered at the moment. Don't know how to upload here though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ramsey
United Kingdom
Ipswich
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
if interested try these links

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dGjTsc1wNRNmV1bmVFay1WbWM...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dGjTsc1wNRb3N0UFZCN2gwQ0k...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dGjTsc1wNRWWhLcmxJLWV4bkE...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dGjTsc1wNRQWtRNkNPZy1Eb0U...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluis Salvador
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Idea!
It seems over powered to me too, but it's a very interesting approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a single website to find artwork from Arkham Horror and other Arkham Files games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ramsey
United Kingdom
Ipswich
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I haven't found one. I have just googled the term I want and find most of it, or scanned from eldritch horror cards. The investigators of arkham horror book is a great source of art too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.