Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Battle line or Schotten Totten? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Per Sorlie
Norway
Levanger
Trøndelag
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle line is a better than the older Schotten Totten?

And... explain your opinion?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Battle Line better since the colors are much easier to distinguish. And if you remove the 10's you have Schotten Totten anyway.
But if you have access to a better deal for Schotten Totten, get it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had more than one game where my wife and I were down to the last 1 or 2 cards. Once, the game ended on the very final draw. Which means that in at least those games, we would have been draining out hands down to finish the game. I like the idea of getting at least one draw every turn, even down to the very end of the game. Otherwise, once all cards are drawn, you have perfect knowledge of your opponent's hand.

And I agree with David. Even though Schotten Totten's artwork might be a bit "sexier", it's not as good functionally. I put function over form.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gatewood
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games, and although they are slightly different (some may argue that they're more than slightly...), but for the same reason listed above - Battle Line is easier on my eyes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Battle Line and waiting forBattle Line Roland's Version to arrive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah...me too. I know nothing of Battleline but Roland's edition was just irresistible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making this thread. I've been wondering too. I've been also wondering which one would you say is easier to learn especially for those whose first language isn't English? I have played Battle line and I think the tactic cards can be a bit hard to understand. Is it possible to play Battle line without the tactic cards? Does Schotten Tottan has its own "tactic cards"? I would really appreciate your opinions on this. Thank you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:
Thanks for making this thread. I've been wondering too. I've been also wondering which one would you say is easier to learn especially for those whose first language isn't English? I have played Battle line and I think the tactic cards can be a bit hard to understand. Is it possible to play Battle line without the tactic cards? Does Schotten Tottan has its own "tactic cards"? I would really appreciate your opinions on this. Thank you.


The original edition of Schotten Totten had no tactics cards, but the current edition does and they are the exact same as the Battle Line tactics cards. There is only one small difference with the "scout" tactics card: in Battle Line you discard two cards to the top of the respective decks and in ST you discard to the bottom. Battle Line does not require the tactics cards; they are, as stated in the rules, optional. And, as said above, if you leave out the 10's, you are playing the original Schotten Totten just with different artwork. Also, when playing with the tactics cards, you really need the 10's as some of the tactics cards can make a 54 card deck too small. Do note that if you play without tactics cards in either game, your hand size is 6, not 7.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
nadigames93 wrote:
Thanks for making this thread. I've been wondering too. I've been also wondering which one would you say is easier to learn especially for those whose first language isn't English? I have played Battle line and I think the tactic cards can be a bit hard to understand. Is it possible to play Battle line without the tactic cards? Does Schotten Tottan has its own "tactic cards"? I would really appreciate your opinions on this. Thank you.


The original edition of Schotten Totten had no tactics cards, but the current edition does and they are the exact same as the Battle Line tactics cards. There is only one small difference with the "scout" tactics card: in Battle Line you discard two cards to the top of the respective decks and in ST you discard to the bottom. Battle Line does not require the tactics cards; they are, as stated in the rules, optional. And, as said above, if you leave out the 10's, you are playing the original Schotten Totten just with different artwork. Also, when playing with the tactics cards, you really need the 10's as some of the tactics cards can make a 54 card deck too small. Do note that if you play without tactics cards in either game, your hand size is 6, not 7.


Thank you, that was very helpful. I own Battle line but in the rules, it doesn't state that the tactics cards are optional. I must have a different rule-book. I wanted to teach it to my mother. Hence, the questions. Maybe once she gets used to playing the game without the tactic cards, I might teach her what tactics cards are for. Although, I do hope the game can still be great, with or without the tactic cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Battle Line and never use the tactics cards, the game plays so elegantly, they are just not necessary in my opinion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
We have Battle Line and never use the tactics cards, the game plays so elegantly, they are just not necessary in my opinion.

And I can't imagine playing without them. They add so many layers of strategy that playing sans tactics cards would feel very flat and more luck dependent.

To each his own. You'll just have to get it soon and play both ways to know for yourself. But even if I was teaching it, I'd only feel the need for one game without them. Then I'd jump straight in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khexhu wrote:
The new version of Battle Line has Terrain Cards as well which the newest Schotten Totten does not. My only real problem with GMT's Battle Line was the artwork so that's now at least two reasons to own the new Battle Line.

There are other rules differences between the two that I didn't realize until I purchased both. I believe I prefer Battle Line's but I've not played Schotten Totten nearly as much.


If by "terrain" cards you mean "fog" and "mud", then yes, the new version of Schotten Totten does indeed have those tactics cards. They are just called different things (blind mans bluff and mud fight).

And do give an example of other rules differences as I am not aware of any except the absence of 10's and the difference in the scout card I mentioned above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Khexhu wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Khexhu wrote:
The new version of Battle Line has Terrain Cards as well which the newest Schotten Totten does not. My only real problem with GMT's Battle Line was the artwork so that's now at least two reasons to own the new Battle Line.

There are other rules differences between the two that I didn't realize until I purchased both. I believe I prefer Battle Line's but I've not played Schotten Totten nearly as much.


If by "terrain" cards you mean "fog" and "mud", then yes, the new version of Schotten Totten does indeed have those tactics cards. They are just called different things (blind mans bluff and mud fight).

And do give an example of other rules differences as I am not aware of any except the absence of 10's and the difference in the scout card I mentioned above.


No sir I mean the Battle Line Terrain Expansion included in the latest edition:



Unless they do a real print run of it that version isn't really worth bringing up though. There were what, 150 or so copies made?

Actually only 100 copies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Khexhu wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Khexhu wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Khexhu wrote:
The new version of Battle Line has Terrain Cards as well which the newest Schotten Totten does not. My only real problem with GMT's Battle Line was the artwork so that's now at least two reasons to own the new Battle Line.

There are other rules differences between the two that I didn't realize until I purchased both. I believe I prefer Battle Line's but I've not played Schotten Totten nearly as much.


If by "terrain" cards you mean "fog" and "mud", then yes, the new version of Schotten Totten does indeed have those tactics cards. They are just called different things (blind mans bluff and mud fight).

And do give an example of other rules differences as I am not aware of any except the absence of 10's and the difference in the scout card I mentioned above.


No sir I mean the Battle Line Terrain Expansion included in the latest edition:



Unless they do a real print run of it that version isn't really worth bringing up though. There were what, 150 or so copies made?


I'm sure he will keep printing it as long as there is demand. There are plenty of other games/versions of games with far less than that owned and they still get talked about. Many games, kickstarter included, don't even make 500.


Sure people talk about them, but I still cringe every time someone brings up extremely limited out of print versions in reply to someone wondering what to buy.

It is possible they'll do another print run and hopefully they do since I think it the nicer looking version. The person who put it together sounded more wishful than confident that they'd get permission though, at least that how their post sounded to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.